Thread: Neon 3-speed Auto valve boby

Hybrid booster

Neon 3-speed Auto valve boby

My '98 Neon has the common problem with the kick down lever seizing up. I got another valvebody from Bucar (Aries_Turbo) from an older A413. My VB and the older VB have the same casting numbers the only difference (i can see) is mine has the lock-up converter solenoid mounted to the side, and It is minus a spring on one of the plungers/valves. I swapped everything over (also did the "shift kit mod" with the rod replacing a spring and removal of the steel ball). Now everything seemed to work ok. I had a hard time plugging in the solenoid when it was all together. I thought I got it, but I am not 100% positive. The car went into park, Reverse, Drive, Neutral, and 1st gear ok. But does not shift on it's own. It seems to stay in 1st gear. Does anyone know IF it could only be the lockup solenoid, or this other (older) VB just doesn't work with the newer Neon.. This could mean the difference between me fixing it in my driveway, of driving it back to my dads (in 1st gear) and spending another bunch of hours changing the vb again.. lol
    Shelby Lancer # 149... R.I.P.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Neon 3-speed Auto valve boby

The only difference between a Neon and older A413 is the LU, so it sounds like you messed up a spring or valve. The LU does have some different valves under the LU plate but not sure if that would affect shifting. Did you make sure the governor tubes were properly seated? Common mistake? TV moves freely and properly adjusted?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

I was sure the tubes were seated propertly but not 100%. when I swapped the lock up solenoid I took teh plate off and noticed it was also missing a spring. so I put one in from the LU valvebody. The TV did move freely but not sure if it was adjusted properly. I guess I could match the old VB...

But one more thing as I was pulling it back into the garage I checked the dipsitck and the fluid was low (this was about an hour ago). I put 4 quarts in lastnight and at first it seemed over filled. When I checked it a second time it was (seemed) ok. Did I not add enough? (Didn't find any leaks) is 1 - 2 qts low enough to not allow it to shift?

Thanks for the info Simon. This will bee the first time I've ever had a Auto trans apart like this. Aside from changing the filter. Most of my cars have been manals..

Its possible you got some valves/springs mixed up, its easy to do.

How are you checking the fluid level? Dropping the pan and vb, it should take around 4-5 litres depending on how long you had the vb off.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

I had the VB off for about 4-5 hours.. I believe I had all the springs in the correct place. I made sure I either marked them or took one out at a time.

turbo addict

What about check balls

Hybrid booster

Check balls all seem to be in place. Except the one I removed for the "shift kit" mod. http://halfahemi.com/fastatx/

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 AM ----------

This is the only difference I could find. These are the plungers that are oushed by the TV lever

Ok, looks like you did the proper tweaks, you can also block the bypass valve.

I would say the vb is no good or you assembled it incorrectly, all it takes is one valve/spring installed incorrectly to mess it up.

Hybrid booster

Alright guys, I got it working..for now. Not sure what I did, I changed a plunger (not sure if thats the correct term) or I might not have had those tubes properly seated (as Simon stated). Thank you for the help! We'll se how it goes on my 40 mie trek to work in 3 hours!!

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

nate, hope its all figured out.

dont toss the old valve body. I need to pull mine and compare the 2-3 shift valve with mine.... mine feels like it goes into neutral when the car is cold for the first 1 or 2 shifts into 3rd gear. i wonder if mine is sticking.

after it shifts 2x, its fine and the shift into 3rd is nice and crisp.

brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    nate, hope its all figured out.

dont toss the old valve body. I need to pull mine and compare the 2-3 shift valve with mine.... mine feels like it goes into neutral when the car is cold for the first 1 or 2 shifts into 3rd gear. i wonder if mine is sticking.

after it shifts 2x, its fine and the shift into 3rd is nice and crisp.

brian
    I would bet your piston seals on the 3rd gear clutch are rock hard. Try some Lucas fix in a bottle, stuff works good.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

i think i remember you saying something like that before but i couldnt remember what it was.

rock hard on a 97 thats been doing this since 100k?

ill try a little of the lucas. i mean ive seen folks dump in fix-in-a-bottle into trannies and have them eat themselves. min just does this only when its real cold and only for the first shift. id hate to mess something up trying to fix something that doesnt bother me that much at all and i work around.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    i think i remember you saying something like that before but i couldnt remember what it was.

rock hard on a 97 thats been doing this since 100k?

ill try a little of the lucas. i mean ive seen folks dump in fix-in-a-bottle into trannies and have them eat themselves. min just does this only when its real cold and only for the first shift. id hate to mess something up trying to fix something that doesnt bother me that much at all and i work around.

Brian
    Cold issues equals seals, 99% of the time, but then again, you are special,

Hybrid booster

You talking like "Window Licker" special, or "Boot Lip" Special?

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Noodle View Post
    You talking like "Window Licker" special, or "Boot Lip" Special?
    Neither, he's gazer special.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff
    If you only put a half bottle in, you should be fine. I did this with my intrigue and never had a problem.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....