Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: turbo upgrade

Garrett booster

turbo upgrade

ok i just got a new garrett t03 for my 87 t1. i upgraded the compressor side to a 50 trim wheel, had it balanced.... now im looking the the turbo inlet and it has been machined out for the new bigger wheel. should i just port out the old turbo elbow? or is the TU t1 to t2 compressor adapter big enough.(and i would use my own 90* elbow) any other idea would be great

the new turbo has a new 2.5 SV and 3" downpipe

if i dont like the turbo combo i'll switch it out.
    sorry about the image size my girlfriends digital camera is really nice

turbo addict

Garrett booster

Re: turbo upgrade

what is the diameter it doesn't say? and i just order from them on monday, damn.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I would hog out the outlet as much as possible. I would also weld a piece of metal on there and get as much diameter going to the compressor inlet as possible too. I really don't like the T4 wheels in stock housings.

turbo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I would hog out the outlet as much as possible. I would also weld a piece of metal on there and get as much diameter going to the compressor inlet as possible too. I really don't like the T4 wheels in stock housings.

I loved mine on my shadow.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by d3nt View Post
    what is the diameter it doesn't say? and i just order from them on monday, damn.
    It's bigger than the opening of your turbo.

Garrett booster

yeah that budget one looks to be almost perfect, i'll have to call and get a diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    I loved mine on my shadow.
    I don't like them due to the higher outlet temps and the slower spool vs. a true hybrid from my experience. It's an upgrade for sure, but I'm just not a fan of doing it that way.

Garrett booster

well i spent the time and money going this route. I at least need to see how I like it. Everything was super cheap compared to a true hybrid...... if its bad it will get swapped out with the stock compressor and wheel

well i spent the time and money going this route. I at least need to see how I like it. Everything was super cheap compared to a true hybrid...... if its bad it will get swapped out with the stock compressor and wheel
    I don't think it will be bad. Many people have run that type of turbo successfully. There are some benefits to it such as ease of installation and stock WG location too. A full hybrid does spool faster in my personal experience, and a couple folks have registered lower charge air temps too. I can easily see how that's not deal breaker for a lot of folks.

turbo addict

Pretty big turbo selection for a log manifold, intercooled or not. I think that guy that was selling these on Ebay has been trying to sell these for a long time. IIRC, it was pretty cheap. The good news is with the pull thru turbo, no need for a BOV. I made my own 90 degree elbow for my pull thru application. Got rid of factory elbow and made one out of mandrel bent tubing. Being intercooled you can also ditch the EGR valve that was incorporated in the elbow. This will more than likely relocate the throttle body a bit. At least it did on mine.
    Good luck,
    Todd

Garrett booster

I had problems with the egr about a year ago and deleted it. the new 2.5 SW doesn't have a port for it.

i hope its works better than my blown turbo!!!! so shot i would be making boost and the turbine or the compressor would catch and stop the boost for a second. its was so sloppy that the wheel would lock up until there was enough pressure to jump it to like 4 psi

super nice!

Wow, I thought you were converting to TII. I must have read that incorrectly. Yeah, that is a big turbo for a log.

Hybrid booster

Hey any progress on this? I was thinking about running a similar set-up on my log car after I get my other project done.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Pretty big turbo selection for a log manifold, intercooled or not. I think that guy that was selling these on Ebay has been trying to sell these for a long time. IIRC, it was pretty cheap. The good news is with the pull thru turbo, no need for a BOV. I made my own 90 degree elbow for my pull thru application. Got rid of factory elbow and made one out of mandrel bent tubing. Being intercooled you can also ditch the EGR valve that was incorporated in the elbow. This will more than likely relocate the throttle body a bit. At least it did on mine.
    Good luck,
    Todd
    Any info on these turbos?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS-024 View Post
    Any info on these turbos?
    Not sure if they are still on ebay or not. Just do a search for garrett turbo or T3 Garrett turbocharger and you should find seller. Maybe OP can post where he bought it for you.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I don't like them due to the higher outlet temps and the slower spool vs. a true hybrid from my experience.
    It's an upgrade for sure, but I'm just not a fan of doing it that way.
    Well put.

Turbo housings do have an preferred 'matched' wheel size.
    In the case of the TO4E housing, the 40 - 50 trim sizes have a 76% - 78% peak efficiency while the 57 trim loses efficiency throughout the entire map and 8% at peak.
    Since the the efficiency is inversely proportional to the temperature, as efficiency drops temperature goes up.

The stock housing(s) can be up-fitted with a slight increase in wheel size with positive output gains and minimal packaging issues but the gains depend on how over-sized the wheel is and if the lost efficiency results in excessive spool time and heat.

Garrett booster

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KILLER-Mopar...#ht_636wt_1189 This is the compressor he is using
    Last edited by dj'sr/t; 01-21-2012 at 01:45 AM.

Garrett booster

yes that is the housing, if you email the guy he will machine you the housing any size!!!!! 42,46,50,57 just ask. my turbo worked really good, with a wide open 3" it spooled really quick. that is compared to my blown turbo

turbo addict

yes that is the housing, if you email the guy he will machine you the housing any size!!!!! 42,46,50,57 just ask. my turbo worked really good, with a wide open 3" it spooled really quick. that is compared to my blown turbo
    Okay now I'm confused. We have a dj'sr/t and a d3nt? Different people and both from MN and both joined the forum recently? Please tell me you guys either know each other or are related? We already have twins in the MNSDAC club. This is starting to get confusing...
    Todd

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast