Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Questions

Hybrid booster

Clutch Questions

Good Afternoon,

Possibly stupid questions, but figured i'd put it out there and hopefully someone could put it to rest for me.

I have determined that my 568 is a small spline transmission (by removing it) but when i go to order the clutch on Turbos Unleashed the distinction is either a 17 or 18 spline, which one is small?

Also, i've settled on the purple plate, but i'm curious which would make more sense than the 4 or 6 plate clutch? Not sure what the difference is.

Thanks in advance.

-Mike

Hybrid booster

Re: Clutch Questions

Alright guys, nevermind.

Counted the splines with sleepy eye this morning, pretty sure it was 18.

The clutch I am going with the 6 plate, for the extra surface area. Not sure if i have the right idea, but i need to order this now so i can get it in the car this weekend.

---------- Post added at 06:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 AM ----------

Nevermind lol. The website says 450 ft/lbs for the 4 puck and 434 for the 6 puck...so to be safe i guess it's a 4 puck =P

I have the 4 puck/purple. It's held mid 10's in my Shadow and is very driveable. I wouldn't hesitate to put one in a street car. Just have to remember, it's likely not going to last 100k miles like an organic would.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

^ See, and I have the 4 puck (with yellow plate) and hate it for daily driving. Way to chattery and feels like it's either "on" or "off", not much in between.

I like the "street and strip" disc a lot better, but it depends on what kind of power you have/are going to have.

I don't know what your plan is for the car, just something to think about.

Hybrid booster

Well the car has been nothing but headaches for the last few years, so i highly doubt i'm going to build it past whatever is currently in the engine in the car. However I put down ~400 ft/lbs with a really crappy tune (about 80 hp short of what the engine "should" be capable of) so i'm not sure that if i find the extra 80 hp i wouldn't need to be able to handle the extra torque.

Given the car's history there is a decent chance this clutch gets put in and then the damn thing sits for 5 months before i just sell it to be done with it. I hear Dodge is coming out with a new 'cuda in 2014....could be a good excuse to get out of the TD game. =P

This is the year, car needs to make it to detroit, and give me some fun, or its curtains. At this point i've sank as much as a brand new (nice!) car and don't have much to show for it, not really in the mood to keep throwing money at this thing anymore.

The clutch, the wheels, now just need to figure out how to tune it, or get someone to tune it right, and maybe enjoy it for the first time in years...

turbo addict

I have a 4 punk with modified blue plate, no complaints here.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MNmopar View Post
    ^ See, and I have the 4 puck (with yellow plate) and hate it for daily driving. Way to chattery and feels like it's either "on" or "off", not much in between.

I like the "street and strip" disc a lot better, but it depends on what kind of power you have/are going to have.

I don't know what your plan is for the car, just something to think about.
    Same here, I have had a 4-puck and a 6-puck, and hate both for daily driving. I'm gonna try a semi-puck next time.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    I have a 4 punk with modified blue plate, no complaints here.
    4 punk?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

17 spline-large
    18 spline-small

Hybrid booster

=). I was thinking that logically (larger splines would mean less room so less splines) but was hoping someone would chime in. I got a headache counting them this morning.

After reading up, i'm just praying the splines aren't worn...really just want to put this thing in (when it gets here) and go....

As soon as the clutch is in, i'm getting some meat for the new wheels...then out and about to break in the clutch before may 5th (i'm in cambodia from April 5th to the 20th...so not as easy as it seems) so i can get to the dyno day and hopefully convince someone to help me tune it. It's a good tune away from being a real street monster.

Sigh....here's hoping....

Worst case I am hoping she makes it out to SDAC and I can cajole someone there to tune it right...lol. I've been trying to get it tuned right for the 9 years since i rebuilt it. freaking impossible...

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Just make sure to slide the disk over the input shaft before you install it. I've had a disk which wouldn't go over the shaft due to being mismachined or the wrong disk all together.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Just make sure to slide the disk over the input shaft before you install it. I've had a disk which wouldn't go over the shaft due to being mismachined or the wrong disk all together.
    +1, I've seen this also.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Hybrid booster

Am I missing something?? I will readily admit to being inexperienced mechanically, but nothing seems wrong with this clutch...not sure why the engine was walking away from the car under throttle.

The disc on the pressure plate has some slight roughness around the edges, but other than that everything looks ok to me, and is smooth. Any thoughts?

Installing the new clutch tomorrow, worst case i guess i don't know what my problem is and i'll have a spare clutch. =(

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Maybe its just the pictures but that flywheel looks really burned up, pressure plate as well but not as bad.

Hybrid booster

if the flywheel is smooth, would it be ok though?

I only ask because my stepfather is supposed to be coming up to re-install everything tomorrow...hate to have him waste the trip if i have to get that re-surfaced

turbo addict

always resurface. Yes your clutch has been slipping.

and OMG +1 to trying the clutch on a tranny before install. Just went through this on a buddies Minivan.

Resurface!
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Hybrid booster

Alrighty...flywheel is out for resurfacing, i guess another week on jackstands wont hurt too much. lol

Hybrid booster

better a week now then getting it all back together and having a brand new slipping clutch.

Hybrid booster

Yeah, that was the thought. I considered just slapping it together, but getting this all apart is such a pain, i really don't feel like doing it again for a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast