Thread: Boost issue T2, wastegate solenoid?

Mitsu booster

Boost issue T2, wastegate solenoid?

So i've had boost issues with the stock setup, ever since i got the car. So i've been running manual boost control this far, with good results.
    However, i desided to tackle the issue now. The thing is, i get only about 6-7 psi with wastegate solenoid connected.
    I also ran actuator test with my otc scanner and the solenoid is clicking fine, and i tried blowing through it and it seems to work correctly ON/OFF. No codes either.
    I should get about 12 psi, right?
    I also ran sensor data while driving and got 149 / 3,66 volts max on MAP. What units is 149? I know it cant be kPa nor psi...
    I had the pressure source on top nipple and wastegate on the side nipple like in the vacuum diagram.
    One thing i noticed is that i think i am missing the "orifice" on the wastegate line.. Could this affect the way its been doing?

Hybrid booster

Re: Boost issue T2, wastegate solenoid?

149 is probably 1.49 BAR (atmospheres), but doesn't match your MAP voltage. With the engine not running your 2-BAR MAP should read around 2.25 to 2.3 volts (depending on altitude/barometric pressure). Anything below that is vacuum, anything over is boost. Knowing that, we can scale the voltage to equate boost pressure. The high end of the MAP voltage range is 5.0 volts theoretically, and less than that in reality. Just using the theoretical ceiling, we divide 2.5 volts by 15 psi and find each pound of boost is 0.1667 volts. You are showing 3.66 volts which equals about 10 psi (not the 6-7 showing on your gauge). To confuse things more, 1.49 BAR is about 7.4 psi, which is closer to what your gauge is showing.

As for the solenoid, one of your 3 ports is filtered to atmosphere, one goes to manifold pressure, and the 3rd port to the wastegate actuator. By blowing through the different ports, 2 of the ports will be connected. When you apply voltage to the solenoid, one of the 2 ports that interconnected will now flow to the 3rd remaining port. The one that connects to both ports (when activated to one, when not activated to the other) goes to your wastegate. The port that is blocked when not activated goes to manifold pressure, and the one that flows to common (connected to the WG) is open to atmosphere.

Mike

Garrett booster

Re: Boost issue T2, wastegate solenoid?

Quote Originally Posted by Vilpo View Post
    One thing i noticed is that i think i am missing the "orifice" on the wastegate line.. Could this affect the way its been doing?
    Yes, this can affect your boost!