Thread: Timing help

Garrett booster

Timing help

So I am fairly mechanically inclined... I put the motor into the car but when it comes to "mentally working on it" I need a bit of a hand... My cam and crank timing are perfect (yes I went through this already it is right) but I totally messed up on the int shaft and discovered that if I untension the belt and take the cam pully off I can turn the intermediate shaft clock wise with the upper cover off... I was setting timing and my dizzy is turned all the way clockwise ad the car feel like it need to turn that way more. If I turn the int shaft which way will I need to turn it to make my current timing where the dizzy is straight?

I would also like to add if I am turning the int shaft clockwise which way will my dist turn? Also I am 100% sure that my crank and cam timing are correct. Also because of a stripped boot it's very difficult to remove the the lower cover and its easy enough to do my method.

Thank you in advance
    Jared Miller

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Timing help

I do this, line up the crank gear, remove the dizzy cap, mark the housing/block for #1, than undo the cam bolt, slide off the cam gear with the belt-you can zip tie the belt to the cam gear, hold tension but let the right side get a little loose, keep the left side tight, then you can turn the rotor by hand until its in the right position, put the cam gear back on and your done.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

That would be persicely what I was trying to describe... I am going to put my motor at #1 tdc and what your saying is when I have that where should should the arrow on the dizzy be pointing at when it's correct? I am looking for about 14` of timing (I think) I can time it up perfectly late I just want to make sure I have enough room to adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by Dony409 View Post
    That would be persicely what I was trying to describe... I am going to put my motor at #1 tdc and what your saying is when I have that where should should the arrow on the dizzy be pointing at when it's correct? I am looking for about 14` of timing (I think) I can time it up perfectly late I just want to make sure I have enough room to adjust.
    There are no arrows anywhere per say, there are dots on the int gear but then you have to remove the cover. You could remove the dizzy and use a long, thick flat blade screwdrive/pry bar as the slot should be parallel with the block.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

I much ly disagree cause with the cap off and the little rotor thingy the shaft that is in the dizzy has a prominent arrow on the top of it

Quote Originally Posted by Dony409 View Post
    I much ly disagree cause with the cap off and the little rotor thingy the shaft that is in the dizzy has a prominent arrow on the top of it
    Someone put that on, I've never seen it on any of the dizzy's I've seen or have, unless I am blind, lol.

Garrett booster

I am adamant that they all have it... It essentially points the same duration as the little plastic peice that slides onto it

Hmmmmm, have to go look, damn you,

Garrett booster

If yours doesn't please take a photo :P just one you have the cap off pull off the plastic rotor thingy and voila

Mitsu booster

Is this on a TII style turbo 8 valve motor?

+1 on turbomanvan's tip about removing the cam gear with the pully on. A lot easier then loosening/tightening the tensioner.

Take the #1 spark plug out and make sure its at TDC. If your cam timing is correct, loosen the cam gear bolt and pull it away so the intermediate shaft is able to rotate. Take your whole distributor off via loosening the 13mm (I believe) bolt on the distributor bracket, make sure the shaft is parallel with the motor, put the distributor back on. Turn the rotor arrow so its pointing at #1 (I believe) and start the car.

Pretty new to the turbo dodge thannnggg, but if I'm not mistaken; turning the distributor counter-clockwise is advancing and clockwise is retarding, (correct me if I'm wrong). Anyways, adjust accordingly by listening to cars idle.

Hope this helps!

Mitsu booster

there is a very light indented line on int. shaft sprocket.i have wrkd on dozens of these and t1 and t2 and hav always found them.if noone has wrongly installed the oil pump,u shld b good.line up arrows on cam sprocket with where cam cap meets cyl head,align dot on crank w indented line on int shaft and dist shld set in very close or on no 1 spark plug wire on cap!light it off and pull coolant temp sens loose and use timing light.