Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seriously pissed about OBX

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Seriously pissed about OBX

I have a rebuilt A568 (w/3.50:1 FD) and OBX LSD that I just installed in my Spirit R/T. When I recieved the OBX from eBay, I checked to see if the axles fit inside and there were no problems; the axles slid right into the splines no problem.

Now I have the trans installed and I'm trying to get the axles in but they WON'T fit! The splines start to go in but they will not slide all the way in and it has about 1" to go before it's fully engaged. I've tried two different intermediate shafts with the same results.

I am seriously pissed off and feel like I wasted $450 on this POS! What the hell do I do now? The only thing I can think of is the rebuilder installed a different OBX than the one I sent and this OBX isn't machined as well as the one I had.

turbo addict

Re: Seriously pissed about OBX

Sell the OBX on ebay.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

I'd try contacting the manufacturer. Then try Cliff.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Typical story... I think it is an alignment thing.

I just got the OBX in my Shadow and it was the same, axles fit ok when it was on the bench, tight when in the car.

I took some 80 grit to the outer edges of the splines to make sure there were no burr son them, cleaned with brake cleaner and wiped out all the splines well with a paper towel, then put grease on it. I put the intermediate shaft in first with a few taps of the rubber mallet, then I fought with eth DS axle for a while, pushing, wiggling, etc. After soem cursing, sweating, etc, I took a 5 minute break, and then went back to it, and it went right in!

I think that the ID tolerances on the OBX are just a little on the underside and there is a very slight on center alignment discrepancy that is the issue.

Did you take it apart and check the washers and re-torque the bolts?

check out the OBX thread

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

I just tried installing the driver side axle and it went in just fine. The intermediate shaft (passenger side) will not go in all the way. It will go most of the way in and the splines start to engage but then it gets jammed in if I try to push it in any farther.

I can't sell the OBX on eBay because I no longer have my original diff. Does the intermediate shaft axle end need to be trimmed when using the OBX? I've heard this is required with the Quaiffe LSD. Everything was put together by Cliff R.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo
    I just tried installing the driver side axle and it went in just fine. The intermediate shaft (passenger side) will not go in all the way. It will go most of the way in and the splines start to engage but then it gets jammed in if I try to push it in any farther.

I can't sell the OBX on eBay because I no longer have my original diff. Does the intermediate shaft axle end need to be trimmed when using the OBX? I've heard this is required with the Quaiffe LSD. Everything was put together by Cliff R.
    I had the same issue on my OBX. The passenger side axle would barely go in... It was actually due to the tolerances on the hole though not the splines. I had my machinist hone it out about .005 and now it goes in and out just fine on the bench. I haven't got it in the car yet though.

If you get stuck let me know I can consider parting with my diff. Either way I will have a 523 main gear and probably won't ever use the 568 diff.

-Rich

Dont force it. I had the same problem, if it doesnt slide in easy all the way, pull it out and turn the axle one notch, then try again. If that dont work do it again, and again, and again. Eventually you will find a position where it will slide right in. I dont know why, but it did on mine, both on the bench and in the car...
    later Dick Westerhof

I did one light tap in, one light tap out about 10 times and it went in. There is a slight clearance issue. Better this way than too loose.

I will try all of your suggestions. Thanks to all for the quick replies!

So far I have tried using a small triangular file on the very end of the axle spline to remove any burr. That didn't seem to help at all. I did try tapping lightly with a rubber mallet and that didn't help either.

Next I'm going to see about the inner hole and like rbryant suggested. I think it may be a bit too tight there and not actually the splines. I'll also try rotating the axle one notch at a time and see if I can get it in that way.

