Thread: Is this normal?

Garrett booster

Is this normal?

I thought I finally got all qwerks worked out of the car and she is running great but noticed something and want to see if it is normal or not

first of all cars boost is controlled with a grainger and I have been driving the car around hitting 15 psi boost all is well and plenty of power likes to spin the tires alot....But today when i was driving in the rain sometimes it was only boosting to 13 psi and no higher at wot and just feeling a little down on power....but at wot another time then would would go to 15 psi as it had before and I would do another wot pass and back to only 13 psi and no higher. I would think if its set at 15 psi and reaches that multiple times it should boost to 15 psi everytime

I am just trying to see if this is normal behavior or I should be concerned about something just being over cautious is all probably and I keep trying to tell my self its nothing but I just want to make suire

Garrett booster

Re: Is this normal?

just took it for a spin and its only boosting to 13 psi and just does not feel the same as it did when motor swap was done few days ago....

filter does look filthy though and i could not find any vacuum leaks and it looks like grainger valve is turned in all the way but i don't know how to tell

which part do i turn to adjust the boost on grainger valve its the one from fwdperformance i thought it is knurled knob but i cant get it to budge either way the only part that moved was the 90 degree barb on the one end

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

It could be dirt in the MBC, sticky SV or maybe the wastegate can is getting weak. Boost can change a bit with temp.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

thanks turbovan....yeah i am thinking of going with different boost controller than grainger because i know its the knurled knob in all the way is max boost and thats the way it appears right now and i am only getting 13-15 psi

plus I cant get knurled knob to turn either way right now in or out to tell

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I really like the "turbosmart" units, a bit pricey but they work well, especially with Mitsu's.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

ok cool thanks yeah its a garret t2 on there right now....I am debating manual or electric as with electric i like idea of in car control....plus i think i need to upgrade to large can actuator