Thread: Oil dipstick lenth??

Garrett booster

Oil dipstick lenth??

Of course like a dumbass I broke off the dipstick tube trying to take it out before I sent it to machining. Didn't think much of it since I had just bought a new one for my Integra so I figured I'd get a new one for the Shadow. Of course, they're no longer made. So I just need to know the length of the tube from the block to the end so I know where to cut this one so the dipstick reads right. Thanks in advance!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: Oil dipstick lenth??

There are differences in the dipstick tube length depending on if your car is common block or not, 2.2 vs 2.5 etc... What year and engine do you have and is it stock in regards to block and oil pan?

Garrett booster

2.2 Common block stock oil pan. Sorry I forgot to mention, I'm a little aggrivated.

Hrm I could have swore I recently bought some of those dipsticks and tubes for my TIII projects very recently. The TIII dipstick is NS1 (no longer available), so I bought the regular 2.2L commonblock dipstick tube and stick combo since I am running the non-balance shaft oil pan.

You might look into tube #4387575 and stick #4536071. You should check the part numbers with the dealership parts counter to be sure. Also try plugging those numbers into wholesalemopar.com part catalog. Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Also, I can measure the aforementioned stick and tube if you like. Let me know and I will post it.

turbo addict

Jeremy, wouldn't the tube length be the same on a 2.2/2.5 commonblock, and they just changed the length of the stick?

Hi Jay I'll have to look into that. I think the Mopar FSM I have states that the 2.5L dipstick is should be a grey plastic handle and the 2.2L is black. Hard to bank on that though considering the aftermarket involvement.

It seems logical that they would use the same length *tube* for 2.2L and 2.5L though, both being SOHC of course. The stick between 2.2L and 2.5L would be different because of the oil pan and if it came with balance shafts or not. The TIII was different and had a longer tube and stick so that the tube clamp could reach up high enough to bolt onto the intake bolt.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

The tube is the same, after 87+ for everything iirc (8v only of course). The 2.2 CB dipstick is the grey/white cap under the T-handle. The 2.5 is the black cap under the T-handle.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

If you use a non-common 2.2 block dipstick in a 2.5 common block w/ the balance shaft pan, what happens? Overfilling?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

boostaholic

I ordered a tube from the dealership Friday
    for my commonblock build for
    $25

Garrett booster

I stopped at Zubeks where I get all the dealer only parts and they said they could no longer get it. I'll run these part numbers by them and see unless someone could grab a length for me and I'll just finish this one. Thanks alot