Thread: cable shifter in l-body wiyhout cutting up the floor.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

cable shifter in l-body wiyhout cutting up the floor.

Does anyone know if a way to mount a cable shifter in an l-body without hacking the floor? I'm putting a 523 in my GLHS and really don't want to mess up the floor.

Thanks
    Andy

Hybrid booster

Re: cable shifter in l-body wiyhout cutting up the floor.

Just cut a nice neat hole which will fit the factory shifter cable gromet.

A nice round hole would be easy to plug later if need be.

Hybrid booster

or do a rod shift conversion on a 520/555

turbo addict

All factory cable 5 speed cars have "hacked up" floors.

turbo addict
    Just drill a few holes. If it were me buying an s car and someone did that to the car I'd thank them lol.

The holes for the cables are no problem. I want to mount the shifter without cutting up the floor.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Make a patch from sheet metal that will cover the old shifter hole and bolt it in so that you can go back to stock. Then cut and grind the base of the new shifter so it conforms to the shape the floor; then make four small stitch welds. The hard part is getting it all located correctly so the shifter fits correctly under the console.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Anyone have pics of this done? Or is it just a wing it kind of thing? I saw Rich suggests using a bracket/ block off plate from an automatic car.

turbo addict
    Just dew iettttttt

turbo addict

Piece of cake. I did it without seeing any pictures prior. This is the A523/A568 shifter, and the cables should be swapped.
    I drilled 4 holes for the shifter to mount onto the body. 2 more for the cables to go thru. A555/A520 will only need 1 hole.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Only one hole is needed. The other cable can use the automatic shifter cable hole.

For the base I got a omni automatic shifter base from the junkyard to plug the hole and then bolted a neon shifter to it.

-Rich

turbo addict

I've done this several times now with a555 amd a568's in L-bodies. Just finished a TII Rampage with 555. I cut out the hump in one piece and butt welded in a piece of 16 gauge steel. Now stronger than original floor. If needed I could always re-weld the hump back in. If you use a Daytona or Shadow shifter you will have a very hard time getting the entire console to fit properly without cutting the floor and making it flat. Using the neon shifter is a great idea if using a 523/568 as they are flat and lower profile. I also once saw a unusual shifter supposedly out of a early H body that was very compact. I drove the car around quite a bit and it worked good. This was on a 86 GLHS. That might also be a option for you.
    On tryingbe's pics, additional mods will be needed to fit the l-body shift boot and shift boot cover plate without having the shifter framework protrude through the cover. You will also want to find a Shadow bent shifter unless you are long limbed. Or use the old heat wrench like I do. 1st, 3rd & 5th are a long reach if you don't bend the shift rod backwards. It is important that the shift cables are run through console bracket exactly like tryingbe did otherwise your console bin bracket won't screw on and bin then won't sit properly. You also need to weld tabs onto base of shifter to locate console factory screws.
    Todd

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by OnLooker View Post
    The holes for the cables are no problem. I want to mount the shifter without cutting up the floor.
    Andy,
    Then what happens to the radiator core support when that stock GLHS intercooler just doesn't cut it anymore? (lol). Like others have said, a 555/568/523 transplant is an upgrade over any 525. No floor cut? Follow John's advice or put in a 555 then. and rod shift it. BTW- That's not a hemi dart you have there.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    Only one hole is needed. The other cable can use the automatic shifter cable hole.

For the base I got a omni automatic shifter base from the junkyard to plug the hole and then bolted a neon shifter to it.

-Rich
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Andy,
    Then what happens to the radiator core support when that stock GLHS intercooler just doesn't cut it anymore? (lol). Like others have said, a 555/568/523 transplant is an upgrade over any 525. No floor cut? Follow John's advice or put in a 555 then. and rod shift it. BTW- That's not a hemi dart you have there.
    Todd
    There are way around cutting up the core support. Here are my initial plans for the intercooler as long as the elbow clears on the top. All tubes will run where the stock cooler was.

turbo addict

My floor isn't cut and I installed a A555 shifter in my GLH just fine.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by OnLooker View Post
    Thanks

There are way around cutting up the core support. Here are my initial plans for the intercooler as long as the elbow clears on the top. All tubes will run where the stock cooler was.

2 doors are much easier than a 4 dr for installing intercooler.

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    My floor isn't cut and I installed a A555 shifter in my GLH just fine.
    Yeah but that shift boot and shift boot cover plate doesn't fit the way that shifter is installed.

turbo addict

Looking for better pic but here is 568 shifter installed in my 86 GLHT with boot and plate installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	todds 568 in glht.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	245.9 KB 
ID:	38631  

turbo addict

HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA