Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: T3 rampage

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 30 PSI SHADOW's Avatar

Re: T3 rampage

this was my other problem that i had to deal with. since the trans was out, i had cliff go thru it to make sure it was fine and fresh.it worked fine, but sound mind. well good thing i did, as he found my main bearing was working its way off the main shaft and through the case! 5 more miles and boom! no symtoms i could notice. is this a common thing from hard launches?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	get-attachment.aspx.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	323.4 KB 
ID:	37783Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	372.2 KB 
ID:	37784Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	294.0 KB 
ID:	37785Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	461.5 KB 
ID:	37786

cliff took a big socket and tapped lightly inside the case and it went through to the bellhousing! you can see it bulging in the second photo!

well, new case,pads,sycros,seals its all new. wonder if theres a way to keep this from happening again..
    Bill Baker
    NESDAC Pres.
    Rutland,Vermont
    90 Shadow VNT comp 332WHP/390WTQ
    12.26@116MPH-27psi (SOLD)
    89 CSX #269 59k
    83 Rampage T3 11.78@118MPH- 22psi

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

With the Precision turbos, the model numbers designate the compressor and turbine wheels.

The 5857 has a 58mm compressor inducer, and a 57mm turbine exducer.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 30 PSI SHADOW View Post
    interesting.. whats the difference between the sc60 and the sc58? is this like carrolls?

Precision SC5857SP Billet Turbo NEW SC60 58mm T3 T4 PTE | eBay
    Wow, didn't realize those turbo's were that reasonable.

this was my other problem that i had to deal with. since the trans was out, i had cliff go thru it to make sure it was fine and fresh.it worked fine, but sound mind. well good thing i did, as he found my main bearing was working its way off the main shaft and through the case! 5 more miles and boom! no symtoms i could notice. is this a common thing from hard launches?

cliff took a big socket and tapped lightly inside the case and it went through to the bellhousing! you can see it bulging in the second photo!

well, new case,pads,sycros,seals its all new. wonder if theres a way to keep this from happening again..
    Its a problem, check out JT's log, he's had issues with that bearing and shift pads.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Its just a design limitation on that front bearing. Gotta remember these transmissions were designed 30 years ago for ~100hp~ engines. I've thought of a few ideas but there really just bandaids for a bad design.

I hope the shaft and speed gears were not F'ed from not having the oil feeder there to feed the oil into the pinion shaft. That one was gone for a long time.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Wow, didn't realize those turbo's were that reasonable.
    Yup. The BB turbos cost about 50% more tho.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Ugh. Others have been seeing this quite a bit...I really need to pull my trans apart and get a look at it. It's been together for close to 3 years now and has been pounded on. I'm concerned I'm going to find the same thing.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

A 125-128mph trap would make me happier than hell!
    Go stage 3 and add a little boost at the track, best of both worlds and you can see what difference the stage 3 makes. Too bad you don't have a pressure tap, that would be the real deal on what difference the stage 3 would make!

I trapped 132mph in the Charger with the 57 trim stage 3 (very close to your 50 trim as it was a rare extended tip wheel) but on an 8v and 38psi boost.

I'm not sure why your concerned with higher boost? If the 50 trim is only 22 psi you've got a lot of room to move. Bigger turbo/ less boost = more lag!

So IF your dead set on trapping 125+mph on less than 20psi you will need a turbo that will make street driving lame, car will become drag only.

I would much rather run 20 psi pump gas tune and 350WHP on the street, then dump in the race fuel and turn up the boost at the track and have BOTH a great street driver AND a great track car!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

cliff sebring 2.5 TIII dyno #s. STOCK cal. 50 trim turbo, 3" exhaust added some race gas to get rid of knock.....290whp and 340tq on 12 psi boost.

bumped up boost to 17psi (22psi spikes) the car was just shy of 400 whp and had 430tq..........sorry cant tell you what dyno it was ran on. id have too check the cached page since i cant get on TD...

