Thread: difficult to get in gear

Hybrid booster

difficult to get in gear

So as some of you may have seen, i recently went through an ordeal getting a new clutch in the car. Everything seems to drive ok for the most part, however i have noticed a peculiarity that wasn't there before, and I wasn't sure if anyone here might have experienced the same issue and might be able to tell me what to do...

So for the most part the shifting is fine, however i have noticed that after backing up into my garage (up a hill) the shifter refuses to go into 1st or 2nd gear. If i push really hard it will "click" into gear, but i've found that if i push it into 3rd, it will go a little easier into 1st. If i shut off the car and come back later, it will slide in and out of 1st with ease.

I checked the fluid, and that's topped off, so i'm not sure what it could be? The shifter bushing gave me a really hard time going on, but it did eventually go on...maybe that's it? Any suggestions are appreciated, if it's something i have to live with I will, but figured it'd be worth it to ask.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: difficult to get in gear

Was the crossover cable adjusted when the replacement bushings were installed ?

Hybrid booster

I'm going to say no, since i installed the bushings, and i'm not sure what you're referring to. I didn't adjust anything though.

How would i go about doing that?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Is your clutch pedal/cable adjusted proplery? Could be the disc is dragging just enough to cause the hard shift. Is reverse hard to get into, IE it always clash's unless you wait 10 secs or longer?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

when i originally hooked the clutch up the pedal was super loose, but i pulled up on the pedal with my foot as suggested in the other thread and it's felt ok since. Is there any other adjustment i can do?

I haven't noticed any issues getting into reverse, though from force of habit i always shift to 1st then reverse when pulling up to my driveway...not 10 seconds, but there is a pause...

It's just weird to me since it slides right in and out of first pretty much every time unless I just backed it up the hill. (It did it once when i was sitting in traffic for a while..so it's not exclusive to the reverse condition). I haven't driven it a ton, so i don't have a lot of experience/data to pull from.

edit:

if it helps, i have noticed that it likes to hop when easing into the gears. didn't do that before, but in another thread someone had said the 4 pucks were more chattery so i just figured that was a byproduct. If i rev it a little higher it does it less or not at all.

It sounds like the clutch isn't releasing as much as needed. Stretched clutch cable or maybe even the clutch arm at the trans is in the wrong spot, or if its new, it could need some miles.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

Sorry for the delay...was off in another country...

anything i can do to check/fix the first two possibilities?

felt a little better today...but if i can check...why not...

What have you done since we've replied?

Hybrid booster

i tried pulling up on the clutch from within the car...but other than that not sure what else i could do to check for stretched clutch cable or how i'd know if the clutch arm was off?