Thread: Cracked head?

Mitsu booster

Cracked head?

Hi All--
    While doing some work on my 92 IROC R/T today, I noticed a drop of coolant coming out of the head next to the freeze plug between cylinders 2 & 3. It's a small amount that starts when the car is warmed up. As it doesn't seem to be coming from the threads for the plug, but from a spot in the flat machined area around it, presumably I've got a small crack in the head.
    TIII experts, would you say that's the case and, if so, how hard is it to repair? Can anyone recommend a good repair shop/person that I can send it to, or is there something that I can do as a reasonably experienced amateur? If I do need to send it out, about how much would this cost to repair?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: Cracked head?

It happens to nearly all of them, and can be repaired by a competant machine shop. I'd suggest using someone who's familiar with these heads and the repair though. I'd hate to see another one get warped because the machinist didn't take precautions to prevent it.

Where is Morrill, NE?

Mitsu booster

Hi Super-
    Thanks for the advice. Can you recommend anyone for a repair? Morrill is in the panhandle, west of Scottsbluff- if I spit to the west, it lands in Wyoming

Someone else may want to chime in with better info; I don't follow the TIII stuff terribly close. Off the top of my head though, I'd call FWDPerformance and see what Cindy says, or if she can give you contact info for LoneWolf.

Alternately, 86Shelby on this board has the same crack, and he still drives the car. Downside is he has to mop up the mess and change the #3 spark plug very regularly.

If you ever find yourself in the eastern end of the state, let us know. We've got a small club of enthusiasts scattered between Lincoln, Omaha, and Council Bluffs, Iowa.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

What he said or find a decent welder, warping isn't the issue, its porosity etc as over the years, it gets dirty, so the welder has to know what he's doing or he'll ruin it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    What he said or find a decent welder, warping isn't the issue, its porosity etc as over the years, it gets dirty, so the welder has to know what he's doing or he'll ruin it.
    Ray's head warped. He had his LoneWolf ported/coated big cam head repaired by a local shop, and when he re-installed it, it smoked all the cam journals. Now it's a really pretty paperweight.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    Ray's head warped. He had his LoneWolf ported/coated big cam head repaired by a local shop, and when he re-installed it, it smoked all the cam journals. Now it's a really pretty paperweight.
    Wow, shitty welder I guess,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

I'll check around here to see if there's somebody competent with aluminum heads (doubtful) and, if not, I'll check with Jackson-- he has told me there's guy he uses that has done 30 plus heads for him, Cindy, etc. Thanks to all for your advice-- I'll let folks know how it turns out.

Mitsu booster

BTW, thanks for the invite, Super-- I have a sister-in-law in Seward, so I might be able to visit with the R/T one of these decades. Being much closer to Denver, I'm more likely to get involved with the Colorado crowd.

Yep, Mr. Jackson would be the one to talk to. He's a guru on Turbo 3.

J.R.