Well I got it in. I was able to get the intermediate shaft splines together about 1/4" with my hands; pushing, wiggling, and cursing at it. I tapped the axle in the rest of the way. I held the axle splines centered as best I could while my brother used a long extension through the wheel well with a mallet on the U-joint. Didn't have to 'force' it, but wow what a tight fit.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

So how does it drive now??!!
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

It will be a bit before I can drive the car again. Here are some pics of todays progress:

http://www.turbosedan.com/spirit/DSC02745.JPG
    http://www.turbosedan.com/spirit/DSC02744.JPG
    http://www.turbosedan.com/spirit/DSC02746.JPG
    http://www.turbosedan.com/spirit/DSC02747.JPG

I'll have everything finished tomorrow except for the fuel system. I'm installing all new 3/8" aluminum feed/return and -6AN hose and fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGLH
    The problem is with the material they use to build the obx. It's too soft, so out of the box the axles drop in fine (on every single one) but when you press the bearings the ID decreases just a bit and the axles don't fit quite right anymore. We dissasemble every obx to check for broken springs as well as re-tap the bolts holes and retorques the fasteners, so while it's apart we press on the bearings and test fit both sides with a stub shaft. We have to remove some material from every one to get the axles to drop in but some require more than others. It's likely that the side in question didn't have quite enough material removed to allow for easy install of the axle. Glad that you got everything worked out in the end.
    Good info.. please cross post in the OBX thread

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance
    Good info.. please cross post in the OBX thread
    I tried to earlier when I saw your post in it, but it's been moved to the FAQ section and I don't have permission to post in it anymore. Maybe you could just quote me in the thread as your on the staff.

I tried to earlier when I saw your post in it, but it's been moved to the FAQ section and I don't have permission to post in it anymore. Maybe you could just quote me in the thread as your on the staff.
    I tried to copy it but could just move it... here it is for reference in this thread:

The problem is with the material they use to build the obx. It's too soft, so out of the box the axles drop in fine (on every single one) but when you press the bearings the ID decreases just a bit and the axles don't fit quite right anymore. We dissasemble every obx to check for broken springs as well as re-tap the bolts holes and retorques the fasteners, so while it's apart we press on the bearings and test fit both sides with a stub shaft. We have to remove some material from every one to get the axles to drop in but some require more than others. It's likely that the side in question didn't have quite enough material removed to allow for easy install of the axle. Glad that you got everything worked out in the end.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Hybrid booster

I tried to copy it but could just move it... here it is for reference in this thread:
    The quality control on the obx is complete ----. Hopefully this will keep everyone who's doing the install themselves from loosing their minds. Everyone who buys one should take the time to disassemble theirs to clean, check and replace any broken springs.

I have a broken spring in one of the 2 I got. I'm waiting to hear back from the guy I got it from, if I cannot get another spring from him, where can we get more springs?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Hybrid booster

I have a broken spring in one of the 2 I got. I'm waiting to hear back from the guy I got it from, if I cannot get another spring from him, where can we get more springs?
    If your interested, I found a source and we've got some on order right now that will be a drop in replacement. Stock size and load capacity (most places only carry the thickness above and below the size of the one used which increase or decreases the preload by a large amount) and made in America. We need to get them in hand to mic them and check fitment, but barring any issues A full new set is going to be $10 shipped in the lower 48.

We'll most likely be increasing the cost of the obx install by a small amount (to cover the amount of extra work to dissassemble, clean, tap, machine and reassemble) and including the washers as part of that, but it's still up in the air right now.

If you want to try and source them yourself, a google search on belleville spring will get you started. I'll even send you the measurements of the stock spring if you like.
    Last edited by TurboGLH; 08-01-2006 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Added extra info.

Thanks for the info Chris. It's been two years since I last drove the car so I get frustrated with it rather easily!

I'm dreading next time I have to take the axle out though. If I get another LSD I'll be more tempted to go with the Quaife now.

If your interested, I found a source and we've got some on order right now that will be a drop in replacement. Stock size and load capacity (most places only carry the thickness above and below the size of the one used which increase or decreases the preload by a large amount) and made in America. We need to get them in hand to mic them and check fitment, but barring any issues A full new set is going to be $10 shipped in the lower 48.
    Let me know when you get them and mic them... not sure if i'll get resolution from the ebay guy I got mine from by then.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast