Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tach cuts out and powerloss light on intermittantly

Tach cuts out and powerloss light on intermittantly

Yeah another issue,kinda an old problem but got worse since. At half throttle,quarter throttle doesnt matter sometimes the car stumbles,powerloss light comes on and tach drops. I checked tps,cleaned bulkhead wires,changed hep and checked those wires...akkk...I dont have anithr 3bar to try. All the lm wires are nice and clean....

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

btw the car recoverys fairly quickly

Re: Tach cuts out and powerloss light on intermittantly

Okay,looks like my map is shotty. I pulled the 2bar from my Sundance then I loaded up a stock 87 cal.Car runs perfectly,it even fixed my fan coming on as soon as the car starts! Thought I post up the fix because it always seems like not to many ppl know how and the pot is useless.

turbo addict
    Hep. Hep connectors.

Thought myself, put on new hep,clean and tigthened connectors but it didnt fix it....it was the map.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

That is bizarre about the map and the fan??????????

But thanks for posting up.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Drove the car today even tho I thought it was too cold BUT wanted to make triple sure it was fixed...dam thing sputtered once...m'f unbelieveable! However the fan is still working as it should, thank god. Okay well its working thus far.....now Im buying a gd otc scanner to find the issue.

Hybrid booster

Sounds like what happened when I had a bad coil. I looked at it and saw it was leaking oil. There was some oil in the terminal where the main coil wire connects. Put in a new one and the car was good again.

Changed out coil, no change...

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I have this same problem with a customers 87 Z converted to TII status,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Well hurry up and fix it so I know what to do.. OR Ill let you know, whichever comes first! Ive checked tps, hep, coil and map wtf is left...some days itll do it once others itll be four and five times or not at all...gotta be wiring OR the computer.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

id be checking the power module wires b4 the LM wires

Checked,cleaned and snugged up...and it didnt help. But it deserves another once over for sure...thx!

Pulled the power module and lightly sand blasted pins,same intermittent gremlin....even retried backup pm no go..

Same old story,changed ignition,wiring harness front of engine and wiring harness rear of engine,no change. Still dropping power...?..?..guess next plan of attach is alternator.

I have the same problem. Power cuts out, tach goes to zero, PW light comes on, then everything comes back on. It can last 1 second or 4 seconds, but usually comes back on. Thought it was the socketed LM that I have, so I hard wired a chip extender on the board that goes to my Ostrich and that seemed to stop it. About a week or so ago, it started back up. SEEMS to do it more when it's warmer.

I've swapped the HEP, the PM, coils, checked connectors for all mentioned, my fuses (went to a fuse box), put terminal grease on things, nothing. I'm leaning towards either a bad relay, the ignition switch or possibly a wire grounding somewhere, although I've checked that too. I say a wire grounding because I took this off/on ramp at about 55-60 the other day and it cut out when it was really hard in the turn and I thought maybe something was shifting in the engine bay. Thought about the contacts on the alternator against the radiator, but there's plenty of clearance with mine. I've also thought maybe I have a bad alternator that is doing something to the electrical, because I have gone through like 4-5 coils prior to correcting the LM socket (which the chip WAS loose and probably a culprit as well).

I am at a loss, but if I find out what the issue is, I'll let you know. One thing I have noticed on mine, sometimes when I start the car, the fuel pump doesn't prime and when trying to start the tach does not move at all. I turn the ignition off, turn it back on and the pump primes, the tach needle moves and then when starting the tach needle bounces around until it starts. That is why I'm leaning to a relay or the ignition switch.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Sounds like a gremlin that I chased in my Charger for several months. First thing I tried was the HEP, but still it still did it. I tried the coil, the battery, disconnected my shift light, swapped power modules, and went through the wiring with a fine tooth comb. In the end, it actually was the HEP afterall. I had swapped in a "known good" one, but left the wires dangling. As they rock back and forth with the motion of the car, they seem to lose conductivity briefly. The wires on those things are incredibly thin under their insulation. Swap in a different HEP again, and zip tie the wires to something so they can't move around. Charger has been dead reliable ever since.

In fact, I think I'm going to take it to town to pick up the transmission stuff for the GLHS today.

Ive tried a new ignition switch,no good....you can wiggle everything wire like under the hood and cannot make it repeat while its sitting at idle,but it will do it on its own. I unhooked alternator no change from running on just battery...wtf...

I to am feeling pretty despondent over it, Ive changed all the relays...today its actinsadly,bad enough Im not even going to drive it until i get this sorted out and by looks of things might be awhile...akk...its def not hep connectors.

Update...this is f'kn joke,guess thtas why they called these '---- box dodge'.....bout time fora new'er car. Ive got another lm coming if this doesnt fix it its getting parted, with that money along Ill be able to pickup an SRT......

turbo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by trannybuster View Post
    Update...this is f'kn joke,guess thtas why they called these '---- box dodge'.....bout time fora new'er car. Ive got another lm coming if this doesnt fix it its getting parted, with that money along Ill be able to pickup an SRT......
    Lol. Sometimes I feel the same way.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast