Thread: Piston Crowns

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Piston Crowns

The way I understand it, the dome on the OE SRT-4 style piston helps to ward off detonation, but a conventional piston crown would be better for power.

Assuming the same compression ratio, which would you use and why?

I am looking to build a relatively mild 2.4, and budget restictions would likely te me to SMEC electronics.

Thanks,

Mike
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Piston Crowns

1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Thanks for the link Simon.

I wasn't brave enough to ask a tech question over there. lol

Still interested in input from the T-M community.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Thanks for the link Simon.

I wasn't brave enough to ask a tech question over there. lol

Still interested in input from the T-M community.
    Too funny,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

I think the 'ski-jump' shape is for tumbling the charge in the chamber for mixing purposes; as a result, you get a slower burning charge (and probably a smaller peak cylinder pressure, but a high average cylinder pressure; and it for sure has an emissions effect, too), which then requires more total timing. I think that's why the SRT4 has so much ignition timing compared to a dish-piston design.

I would think the the ski-slope design would also reduce port flow when the piston is near TDC. Granted, that's low valve opening, but still. I'm not sure how (or even if) that suspicion could be confirmed...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I am looking to build a relatively mild 2.4,
    For a mild 2.4L on a budget, hard to beat the stock SRT internals if you are using the later block/head anyways...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post

I would think the the ski-slope design would also reduce port flow when the piston is near TDC. Granted, that's low valve opening, but still. I'm not sure how (or even if) that suspicion could be confirmed...
    That was brought up in another thread, I don't think that's a valid claim as bikes use pistons that match the chamber and they make stupid HP per CC.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    For a mild 2.4L on a budget, hard to beat the stock SRT internals if you are using the later block/head anyways...
    I'll be using an early motor. It's already been bored .020. Just needs a finish hone to match whatever pistons I end up getting. While the combination will be mild, I definitely want the peace of mind of having forged pistons. I'll probably use Eagle rods as they are good enough for my goals.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Generally speaking, if you can reduce piston/chamber surface area, that's usually a good thing. Less surface area to suck up heat, so more heat/pressure to drive the piston. For that reason, domes and ski jumps and the like are almost never optimal.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    That was brought up in another thread, I don't think that's a valid claim as bikes use pistons that match the chamber and they make stupid HP per CC.
    Yeah, but bikes have stupid high compression, too - like 13:1. The SRT is 8:1. Bikes also don't have to worry about HC emissions so much. Chrysler raised the crown for a different reaon (I beleive for tumble induction), and then dropped the piston down in the hole to get the CR down. Usually, anything done to induce tumble is not good for flow.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

I'll be using an early motor. It's already been bored .020. Just needs a finish hone to match whatever pistons I end up getting. While the combination will be mild, I definitely want the peace of mind of having forged pistons. I'll probably use Eagle rods as they are good enough for my goals.
    I have had good luck with the JE's in my earlier motors... I have a spare set in the old 2.4L that was in it, but IIR they are are .040's. Heer is a pic of one of the originals before living thru 2 oil pump faliures

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

I have had good luck with the JE's in my earlier motors... I have a spare set in the old 2.4L that was in it, but IIR they are are .040's. Heer is a pic of one of the originals before living thru 2 oil pump faliures
    Yeah, I am definitely going with JE's. I have had good luck with them in the 2.2 8v. But I have the option of the dished or the domed. If money were no object, the dished would be the easy choice. I have the option to use a set of un-used take-out domed JE's or ordering a new set of dished pistons. I guess the dished will be the ones to go with.

Thanks all for your input.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Aren't people making good power with the stock style? If so, I would use them if you have them.

Also, if your not going for all out power, then I think the choice would be to use them, save yourself $500+.

Anyone tried JE's new FSR piston?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JE-FSR-Forge...item4ab47e05c2

I've used JE and Wiseco and liked them both. Wiseco comes with light tension rings and are not file fit but worked great for me. if you are going to really pond on them I would go with the upgread ristpins. for the money Eagle H beam rods are awesome, don't know why some people down grade them. What car is this motor going into and is it going to be at SDAC this year.

The motor will be going in my Horizon. The goal is to have it be a consistent mid 10 second combination, ideally without the help of nitrous, but it will be on the table if needed. Budget constraints require that I use as many parts that I already have as possible, but if spending a little bit of extra money in the shortblock will help the rest of my combination work, then I'm willing to do it.

Steve M. ported head. Gonna stick with stock 2.0 cams and some good valvesprings. I won't be revving it very high so I should be ok there.
    S50/S3
    Cast iron exhaust manifold. I have a Mexican manifold, but I may go with a Treadstone if it fits better in an Lbody.
    I have a big-plenum manifold that my brother constructed for is 1st gen Neon, but I don't think it will fit an Lbody.
    There will need to be some money spent on a good intercooler and a better engine cooling system.
    Fuel system will need a complete re-engineering.
    Also want spend money on a good trans and converter.

I've also toyed with the idea of having it run in E85. An E85 pump just popped up on the direct route between my house and the track.

I'll probably be at SDAC, but the car will not.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

GLMFSRT

Still havn't stumbled across that mount...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

GLMFSRT

Still havn't stumbled across that mount...
    It would be great if you did!
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

It would be great if you did!
    Gremlins I tell ya... I looked in every other place I thought I'd put it the last time we talked. Believe it or not, I got too much stuff! LOL! I'll check again...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President