Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Power Steering pump with an electric unit questions.

turbo addict

Replacing Power Steering pump with an electric unit questions.

So here is the deal. Last year I removed the power steering pump on my 95 SOHC Neon. I LOVE the feel on the road, but was sondering if I can rig up an electric power steering pump in place of the original pulley operated one. I know that some (if not all) Toyota MR2s had them and the wife's Prius does too, along with some Jeeps and GMs? These units are kind of pricy at the yards so I was even thinking of modifing an electric water pump that is used to circulate water in the fish tank of a boat. I used one of these "water guppys" a few years ago on the old Four Play Horizon that I used to race.

Does anyone know how much psi the power steering pump put out. I plan on using a switch so I only use it when parking. Any ideas out there?
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

turbo addict

Re: Replacing Power Steering pump with an electric unit questions.

The stock P/S pump varies it's output based on the shuttle valve in the rack giving feedback, but maximum is probably in the 1500psi range given the fittings and the line used on the pressure side. A water recirc pump isn't going to do the job.

I've also been thinking about this exact mod myself, especially after seeing and feeling it done in person on a Honda.

The 2nd generation MR2 is the easiest and least expensive option that I've seen. You can get pumps on ebay for as little as $150. You don't need all the electronics to run the variable assistance, just run it 100%. I read a few forums that people do this with good results and that's the way the Honda I experienced was running it. The good news is that the variable assist is basically a stand-alone system in those cars, so if you wanted to run it, you could nab all the stuff from a wrecker and adapt it to your car! The unit is about 25# from what they told me, and can draw a good amount of power, BUT, it frees up that whole side of the engine AND you can place it wherever you want as long as it'll fit.

Minis also run these types of pumps, but they seems to be about 3 times as expensive whenever I find them.

I'm interested to see if you actually go this route as I am pretty serious about doing it to my car eventually.

turbo addict

Steve Calder has a MR2 pump installed on his CSX. Pretty slick!

turbo addict

Damn it! Every time I think I have a unique idea for our cars! LOL

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Yeah, water pump won't cut it, not enough pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Rbryants also been tossing this idea around for years,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

I have one of the MR2 units (the older style) installed on my GLHS on the back of the 2.4l engine in place of the rear accessory but of course I haven't fired it up.

I made a bracket for it if you need one I can probably make another.

I had to modify the pressure hose to take the right fittings because the MR2 unit uses an inverted flare fitting instead of the oring style fitting. I ended up making it all AN fittings.

-Rich

Garrett booster

I know my dads old 02 jeep grand Cherokee overland the power steering pump powered the cooling fan also

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dony409 View Post
    I know my dads old 02 jeep grand Cherokee overland the power steering pump powered the cooling fan also
    ...Huh?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

Yup, they did for a few years. Never understood that.

Ford and GM did the "hydroboost" thing too, power brake assist provided by power steering pump pressure.
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

My old 93 Toyota Camry XLE had a hydraulic (power steering pump powered) cooling fan as well.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    ...Huh?
    Yep, fan is powered by the power steering, royal PITA to work on.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Big_P View Post
    Yup, they did for a few years. Never understood that.

Ford and GM did the "hydroboost" thing too, power brake assist provided by power steering pump pressure.
    Yes, I am very familiar with these systems. Really not bad systems at all I think. I was under a 2011 Ford F150 today and it has an electric/hydraulic front steering rack. Too bad the trans front pump seal was leaking at 10,000 miles.....

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Weird.... looks like some Vipers had a hydraulic cooling fan too. If I had to guess on a reason... small fan with high pitch blades. Perhaps needed more power than an electric motor could deliver?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I had lasic done back in 2006 and I had to use bifocals to read, but could see to infinity! On vacation I was using cheapo reading glasses for maps and then regualr sun glasses to drive. I came up with the idea of cling on lenses for sunglasses.....went to Walgreens to buy another pair of readers and sure enough, cling on bifocal lenses were there! Now I simply buy bifocal sunglasses.

BTW, we will be leaving for Jacksonville Monday in this Neon and staying there tues and weds night....any suggestions on where to get to the best (cheap) beaches or places a 5 year old would like? Nice and cheap places to eat? I'll check back later on, Saturday maybe.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

turbo addict

if you like Mexican it doesn't get much better than LaNapolera on Atlantic Blvd. Jax beach is free, but parking can be a pain. Fernandina is nice, but kinda far. You could try south on A1A toward St.Augustine. there are some nice beaches down there and parking is cheap or free.

I've got to change where I live. I'm not in Jax anymore. I'm now down in Plant City...just outside of Tampa. I do still know a bit about Jax, though and my parents still live there.

turbo addict

Thanks!

turbo addict

NP. I hope things went well for you today!

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

i used one from an older vauxhall, works pretty well!
    make sure to run hoses/lines that withstand over 100bar of pressure, as this around the max. pressure built up when steered to one end.

turbo addict

So I was right with my estimate of about 1500psi! Nice to know!

Mitsu booster

This may be an older thread, but I stumbled upon it today and figured I'd throw my setup out there. I'm running a Volvo V50 electric power steering pump that I bought used off of ebay for about 100$ shipped. I got the idea from http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...ing-44828.html and if you read through it, you'll learn that you can either run this pump all the time or hook up the CAN signals and have it controlled based on your speed. I've just got mine as an on off switch for now. Here is a picture of my setup now. Its an 87 Shelby Charger with an SRT engine/trans setup in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast