Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: turning a 2.4L sideways

turbo addict

Re: turning a 2.4L sideways

The liberty/wrangler bellhousing will work on the R154 but the input shaft lengths are different.

Hybrid booster

R154s are exspensive though...lol

Theres a guy on another forum I'm on that has an AX15 bolted to a 360 v8 and holding together...he has one stock trans in a Dakota that never gets traction (probably why its still together) and a built one going in a conquest. He said parts are cheap, just buy them for a jeep trans...if you can rock crawl with one, a 1900lb car isn't going to break it...lol

And I've seen that link before...kinda so much info its overwhelming...lol I do remember reading that the Liberty bellhousing was a little long or something and you had to use the liberty flywheel with it??? And depending on what trans you use you had to have the bellhousing milled down?

Idk...but...hmmmmmm

What would that one bolt missing do on the bellhousing? Any way to make that work? Or would that reduce the structural integrity too much?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Love 510's! That's one of my 3 cars that I'm always looking for on CL along with Volvo 142's and VW Type III SB's. Definatley make a thread when you dive into this projects

Garrett booster

Ya I love the 510's as well. Later in life I want ot get into one of these.
    Good luck

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by strang3majik View Post
    Fastest that car ever went was behind that Dakota
    LOL. you've seen me drive? The Datsun? Yes, so far, LOL.. the Nissan? well, although its had a few rides behind the Dak, it has gone much faster on its own

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Garrett booster

so are you gonna do it? if thats your kick go for it !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hybrid booster

Actually...its a potential project for down the road for another 510, or in the Conquest I have now. Many things were discovered about that car that made me get rid of it.

First off, the grille mounting holes were off by several inches and nothing really lined up right after I put it together, and the drivers door always needed slammed with no door sag. But, car was apart when I bought it, so, didn't think anything of it :/ I think it was in an accident. I'll get another someday, though...it was a cool car.

Here's a pic...also, the l20b motor that came with it that was "a good running engine" turned out to be a POS that needed a rebuild. :/

Anyway...

Garrett booster

thats to bad.... would have been a cool build

Hybrid booster

very true...someday I'll own another. Very cool little car, I should've did a little more shopping though :/

Hybrid booster

Figured I'd bump this......because a srt4 motor is going in my e30.

That is all Going to start collecting parts here in the near future.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

I missed this thread.....trying to figure out how....but anyway, that would have been a fun ride. Hell, the 2.4 from a Jeep wrangler would have made it an easy build too.

Which model 3 series do you have?
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    I missed this thread.....trying to figure out how....but anyway, that would have been a fun ride. Hell, the 2.4 from a Jeep wrangler would have made it an easy build too.

Which model 3 series do you have?
    325e. Slow hunk of heavy aircraft engine redlining at 4500rpm crap...lol It'll yank a house down, but it isn't getting anywhere quickly. Plus its got in excess of 250k miles.

Body is perfect and all the suspension components and brakes are brand new, just needs paint and a powerful engine.

And BMW is far too expensive to modify, so, I'll go Mopar and be ahead in power anyway, with less weight...haha. I plan to collect all the parts while I continue to drive it, that way I'll have minimal down time, just actual making of the bracketry and running the electronics (probably megasquirt) left when I finally do it...and gathering the parts I didn't think about.......which always happens :/

I'm going to try and get my GLH running first though...doesn't need much, need to buy my remaining parts and install everything and that'll be done...then this project

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

So you have the 2.7 engine. I agree that the 2.4 is the better way to go....and much cheaper. I like it.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    So you have the 2.7 engine. I agree that the 2.4 is the better way to go....and much cheaper. I like it.
    Yup yup. I got completely whooped by an 80s ragged out V6 camaro yesterday. Now granted it wasn't a real race, he just passed me on the highway and I went full throttle and couldn't catch up to him :/ I honestly think the 2.2 automatic Horizon I owned for about a week had more grunt. Something might just be wrong with this one, but its slow, and I don't care to fix it...hahaha.

So 2.4!

Anyone know where I could find a 2.4L liberty bellhousing? They seem impossible to locate and I've yet to ever see a 2.4 Liberty.

turbo addict

What about a 2.5 dakota bellhousing? The only issue would be the one bolt just like a 2.4/555 combo has.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

id go 2.5 bell and the r154. its not that expensive. i got one for 160$ a few years back.

sold all my conversion stuff to METZ. had everything but a clutch but thats easy.

hit him up and see if he used it.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Hybrid booster

The Dakota 2.5 bell will work fine just the one bolt? Starter engagement and all would work correctly? What would I use for flywheel, clutch/pp, etc?

I like that idea though, sounds cheap and easy to get...haha.

And you're saying Metz had the trans and bellhousing?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

metz had the trans, bellhousing, slave cyl, clutch fork, crankshaft pilot bearing adapter, driveshaft yoke, ujoint and a small section of driveshaft.

you still need to mod the bellhousing to catch that offset bolt as it wont be strong enough without it.

yes starter works but i think you may need to use the denso starter to clear the 2.4L bits.

pressure plate and flywheel is stock TD stuff. clutch disc needs to be a toyota tacoma 4 banger disc.

larryb knows all those details of the clutch stuff. i forget the year of the truck clutch disc but clutchnet carries it.

brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

I've got the bellhousing, fork, and bearing housing if you can't find it. I'll probably never use it. I also have a '02 caravan 2.4 intake. It will bolt on and have the TB facing to the front instead of the rear like other 2.4 intakes.

Hybrid booster

I will message Metz, and if no luck, moparman, you will be hearing from me...haha. That intake sounds like it'd be the one to use as well. But thanks guys! I like the idea of using the 2.5 bell, I just wonder about the input shaft length with it...meaning I wonder if that bell is shorter then the liberty one?

Luckily the BMW has the intake/exhaust on the same sides as the 2.4, so that will be good for routing and such.

Also...its looking like this is happening sooner and sooner as this 2.7 is really getting on my nerves :/ Very fun car to drive, handles excellent, stops on a dime, I personally love the looks, but man does its powerplant suck

Soon

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast