Thread: 1990 t-bird SC - er - VGT

Hybrid booster

Cool 1990 t-bird SC - er - VGT

Howdy doo!
    Figured I'd post this build here too since I can't seem to cut the loose of you people or mopars!
    I am also a fan of the thunderbird supercoupe, and have decided to fit an he351ve to my 35th.
    started the exhaust manifold:

I will be trying for about 400 at the wheels end of the day, should be about 2x the hp of stock and another 100'lb I think..

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: 1990 t-bird SC - er - VGT

That looks good so far. I'll be following this intently. Isn't there a pretty decent aftermarket for the SCs?

turbo addict
    They like to blow head gaskets a lot. They make some good power though.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    That looks good so far. I'll be following this intently. Isn't there a pretty decent aftermarket for the SCs?
    Thanks!
    Welds will look decent when I finish em off.
    Yes roach head gaskets blow like the wind on these motors, but use an mls and arp's and take care of it--problem solved.
    The lil ford boys like their felpro composite head gaskets
    No there is not much aftermarket for these that isn't ridiculously expensive.
    I mean, well, some are semi-reasonable if you want to get larger maf/injector combos with od pulleys.
    I want more power than that, and I want to tune this thing.
    A turbo is cheaper and makes more power than 99% of the eaton m90 combos out there.
    Twin screw blowers alone are 4k.
    Tuning this particular animal (eec-iv)requires a moates quarterhorse and essentially leased software.
    I hate the idea of leasing and don't personally like the person who writes these programs, so a friend and I are going to use a GM ecu
    and tune it with tunerpro.
    This turbo supports about 600 hp, I would not try for near that with a stock 3.8 though. - 400 is easy for stock..
    Dsm's spool a vgt by 3000rpms, so I figure leaving the nozzle full open ought to still be killer.... We shall see...

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Wow, I was lead to believe that the SCs had a ton more aftermarket support than the TCs back when I had my 88. I guess not. Thanks for the info.

turbo addict
    Yea those super coupes can be bad ---!! I LOVE the turbo coupes from the 80's. I have a 94 t bird with a 4.6. Its actually a decent car. Makes shyt for power but hey it's my daily. Ac and heat work. I like it a lot better than a 97 sentra I had lol. Ive been trying to join the tccoa forum since December. My account hasn't been put through for some reason. If your on that forum can you pm a admin for me and tell them Roachjuice isn't a bot lol.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by roachjuice View Post
    Ive been trying to join the tccoa forum since December. My account hasn't been put through for some reason. If your on that forum can you pm a admin for me and tell them Roachjuice isn't a bot lol.
    Heres what i found:
    http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=138308

I just read a person on SCCOA is making over 800whp with a 4.2/t56/quarterhorse tuning, so there ya go...
    Lot more than I thought, don't know for sure if he moded the bottom with a girdle or just having forged rods/pistons...
    hes got over a grand in rods pistons, everything else cost 2k more...
    I paid $40 for my turbo, guy just wanted to get rid of it. Went thru it its super clean, score!
    Last edited by pauly_no_van; 02-29-2012 at 12:39 AM.

Hybrid booster

Hello,
    I Have not been earning much extra money for a long time, this will change soon!

I have about 80% of all the parts I need, I recently found another short block, one I had was too toasty to try this.
    I am currently re-building a 4r70w transmission and turning Delrin for the bushings in the IRS and front K member parts as well...
    The engine will be run by a GM ecu, and an ostrich.
    The new motor I found is a 94/95 SC bottom, stronger components and higher compression.
    http://www.turbotalk.org/bb/viewtopi...7&p=7112#p7112

Hybrid booster

I enjoy my 94 Super Coupe...I'm huge on my turbo mopars, but a sucker for the Super Coupe and SHO's.

Hybrid booster

I had a '94 teal 5-speed SC for a few years(rare combo). Only mods I did was new tires, Wynn's catless downpipes and a stage 2 clutch. Also had a e-fan on the intercooler. Ran decent, and the adjustable suspension was nice. It left my now ex-wife stranded several times because it would just die out of no where and not start back up. Then a few hours later would start and drive just fine again. Last straw was when it almost caught fire on her in a fastfood drive through. The wiring in the steering column melted and almost caught fire. Sold it to another guy from SCCOA for $1K in non-running condition. I paid $2K for it and had it for three years. Didn't make out too bad on it I guess.

Hybrid booster

The mn12 is a best of all worlds type of chassis, it handles like a civic, but is heavy which you want in a wreck.
    In the past I have had a 5.0 bird, and a 4.6 bird. The 89-92 SC is the Hardest car I have ever worked on, also the first Head Gasket Job I've ever done.
    When they are stock and the HG goes, its a real show just getting the heads off, but with a couple of shortcuts reinstalling, it becomes a breeze to work on. I have had 2 5 speeds, in traffic they would be not a good car, but a blast otherwise. Somebody started making the fiber lined blockers for m5r2 rke again, which is nice. I think the 4r7xx autos are the strongest domestic autos, once they are set up properly.. Its like 2.5 a413's in one case