Thread: 1991 shelby daytona electrical issues

Mitsu booster

1991 shelby daytona electrical issues

I have a 91 shelby daytona that was running good but noticed when you hit the brakes or turn on the headlights it would make the gauges move well now the car has quit starting. When you turn the key to start it turns over stops turns over than stops. If you touch the brakes the fuel pump comes on the check engine light comes on and it kills the dome light. You turn on the headlights and they dont come up but they cause all kinds of stuff with the gauges and lights in the gauges to do all kinds of crazy stuff. You turn on the four way flashers and the thing makes a buzzing sound under the dash. We have taken fuses out and when you take out the fuel pump fuse or relay the car will turn over but no start. Also when you turn the headlights on than off the car starts clicking under the hood by the fuse box without the key on. I have never seen anything like this and the funny thing is this car has no power options so you would think it would have less problems. Any help is much appreciated.

turbo addict

Re: 1991 shelby daytona electrical issues

Sounds like a ground issue for sure

Mitsu booster

You mean like a short somewhere? Where checking everything we can think of. Iam going to check the headlights and tailights next. Sure has me puzzled because it ran pretty good and all of the sudden no start. This car has more fuses and relays than some of the older turbo cars I have had. Plus this is a no options car not even ac.

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

What he is saying is somewhere, a harness is not properly connected to ground, not a short issue. If weird things start happening, (common ones being turn signals act backwards, turning on something turns something else off, etc, etc) then it is nearly always the case that a ground has corroded, broken or come loose.

Mitsu booster

I am getting codes 12, 36 and 41.

Mitsu booster

Well you guys where right. A fn ground going from the motor mount to the valve cover. We did the head awhile back and I couldnt remember where that ground went so I just hung it on the valve cover stud thinking it wasnt that critical. For shits and giggles I mounted it the way it was suppose to be and I think most of the problems have went away. I am still missing the ground from the intake to the firewall which is going to be fixed next. Thanks for the help its much appreciated......................Matthew

turbo addict

Yeah you definitely want that intake to firewall ground. Ive never seen a ground to the valve cover before I dont think. Its not the one on the side of the head is it? The big thick black wire with a wire ring?

Mitsu booster

I got the 1 to the head your talking about but this 1 goes from the passenger motor mount to the stud under the cam cover. It starts but seems to be running kinda rough. Idles rough and when you rev it to 2k it wonders around some. Now the tach isnt working or is intermintent. Going to do the ground strap to the manifold and put everything back together that we took apart. Thanks again.