Thread: WTB :1987 Shelby Lancer engine harness

Mitsu booster

WTB :1987 Shelby Lancer engine harness

Mine still works, but its been hacked up over the years and would like to find a better shape one. I hope to have my motor back in a week, so looking for it pretty soon if you have one.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar
    I have one from an 87 Dayton if that works...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: WTB :1987 Shelby Lancer engine harness

I have one from an '88 Turbo II Lancer Shelby. It is SMEC and would require some modification to work though.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I have one from an '88 Turbo II Lancer Shelby. It is SMEC and would require some modification to work though.
    wouldnt it not be a bolt in?? id be curious as to what may be needed to run this? or is it just simple things like the wiper motor? i know they changed throughout the years...

Bulkhead is different between the '87 and '88 H-bodies. The '87 underhood harness has a male 50-pin connector with a corresponding female 50-pin connector mounted right on the firewall. The '88 underhood harness has female 50-pin connector with a corresponding male 50-pin connector mounted under the dash. On the '88 firewall there is a large rubber plug with the wiring passing through where the '87 used to have the bulkhead connector located.

So basically, there was a sex change of the plugs and they relocated the connector under the dash for '88. Other than that, it's damn near the same although the '88 uses the newer style relays I believe. I bought this '88 LS harness for my '87 SL, but decided to install a '91 GTC underhood harness instead so I would have the SBEC and power distribution center.

Hybrid booster

I have a spare 87 SL harness that came with the car. I'll verify its condition when I get back home.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Bulkhead is different between the '87 and '88 H-bodies. The '87 underhood harness has a male 50-pin connector with a corresponding female 50-pin connector mounted right on the firewall. The '88 underhood harness has female 50-pin connector with a corresponding male 50-pin connector mounted under the dash. On the '88 firewall there is a large rubber plug with the wiring passing through where the '87 used to have the bulkhead connector located.

So basically, there was a sex change of the plugs and they relocated the connector under the dash for '88. Other than that, it's damn near the same although the '88 uses the newer style relays I believe. I bought this '88 LS harness for my '87 SL, but decided to install a '91 GTC underhood harness instead so I would have the SBEC and power distribution center.
    ok cool thanks. so its just like the daytona then. SMEC went bulkhead inside the car and elminated the firewall one......good thing I went with a turbo mini harness rather then finding a H body SMEC harness.....

Yep^

When I put the '91 GTC harness in my SL, it also had the opposite sex plugs as the '87 and the bulkhead under the dash. I just cut the bulkhead connector off the GTC harness, shortened it about a foot, and did a gender change on the connector with the original connector from the '87. Surprisingly the pinout was barely any different so it was fairly straightforward swap.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar
    There were also older style 88 anecdote harnesses that connect like the 87 on a few cars. I have one sitting in the shed that I should sell.

Hybrid booster

I met up with John this weekend and hooked him up with the 87 Shelby Z harness.

Mitsu booster

Thanks Steve for the post. I been busy and forgot I posted over here looking for one. Thanks for all the replies. I'm pm too many forums!