Thread: Top Molding of Shadow front windshield - replaceable?

Top Molding of Shadow front windshield - replaceable?

Can the upper front windshield molding/seal (whatever you want to call it) be removed and replaced with a brand new one without the windshield needing removed? Has anyone here done this exact procedure, and if you have, was there a necessary tool involved? I would think this could be done without having to replace the windshield but just wanted to check if anyone has had experience in doing so before I got into anything. Thanks in advance.

Resident Nuke Turbo Mopar Contributor denviola's Avatar

Re: Top Molding of Shadow front windshield - replaceable?

Omni-Potent has the replacement seals, I'm planning to replace mine as the top seal doesn't cover the entire gap any longer. You are talking about the external seal, correct? Drop a PM on Greg and see what he has to say about tools or not.
    SDAC Member, Steel City Chapter SDAC Member, SV-SDAC member, SV-TD Member
    www.sv-td.com
    85 600 ES Turbo Conv., 91 Spirit R/T
    2014 RAM Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab Dually. 6.7 CTD, AISIN, 4.10 gear
    68 GS400 (owned since 1973, someday 455)
    2012 Can-AM RT Limited

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

It is glued onto the glass (should be anyways) before the glass is glued into the opening.

Thanks guys. The new seal I have is from OmniPotent and yes it's the external one I'm talking about. I will check with Greg and see what he says. I'm kind of thinking that I did ask him in the past regarding what was involves with it and thinking he wasn't quite sure. I'll text him now though to make sure.

Texted back and forth with Greg a little bit here and he, too, thought the windshield has to be out to do this. My Dad also felt the same way saying that the seal may come out, but getting the 'J' looking bottom to tuck under the windshield again may be extremely difficult. I'm not jumping in to tearing mine off until I know for sure if it can be done and I'd urge others to do the same. Anyone have some window replacement contacts from Safelite or somewhere that could shed some light on this?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

How similar are they to the Daytona's trim? I've never looked that closely at a Shadow windshield.

Hybrid booster

The last couple I have pulled here at the house I was able to pull the old piece off... But it was the top and sides in one piece.. Then I cut the broken glass out...

BUT.. I imagine you will have to pull the glass to successfully get the new rubber back on.. as it is designed to be glued to the glass before the glass is installed..

You could be talking about something a bit different though if you have a three piece trim setup like a daytona... But maybe they are being repopped this way as a matter of cost?

Oh and... I have a buddy who gets me good stuff to glue the windows back in... But I think you can 'parts store' urethane and the rest of the fix'ns.. and the Harbor Freight Windshield removal set works quite well...

http://www.harborfreight.com/profess...kit-96339.html

You could have practically had the window out of the car in the time it took to post here... with some practice of course.. But hey.. if you want to practice.. and pick up some spare glass... Self service yards are a great way to try cutting one out...

It is one of those things where I ain't sure you would save a lot of time trying to mess around and do without pulling the glass... Kinda one of those deals where you don't have time or tools to 'do it right' the first time... but you will have both the second time

Hybrid booster

my csx has the original windshield and the seal for the top is missing, Ive tried pulling them out at the jy and they are usually stuck with glue or something and rip but it must be possible to remove since mine is out...

Hybrid booster

You have to remove the windshield to do this correctly.