Thread: low vacuum

Garrett booster

low vacuum

Ive been dealing with poor running and idle, i purchased a vac gauge and hooked it up between the FPR and baro and my vac is only 13.5in. I can hear a "hissing" sound which seems to be from under the intake so i assume ive got a blown intake gasket.

My tona is a 86' T1, how difficult is it to change the intake gasket on this log manifold ?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: low vacuum

Check the vacuum hoses and all the turbo to intake connections, any of those can and do leak over time. If the intake is leaking, its easier to pull the head and replace it that way. I tried years ago to do it on the car and gave up. Others can, I find it easier to remove the head.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

thanks vanman.. since its my DD and i need it back quick, i decided to take it to the shop and im having them "smoke" test it and replace the intake gasket if needed. There charging 500.00 bucks to do it, so .. it better be good when i get it back. I just dont have the time to fool with it and need it running.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Sounds good, $500 is a good deal if they actually do it correctly. I do have a feeling you might be getting a phone call saying, its going to cost more, I hope not,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict
    If its a log manifold then hissing under the intake is most likely a bad injector oring
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Garrett booster

Yeah .. im waiting for the dreaded phone call too.

shack.. funny you said that, i replaced the injectors recently BUT, i had the hissing sound prior to that..

Hybrid booster

my brake booster does that when i push the pedal, I just tune around it :P

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Check the vacuum hoses and all the turbo to intake connections, any of those can and do leak over time. If the intake is leaking, its easier to pull the head and replace it that way. I tried years ago to do it on the car and gave up. Others can, I find it easier to remove the head.
    Actually, on the old Log Intake cars, it's not bad at all- provided all the hardware for the turbo can be broken loose.

But yeah, I'd suspect a bad injector O-ring as well. You can confirm it with some carb cleaner. Sometimes it's easy to nick them and make them leak again even though they're new. Been there, done that.

Garrett booster

I've used carb cleaner to locate vacuum leaks with hoses and fittings. Can you use it on the intake manifold to locate a leak.
    As per supercrackerbox I know now I can uses it to located a vacuum leak caused by and injecor O-ring!

Dennis