Thread: Injector latency-how to tune for it?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Injector latency-how to tune for it?

It was brought up in another thread, so apparantly, when going larger, you need to adjust it. I've read up on it but how do you know it needs to be adjusted as they say ALL injectors need it adjusting?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: Injector latency-how to tune for it?

It needs to be adjusted when the injector design or manufacturer changes. If you're running +20's or +40's, you're probably OK with the stock latency curve. But, if you switch to Accel 96lb injectors, for example, you need to get and input the latency table. Likewise for Mitsu injectors, or Ford injectors, etc.

There is not a direct relationship to the size of the injector. It's simply a measure of how long it takes to open the injector. IE, once you apply voltage, how long until it actually starts to flow fuel. It's not instantaneous, and when you consider the idle PW for a cal with big injectors is in the single digit milliseconds, the latency can be very significant - especially if it's wrong. It's much less of a concern at higher PW's (like in boost).

The latency is added to the pulsewidth. So, if it's too high, you end up with a PW bigger than you actually need and a rich idle.

EDIT: I added my excel file of injector latencies. I'm sure there are more than this out there...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: Injector latency-how to tune for it?

Interesting... additionally, there is a correction for battery temp? I've always been a bit puzzled by that one, it seems to me that if the voltage is consistent, the actual temp of the battery shouldn't mean anything, as I assume the function of the injectors (reaction time/latency) would be the same for a given design and applied voltage... But I suppose if you had an alternator that was not keeping up or something, it might mess with the actual latency... Please set me straight if I'm off base here...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Interesting... additionally, there is a correction for battery temp? I've always been a bit puzzled by that one, it seems to me that if the voltage is consistent, the actual temp of the battery shouldn't mean anything, as I assume the function of the injectors (reaction time/latency) would be the same for a given design and applied voltage... But I suppose if you had an alternator that was not keeping up or something, it might mess with the actual latency... Please set me straight if I'm off base here...

Mike
    The battery temp is only used to set the target battery volts. It has no effect on fuelling, directly...
    Last edited by ShelGame; 03-20-2012 at 02:53 AM.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki