Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrysler Crossfire ?

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Chrysler Crossfire ?

Anyone have any opinions on the Chrysler Crossfire? Different years/options? Reliability? Difficulty of reparis? Cost of repairs? Road handling in Winter?

boostaholic

Re: Chrysler Crossfire ?

I drove an SRT-6... It understeered like CRAZY at an autocross event. It was the only SRT product I was disappointed with that day.

Hybrid booster

my brother owned one, BIG issue with shitty steering feel because its gearbox and not rack and pinion. Even with lowered suspension and 275 wide KDW2's it felt like you were going to die around every corner because you had ZERO road feeling. And as far as reliability and repair goes.... Its a Mercedes, Goodluck.

Garrett booster

^ That. They have terrible resale value for a good reason.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Yup, not much good to say except that the motor is decent. I frankly wouldnt recommend one to anyone.

I think the SRT6 is neato.. but since it doesnt sell for non-srt money that's sort of irrelevant. Honestly the SRT would need to be almost the same price as the non-srt ones are right now to compensate for all the things that are blah about it and still compete with some of the other fun coupes in that genre.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Paging Dr. jones

turbo addict

Paging Dr. jones
    I drove his for a few minutes, I liked it.
    (or at least the one he "had")
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Where is Alan's thread about passing the Ferrari in one?

boostaholic

Evan in our club has/had a Crossfire. He really liked it. I don't think there's anything particularly bad about the car, it's just not quite what people were expecting.

turbo addict

The srt6 had more power than i expected.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

turbo addict

I just worked on one a week ago. It had 16k miles and the radio crapped out along with the led 3rd brake light. The radio cost 1500 and the brake light 350. Needless to say that guy traded that turd in.

Hybrid booster

+1 on the radio crapping out , and those LED brake lights arent worth ----.

They are 99.9% Mercedes, parts werent so bad when they were affiliated with daimler but since the split parts tripled, I just double checked an O2 I priced for a guy last year cause I remember it being pretty expensive, and yea, $390

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Thanks everybody for the comments.

Hybrid booster

I've owned an SRT6 for a couple years now, so I can give you more than just a "I drove one once for a few minutes" opinion.

For all out power/price, you really can't beat it. The cars are capable of high 12's in stock form and with relatively few mods they can run low 12's/high 11's. Handling, yes, they can be squirrely. I've never had an understeer problem that's for sure, but I sure have fishtailed out of control several times due to oversteer. So you definitely have to be a little careful gassing it out of the corners. It makes for an exhilarating drive though...LOL!

There are quite a few gremlins with the cars - electrical problems (radio as mentioned, connections to ecm are another), radiator fans, intercooler pump, rear end spider gears, leaky transmission sensors, and convertible top window separation seem to be the most common. In my opinion all cars have their quirks though and if you know about them and expect them to happen, you'll be prepared for them and not be pissed off/depressed when they occur. I did my research and knew what I was getting into when I bought mine with low mileage, so I expected to be wrenching on it.

I replaced my Infiniti G35 with the SRT6 and I can't say how much more happy I am with the SRT6. It's way more fun to drive and waaaaaay faster. Also, I get compliments from people all the time when I'm driving the SRT6. You don't see many of them around and they are kind of cool looking so they attract attention.

For me, the car reminds me of the Shelby Dodges. It got a bad name due to a few poor quality issues just like our cars were known for popping headgaskets and not running right due to electrical gremlins. Also, just as Shelby folks don't want to recognize our cars as Shelby's, neither Chrysler or Mercedes want to recognize this as one of their own! I guess I'm a sucker for the red headed step child....LOL!

Jon

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Thanks for the mini review. If I could manage to sell off a few older turbo Mopars of mine I would love to get an SRT-6 someday. I was looking at Needswings.com and they have some pretty cool upgrades for the car. I'm the kind of person that wouldn't let anybody else do maintenance/repairs/upgrades to one of my cars so I'm not too worried about things going horribly wrong or huge repair bills. Those cars looks like a lot of fun to drive.

turbo addict

If you could get a manual with the srt6 it wouldn't be that bad.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Dont let all those Sprinter box van guys get you down.. it's actually a pretty good trans! lawl

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Does it have a nag in it? I've never really looked under one. The nag is damn near bulletproof. I have only seen 2 nags fail. One was due to water contamination. The other was because a guy had the biggest sprinter available so overloaded it was sitting on the bumpstops. He killed the torque converter. Other than the trans plug adapters leaking, and the occasional speed sensor, those things keep going. The funniest thing to me though, is the nag in a chrysler and a nag in a sprinter are essentially the same. Sprinters need special fluid that costs a ridiculous amount, 20 bucks a quart or something like that. But chrysler nags use atf4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast