Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Code 27 and intermittent miss

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Code 27 and intermittent miss

I'm getting intermittent dead cylinders and code 27. I also get code 22. I'll change out the temp sensor (I have several) but what's most likely for the code 27? Injector? Injector harness? SBEC ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Re: Code 27 and intermittent miss

code 27 is injector driver. If it was a 88/89 computer, you could just swap out the power board, but since it's a 90=, it is integrated into the single board pcm. Hopefully it is not your pcm. Double check your injector harness and make sure it's in good shape.
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    Hopefully it is not your pcm.
    You are the master of understatement.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

turbo addict

id seriously check the inj harness, the wires sometimes get twisted inside the rubber insulator at the connector. mine would warm up, give me an intermitent misfire and code 27, sbec car, it really pissed me off. i had to really dig into the inj harness to find it, there was only an 1/8th melted part that would short out...

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

I've tried three different computers and two fuel injector harnesses and I still get a code 27 when I full throttle it. If I cruise around at part throttle it doesn't throw a code and drop out cylinders. Could the injectors themselves be the problem? I'm really stumped on this.

turbo addict

im going to say yea. if you have more injectors its a easy switch. what shape is the ground wire going to the intake? how about the ground from the fuel rail to injector harness?
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    im going to say yea. if you have more injectors its a easy switch. what shape is the ground wire going to the intake? how about the ground from the fuel rail to injector harness?
    The wire from firewall to intake is good (made sure of that) my '91 injector harness doesn't have a ground wire incorporated in it for attachment to the rail, but I made a separate ground for the rail. I have earlier harnesses that do have it .I have another set of +40s I can swap out. I guess the worst case is to patch new wires for k13 and k14 to the injector harness? What's left?
    Last edited by John B; 04-04-2012 at 10:29 AM.

turbo addict

bummer, you could even swap the inj around to see if the missfire follows the inj, but if you have extra inj, id prob go that way

Does anybody know if an injector can cause a code 27?

turbo addict

I think you need to look closely at the harness, maybe hook up a multi meter between the sbec plug and the injectors. check and clean each wire. perhaps shake the harness testing.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Reset the computer and drove around today. It runs fine at part throttle and I ran it up to over 100 MPH on the autobahn with no problem, but the instant I tip it in to full throttle I get the check engine light and two cylinders drop out. Could the TPS have anything to do with it? This is really frustrating.

turbo addict

sure, if its bad. you can test these, i think you only need a multimeter.

Still stumped! Anything much past part throttle and I get check engine light/ code 27 and two cylinders drop out. I can drive around all day without it happening, but as soon as I go over about 14-15 PSI boost it happens. Could the TPS throw a code 27? I've tried three FI harnesses, three SBECs no luck. Can an injector itself do this? On the highway, if I get the check engine light, I can turn off the ignition, start again and the light 9is out and the cylinders are back on line. Any suggestions appreciated. There isn't much left to try is there?
    Last edited by John B; 04-14-2012 at 12:39 PM.

turbo addict

In your calibration, are you close to 100% duty cycle for your inj? I would try another set of inj if u have them.

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    In your calibration, are you close to 100% duty cycle for your inj? I would try another set of inj if u have them.
    Hmmm. Don't know. They're +40s. I have a new set of 72s that would probably be too much, but I have a partial set of +40s that I can swap into #3 and #4 for a try. I should have tried that already so I'll stop stalling. Thanks

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Goign over 100% DC wouldn't cause a code 27. It really can only be an electrical problem somewhere. Since you've tried with several SBEC's, I think you can rule that out.

It could be a bad injector. But, it doesn't make sense why 2 would drop out. The SBEC has individual drivers. So, you should lose only the cylinder with the bad injector. I can't beleive you'd lose 2 injectors at the same time.

Is this with the cal I did for you in '08? That was before I had T-SBEC out; so the cal is based on stock code. It's possible that there was something in the MAP scaling that was missed that somehow causes a cutout above 14psi. I have no idea how that would work, but I guess it's possible. I haven't looked at my 'old' stock based cals in a couple of years.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Goign over 100% DC wouldn't cause a code 27. It really can only be an electrical problem somewhere. Since you've tried with several SBEC's, I think you can rule that out.

It could be a bad injector. But, it doesn't make sense why 2 would drop out. The SBEC has individual drivers. So, you should lose only the cylinder with the bad injector. I can't beleive you'd lose 2 injectors at the same time.

Is this with the cal I did for you in '08? That was before I had T-SBEC out; so the cal is based on stock code. It's possible that there was something in the MAP scaling that was missed that somehow causes a cutout above 14psi. I have no idea how that would work, but I guess it's possible. I haven't looked at my 'old' stock based cals in a couple of years.
    It's the next to last one you did for me, version # 5 I think. It may be only one cylinder going dead actually. Since the code says cylinder 3 & 4 drivers, I guess I assumed both went out. Thanks for the input!

turbo addict

is there any corrosion on the plugs? Changed the transmission in my yorker the other weekend. Didn't even touch the wiring or the engine. Fired it up and it was running on 3 cylinders. WTF. Checked the wiring from the SMEC to the injector harness plug which was fine with a volt meter. Pulled off the VC and out comes the rail (stupid 2 piece intake) The injector plug that wasn't firing had a small amount of corrosion on it. Enough to keep it from firing that injector. Something to check for.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    is there any corrosion on the plugs?
    I've tried three different harnesses, 3 different SBECs; same result. It has to be either an injector or the main harness between SBEC and the injector harness. There's nothing left, is there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast