Thread: prime oil pump

Garrett booster

prime oil pump

I'm close to getting my engine back together after a rebuild. I'd like to prime and build up oil pressure before starting the car. The car is an 87 2.2 GTS Turbo. When I did this with my 90 Voyager I just removed the fuel pump relay and spun the motor with the starter (no plugs) until pressure built up. The Haynes manual doesn't show a fuel pump relay on the 87. Do I just disconnect the fuel injector harness and spin the motor? Thanks for your help.

Garrett booster

Re: prime oil pump

Unplug the HEP or the ASD relay, cuts spark and fuel. Good for priming the oil and performing compression tests.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

I guess the motor is all dressed up and the timing belt installed ? I usually take an electric drill with a socket driving adapter and 3ft of extensions through the wheel well. spin until theres oil showing at the top of the motor.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Just disconnect the HEP, kills spark and fuel. I do that without plugs or spin the int shaft with a drill or air ratchet.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

With no plugs and no timing belt, I'd undo the silicon return hose, undo the oil filter, fill the oil filter up, put 4 qt in the pan, fill the port right at the bottom of the oil filter base, put the oil filter on, and I turn the intermediate shaft gear clock wise by hand. Turn until oil comes out of the return tube and you're ready to go. You'll feel the oil resistance in turning the gear.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

I use the hand drill and a spare distributor housing.

just tighten the chuck to the rod that spins the rotor, and give it hell. make sure the timing belt is off tho.

you will be able to hear the oil moving around in the engine. especially once it reaches the turbo drain.....no need to remove anything. just listen!!

Mitsu booster

I figured out how to prime my oil pump. However everytime I spoke to someone besides my local sdac president no one would come over. I did have one guy come over to help but everyone has been ghost. Because of that I am going to sell my glh to someone locally. Why? There isn't the type of support people say is here compared to the lexus community. All I needed was a few plugs figured out and my pump primed. I guess that's too much for people in my area to stop by and lend a hand. It was fun thinking that if have a quick fast pocket rocket for the weekend but after months of research and asking I'm done. Time to move on to another lexus. Thank you to the people that responded to pm's and emails. To the people that flaked on me, this is why people stop or don't want to get back into turbo dodges. Limited help. With limited help this community can't grow.

turbo addict

so because you didnt receive support (free labour) now your all hurt, man up fix your own. stop whining. If i buy a lexus will people in Detroit fix it FOR me. maybe they'll help themselves to my wheels. lol

You never heard that expression, Judge people on their actions not their words.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

turbo addict

lol
    I did a compleate turbo, efi, shelby suspension swap on an 85 turismo back in 89-90

I got 0 help because there was no help
    I figured it out all by my little self - with the use of some borrowed 84 service manuals that weren't really much help either since no L body was turbo in 84 and everything turbo after 84 was different

was I proud of it afterwards - you bet
    was I proud of myself for doing it myself - yeah , somewhat

learning by doing is the best way to learn

turbo addict

I bought this Dodge, everyone that owns a Dodge should drop everything they're doing and drop by and give me a hand.
    If not, I'm selling the Dodge.

This is a ridiculous expectation. Free help is nice, but you should NEVER EXPECT FREE HELP. This isn't welfare. Pay a mechanic if you can't fix it yourself.
    Last edited by tryingbe; 11-20-2014 at 01:47 PM.

turbo addict

I started a TM/TD thing with friends I knew back in the day
    one by one they all got into these cars and yeah I was the free help

after already fixing one friends cars countless times , includeing installing more transmissions in his car 'cause he kept buying used up ones and blowing them up than I can count I quit

one night I go around the corner to help , his father says to him "about time he showed up"
    (well within earshot of me)

this was the same day I'd rented an engine crane to put the motor and trans back in my car

buddy was not to happy when I left after putting the trans in his car leaveing him to finish up the small stuff because I had to be up early to work on my own car

he said he'd come over the next day to help but did he ever show up ?

no not for about a ####### week

thus my site name - it's not a claim to know it all but rather the nick name I got from the free repair mooches thrown right back in their faces if they ever go on the TM/TD sites

did I get my car together the next day - ya -- because I can count on myself to help myself

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

This thread has run its course. What has been said in the previous four posts just about says all that needs to be said.