Thread: Options for Diff. and Limited Slip

turbo addict

Options for Diff. and Limited Slip

I don't know a heck of a lot, and might be interested. I see a lot of people trying OBXs and liking them ONCE they get the splines all the way in. Haven't heard much about Quaife's other than they're the best of the best, but not sure why.

Aside from that, can the stop diff be upgraded easily, and what other options are out there. A few people are running PGs and love them.

I don't know a heck of a lot about this, so even basic information on how Differentials work would help me out. Thanks.

JB

Hybrid booster

Re: Options for Diff. and Limited Slip

the phantom grip is an insert that doesn't solve the durability problems of the stock diff. better to spend an extra hundred and pick up an obx, or really lay out the cash and buy a quaife if you are looking to make serious power and/or race your car!!!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

To add to what he said, the "insert" style isn't going to last you as long as the Quaife will. Save up your money, or if you already have it, spring for the Quaife.

While you're waiting, balance the front end of your car, make sure both front tires are worn eavenly, and are at equal pressure.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

turbo addict

What exactly makes the Quaife more desireable than the OBX?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Quality.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

boostaholic

Im going to upgrade the diff pin and retainers and put the spring from a ford trac lock in mine,should work like a insert but only 14 bucks for the spring.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Mario
    Quality.
    + Warranty.

turbo addict

I've heard there's a quaife that's made to be 100% compatible with the 568, while the OBX might need some persuading at the axles. Anyone have info?

turbo addict

http://www.quaifeamerica.com/

look at atb differentials (auto torque baising)
    and application list at the bottom. seems to have a direct fit a-568.

turbo addict

Their warranty does seem pretty darn good. Has anyone broken one yet?

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

The 568 quaife needs some massaging of the case and also requires one of the axles to be shortened.

Cliff Ramsdell all of this info on his site:

http://hometown.aol.com/mopartek/home.html

Also take note that you can build a 568 w/ a 523 ring and main and Neon quaife or OBX if desired. This also gives you the option to run a 3.50, 3.77, or 3.85 final drive with the 568 gears.

From what I understand you need both the ring and main even if you use a 3.85FD because the gear pitch is different on the 523 than on the 568.

We all learn a ton about our trannys from Cliff!

-Rich

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant
    We all learn a ton about our trannys from Cliff!
    That just sounds wrong

I'd like to build a hybrid, maybe with the 3.77 final gears as I'm not putting down near enough power for a 3.5 (although that would make for some nice highway mileage).

How is the neon Quaife different, and does the "massaging" affect the warranty?

Oops my wording wasn't clear....

The quaife is not modified it is the 568 case and the axles that need to be modified to make the quaife fit... (see Cliff's site)

I am building a hybrid w/ 3.77 gears and an OBX. In an lbody the tire diameter is so much smaller than the other cars that it only makes sense. That is another reason people probably like the 3.50 better in an lbody as opposed to ther cars.

-Rich

turbo addict

That's true. Right now with the 205/55/16s I'm already running slightly larger tires than most TDs. Which gearset is used for the 3.77FD?

Jason,

The 3.77 final drive is available in the 92+ 523. You can use whatever gearset you like but anything other than the 568 gears would be a lower gear ratio than what you have.

If you don't have a 568 then the best option IMO is to run a set of 92+ gears (they come with the 3.77 FD) on a 3.50FD. It comes out about half way between the 3.77 w/568 gears and the 3.50 with 568 gears.

I will even have a spare set of these from my hybrid build IM me if you are interested in them to go with a 91- 523.

Basically to keep things in range if a transmission had a lower gear final drive then the gears were higher. That is why the 568 gears are the highest gears, then the 92+ 523 gears, then the 91- 523 gears.

The 92+ 523 gears are more evenly spaced from 3-5 where the 91- gears had an overdrive that was a bit farther away from 4th gear.

I doubt you really want higher gearing considering your current tire size and quarter mile time though. I wouldn't if I didn't have an lbody....

Check out: http://www.squirrelpf.com/gearingcalc/index.php

and

http://locost7.info/gearcalc.php

These will show you what you are really dealing with.

-Rich (yes I always over analyze things)

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by WVRampage
    Im going to upgrade the diff pin and retainers and put the spring from a ford trac lock in mine,should work like a insert but only 14 bucks for the spring.
    That's the set up I use. I have 3 to 4 years, many miles, and who knows how many passes on it. Will still leave 2 long black strips on the pavement when I do a burnout!!! Going to freshen things up this winter though.

Just to clarify, there are two Quaifes:

1) The A555/A568 Quaife that replaces the 4-pinion diff carrier and needs the case/axle mods mentioned.

2) The Neon Quaife that is a drop-in replacement for the 2-pinion diff carrier found in the A520/A523/A543.

The OBX that everyone is talking about is a cheap knock-off of the Neon Quaife, not the older A555/A568 Quaife. Thus the OBX is a drop-in except for the things that you need to do to the OBX itself due to poor quality control. It's about 1/3 of the price of the Neon Quaife. Time will tell how they fair in terms of durability.

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whorse
    I've heard there's a quaife that's made to be 100% compatible with the 568, while the OBX might need some persuading at the axles. Anyone have info?
    If you can't mess around a bit to get an axle in you will not be able to install a diff of any kind. That is much easier then shimming it up. I heard you have to take a 1/2 inch off the axles with the quaife. OBX also has a lifetime warranty.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Just get an OBX. My axles slid in without modifieing anything. Plus, if Simon cant bust one, you NEVER will!
    later Dick Westerhof

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boost geek
    Just get an OBX. My axles slid in without modifieing anything. Plus, if Simon cant bust one, you NEVER will!

Hahhaaa, I think,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info