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    cliff sebring 2.5 TIII dyno #s. STOCK cal. 50 trim turbo, 3" exhaust added some race gas to get rid of knock.....290whp and 340tq on 12 psi boost.

bumped up boost to 17psi (22psi spikes) the car was just shy of 400 whp and had 430tq..........sorry cant tell you what dyno it was ran on. id have too check the cached page since i cant get on TD...
    Cliff Ramsdell,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Cliff Ramsdell,
    shiiiiiiiiat. yeah my bad. sebring is the dude who had the 3.0L factory turbo prototypes....always mix those 2 dudes up

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by juggy View Post
    shiiiiiiiiat. Yeah my bad. Sebring is the dude who had the 3.0l factory turbo prototypes....always mix those 2 dudes up
    ^^^ lol

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 30 PSI SHADOW's Avatar

that was 372hp . i remember. anyway, i guess i could just stay with my stage 2 as others have suggested. be nice to see how much a difference will be with the ported head. Then again i could just say FI and try the stage 3 seth has one on his t3 omni glhs
    Bill Baker
    NESDAC Pres.
    Rutland,Vermont
    90 Shadow VNT comp 332WHP/390WTQ
    12.26@116MPH-27psi (SOLD)
    89 CSX #269 59k
    83 Rampage T3 11.78@118MPH- 22psi

turbo addict

Great thread guys! Helping me a ton since im looking for a turbo also. I was going pt6262 but now im not so sure
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

Hybrid booster

subscribed

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86seeS View Post
    Great thread guys! Helping me a ton since im looking for a turbo also. I was going pt6262 but now im not so sure
    6262 is a 700+WHP capable turbo, so I guess it would depend on what your goals are?

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

http://www.billetturbochargers.com/_reg_med_size_linkpage.ews

t
    hese guys seem to sell some BIG power turbos that will spool rather quickly.

advancements in wheel technology has created turbines that are actually smaller then its predecessor but able to flow more air.
    with a better flowing turbine wheel, you can now upgrade the compressor side of things.
    everything works hand in hand.

it all just comes down to your HP goal, and how much cash you have.

this one I am really liking the looks of
    http://www.billetturbochargers.com/Billet_S58-GTV.ews

o
    r if u want that lil extra spool this one
    http://www.billetturbochargers.com/Billet_S58-GT3.ews

b
    oth of those turbos use the extended tip compressor wheels

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Ugh. Others have been seeing this quite a bit...I really need to pull my trans apart and get a look at it. It's been together for close to 3 years now and has been pounded on. I'm concerned I'm going to find the same thing.
    This is one of the problems on my trans that ate a steady diet of axles a few years back. You do not need to break down the trans to see that it is wearing. The heat signature bleeds through and bubbles out the case inside the bell housing.

turbo addict

a local made 330/350 in his old r/t. the only mods done to the car was a 3" exhaust, FMIC, t3/t4 50 trim with stage 3 exhaust wheel (.60/.63) and a custom cal

btw, that was only on 16 psi boost

so if u consider the amount of boost to HP, it spooled rather quickly!

if you got the cash, i would seriously check out the GTX series turbos......the GTX3076R can whip out 650whp, with the addition of a billet comp wheel, using the original gt3076r turbine. that means this turbo can make as much HP as a GT35R and spool like a GT30R
    full weight daytona r/t 107-108mph.....it was a mid-high 13 second car on street meats.
    yes the journal bearing ones seem to run about 2/3 the price of a ball bearing.
    in an all out drag setup, there is no real benefit to the ball bearing, performance wise. but transient response is definitely noticeably better when it comes to road racing
    330 hp is a little optimistic for a street tire trap of 108. I ran 12.7x's on slicks on the stock turbo at that trap. Still pretty efficient for ~300 ish hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3Iroc View Post
    330 hp is a little optimistic for a street tire trap of 108. I ran 12.7x's on slicks on the stock turbo at that trap. Still pretty efficient for ~300 ish hp.
    slicks have nothing to do with trap speed really. well a little bit. slicks will actually lower trap speed as you can get to the line faster, which means you have less time to make up the mph that a street tire can.....if that makes any sense to you???

i ran 13.7 @ 118mph (2.4-2.5 60 footers) in my L body with the street tires, but slicks made the car go 12.0 @ 115 (1.7-1.8 60s)

Does this mean your changing your screen name, Bill?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast