Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: turning a 2.4L sideways

turbo addict

Re: turning a 2.4L sideways

Quote Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
    03-04. but i think it's the t5 that uses it also. as far as transmissions you have r154 from the supra in the price range of $1500.00. and some other weaker ones. the ma5 reports to be shronger than the r154, has a better gear ratio and can be had for around $300.00 i got mine for $275.00 the flywheel for $75.00. and the bellhousing for $80.00. you can hack out the side of the 2.5 bellhousing, or mill some material off the liberty bells face to get the proper depth.
    Are you milling off of the end that bolts to the transmission or the engine side? How much did you have to mill off? Thanks.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Is the MA5 a 5 or 6 speed?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    Are you milling off of the end that bolts to the transmission or the engine side? How much did you have to mill off? Thanks.
    The engine side more than likely
    But I could take an even amount by doing both ends and the amount is anywhere from. 25-.50 of an inch. I'll have. To measure the depth to be sure

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Is the MA5 a 5 or 6 speed?
    5-speed, but it is available in a bunch of different platforms with different gear ratios.

Garrett booster

The other option instead of milling the bellhousing. Would be to put a pilot bearing into the flywheel instead of the crank end

turbo addict

The other option instead of milling the bellhousing. Would be to put a pilot bearing into the flywheel instead of the crank end
    Yep or a spud shaft. Maybe Advance Adapters already has one?

Hybrid booster

Wanting to bump this since I have acquired another e30 BMW.

This one is a for sure keeper needing serious help in the power plant department, and, right now I have an srt4 engine I can't sell sitting in my garage. Might as well use it.

Anyone have an ax15 and bell housing for sale?

But looking at the stock turbo, I can clock the o2 housing to exit towards the rear so I can route the exhaust. I have two extra turbos so shouldn't be an issue. Also have an srt and pt turbo intake manifold, and both intercoolers. Injectors, fuel rails...got a ton of parts. And a pt turbo auto starter, and an srt starter. And an srt modular clutch (can this be used with an ax15? But anyway, should have a good but of the pieces I'll need.

So I need the trans, and all the clutch/flywheel, starter bits that I don't have...along with mega squirt.

So if anyone has any of this stuff, let me know! Going to take a little time gathering, but it's going to happen. I can hear the BMW purists already.

Also I like the idea of the ax15 for now. If it proves an issue I'll upgrade to an r154 or ma5 later, but stock srt hp in a light car shouldn't pose an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit my above post. Going hunting for an ma5. Didn't realize they were that common, pretty sure there's a few colorados at the local junkyard.

Hmm. Also just read this post that summed it all up. Makes things easier. Lol

Don't hate for me going to the dark side.

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f68/370573-ma5-chevrolet-transmission-confirmed-work-2-a.html

Hybrid booster

That, or pick up an np535, or nv3500? From the stick dodge trucks. They used the same trans fromt he 2.5 to the 318, just different bellhoushings.

Hybrid booster

I've heard nothing good about those transmissions though. Supposedly unless you don't plan on shifting it and only mashing it while already in gear then they're fine but nothing more even behid a stock 318. Lol

Hybrid booster

Ive heard mixed reviews. Some say they work well, some dont. Then again, it really depends on if they drive it right. Some like to drop the clutch in big trucks, expecting burnies. Ive found most of the people who say stuff is junk, who i dont know/trust, usually arent doing it right. But then again, sometimes junk is junk. But for something thats cheap, plentiful, and rightfully bolt-on with near zero mods, is a good starting point.

Hybrid booster

I've only ever seen one in the junkyard, so I don't know how plentiful they are...lol

Also, I thought the bellhousings were part of the case on those?

Hybrid booster

Nope, i have an np535. Bolts to it like a wc bg t-5. Might actually be the piece to score, would be a great base since it is so close to the 2.4 bolt pattern. I could see the center ring being milled, or the input shaft snout being custom, and nearly staright bolting it to a t-56 or something along those lines. Better than a full custom bellhousing id suppose.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Brian, do you remember what year r154 was the best years to get?
    sorry wayne, just saw this now. 87-92.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Garrett booster

looking forward to your progress. time to get motivated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2599.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	506.5 KB 
ID:	47258  

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

So, what are we seeing there for a trans, clutch, flywheel and bellhousing setup?
    Thanks! Oh, do you have an estimated weight?
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

looking forward to your progress. time to get motivated
    Yes, more info on what exactly we're seeing there please! Its a gorgeous site...lol

Garrett booster

Thats a jeep liberty bell housing. 2.4 flywheel, and a ma5 trans from a pontiac solstice. The trans is also used in in the colorado and canyon pickup trucks. The clutch will be from an s10.the trans is a 5 speed and can handle 500 horse power.stronger than the supra r154 and cheaper in price

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Thanks. :thumbup:
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

and impossible to find in my area

turbo addict

What exactly is the basis for saying this ma5 is stronger then an r154? I know r154's will have thrust washer problems at high power levels but that is supposed to be fixable. By high power I mean..a lot more then 500whp. Not sure how well either of these transmissions shift at high rpms. I don't think I would want to go with an r154 at those prices, especially if you might have a failure.

I wish there were more turbo manifold options for 2.4 heads that were RWD friendly and not weird or bad designs (the ebay stuff).
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast