Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Mount Intercoolers with AC - Show me your pictures!

boostaholic

Front Mount Intercoolers with AC - Show me your pictures!

Title says it. I'm planning on tearing out the stock radiator/intercooler in my 91 R/T. The radiator leaks and I'm tired of adding coolant every 200 miles. The plan is to install a full size radiator from an ES and then install a front mount intercooler with the inlet and outlet on the same side.

I think the R/T condenser will mount to a full size radiator, but if not, I'll find an ES condenser as well. The biggest question is what do you do with the intercooler pipes? If required, I can run them underneath the radiator support, but I'd rather try to maintain ground clearance. I cheated on my old CSX because I retained the stock radiator and removed the condenser.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Front Mount Intercoolers with AC - Show me your pictures!

Cut things and it always fits.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

The easiest thing to do (depending on if you can get the parts) is to use the stock T-2 radiator, a mini-van A/C condenser, and run the intercooler pipes through where the stock intercooler was. That's the plan for my Dad's '85 Chrysler T&C wagon. Get a '91-'92 mini-van a/c condenser because the line attachment is lower than the '84-'90. Hopefully I'll have it done this Tuesday. If so I'll post pics.

A.J.

boostaholic

The minivan condenser is a good idea. I have some T2 radiators, but I'm not sure I trust any of them in the car. The goal is to install new, quality parts so I don't have to go through replacing a leaky radiator in another couple years. It's too bad the days of quality copper radiators for our cars are gone. I might continue my search for a copper core radiator that will fit behind the minivan condenser.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

isnt there a mini-van condenser from a certain year that works especially well with a front mount 'cooler? Im thinking its smaller then the normal size minivan condenser.

Quote Originally Posted by jckrieger View Post
    The minivan condenser is a good idea. I have some T2 radiators, but I'm not sure I trust any of them in the car. The goal is to install new, quality parts so I don't have to go through replacing a leaky radiator in another couple years. It's too bad the days of quality copper radiators for our cars are gone. I might continue my search for a copper core radiator that will fit behind the minivan condenser.
    You can get a factory T-2 radiator re-cored with a new copper core. I had to do that for a T-M member who drove his Daytona from Illinois to Arizona and he sprung a leak. It was right before Turbos Unleashed was making their aluminum radiators. It would have been easier on me to have bought a TU radiator since they're local but instead I had to have my customer's radiator re-cored.

A.J.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    isnt there a mini-van condenser from a certain year that works especially well with a front mount 'cooler? Im thinking its smaller then the normal size minivan condenser.
    I think it's the '91-'92 and early '93 mini-van condenser you're thinking of. I'm going to be getting one tomorrow and I'll lay it next to the earlier one ('84-'90) and show you the difference.

A.J.

turbo addict

i ran my i/c piping around the engine, kept the ac that way.

turbo addict

I used the stock GLH condenser in my GLH, moved it about 2 inches to the passenger side.
    I also bought a Griffin all aluminum radiator and replaced the TII radiator, plus upgrading the fan to a much better unit than stock.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Have you considered going with one of the aftermarket horizontal row condensers? They make very small ones and if you use the refrigerant which Warren Hall runs it should still get things icy cool.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Cordes, who makes the ones your referring to?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

boostaholic

The Spirit puked coolant on the serpentine belt which also happened to cause it to come off. I brought the car home on my trailer and it's not going back on the road until it has a front mount intercooler and full size radiator installed. I'm definitely going to have to look at the Griffin radiator and the minivan AC condenser. If I can get everything done for about $500 it'd make my day.

turbo addict

enlarging 2 factory holes right beside each bumper mount will get 2.5"-3.0" pipes in around the ac and full size rad. 1 on each side.

boostaholic

I will pull the bumper off the car tomorrow and see if I can find the best option. Once I figure out where to run the pipes I'll pick the best intercooler. I'd like an intercooler like the Treadstone cooler I had on my CSX. That thing had great performance. Worst case, I'll purchase a different condenser and a narrow radiator. Best case I'll purchase a full size radiator, new cooler and some piping.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    enlarging 2 factory holes right beside each bumper mount will get 2.5"-3.0" pipes in around the ac and full size rad. 1 on each side.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar
    My Spirit is an ES, but i kept A/C and used a big Spearco front mount intercooler. I go under the radiator crossmember with my pipes, and it probably helps they are 2.25" and not bigger.
    But if your budget is $500, the cooler alone would be at least that.

my android sent this for me using Tapatalk...
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

boostaholic

I don't really have a budget, but $500 is a rough target. The Treadstone intercooler I used on my CSX was roughly $250-$300, a replacement radiator is roughly $85, a new longer lower radiator hose is $10, and the piping will be roughly $100. The other variables are making the radiator fan work, smaller condenser, and some aluminum stock for mounting provisions.

I do agree a name brand cooler is the way to go, but I'm not sure it's 100% necessary from my previous experiences. My other option is making a dual core cooler, but I'm not really in the mood for starting a project for my project.

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    My Spirit is an ES, but i kept A/C and used a big Spearco front mount intercooler. I go under the radiator crossmember with my pipes, and it probably helps they are 2.25" and not bigger.
    But if your budget is $500, the cooler alone would be at least that.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar
    And you could check out for condensers:
    http://www.ackits.com/merchant.mvc?S..._Code=Parallel

Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

If you're going to go with smaller than stock a/c/rad setup make sure all holes are plugged by making them smaller. Otherwise you negate gains by pressurizing the engine bay and reducing their cooling efficiency.

I don't have any pics, and its not all back together yet, but I am running a FMIC with a full size radiator and a/c. What I did was cut through the driver side radiator support where the power module was to run two intercooler pipes next to, and behind the battery. I rewired the power module up to the nose of the car for more space.
    Last edited by turbodaytona87; 02-22-2012 at 09:43 PM.

I attempted to put the mini-van a/c condenser in my Dad's '85 T&C wagon. I tried like heck to make it work. I probably could have but it just seemed better to slide the factory on over. I'm going to do a write-up on it.

Here's pictures of the different mini-van a/c condensers. '84-'90 on the right, '91- early '93 on the left. Notice the block that the lines attach to. The later condenser it's lower. It makes it easier to use in a car if you go this route.

A.J.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast