Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any gains to be had going from a 3" air filter and tubing to 3.5" or 4"?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Any gains to be had going from a 3" air filter and tubing to 3.5" or 4"?

My cone filter is done, its a 3"x6" cone filter, so looking to replace it, is it worth anything to upgrade the pipe and filter diameter? Its currently a short 3" pipe going to a 4" inlet at the turbo.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Re: Any gains to be had going from a 3" air filter and tubing to 3.5" or 4"?

I would go 4" to the turbo if you could . I have seen 2 turbo motors(non mopars) on a dyno now make up 10whp more from a 3 to 4" swap.
    I also think shadow made this upgrade as well and saw improvements

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

i would make the pipe 4" if the turbo inlet is that size. if the turbo inlet is smaller you will see no gains. Also try to get the air from outside the engine compartment .

Wonder how you can measure if its a restriction?

Quote Originally Posted by 16valvecharger View Post
    Also try to get the air from outside the engine compartment .
    Already taken care of.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Has the stock inlet hose been found to be a significant restriction? I used a step up adaptor from my stock T2 inlet hose to the hybrid and used the stock T2 airbox.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

turbo addict

The smaller cone filters will flow less than a flat filter in the airbox.

If you calculate the surface area you will see a gain with the larger surface area.

A 3"X6" cone filter would have a surface area of about 56 in.^2

4X6" cone filter would have a surface area of about 75 in.^2. That is almost 50% more airflow!

...if you know what I mean... Turbo Mopar Contributor csxtra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Has the stock inlet hose been found to be a significant restriction? I used a step up adaptor from my stock T2 inlet hose to the hybrid and used the stock T2 airbox.
    I do know that the stock airbox is definitely a restriction once you get over 300WHP (maybe sooner). I was stuck at 110mph in the 1/4 running the stock airbox with a K&N drop in panel filter, and when I switched to a big K&N cone filter (sucking in hot underhood air) I picked up 4 MPH with no other changes on back-to-back runs.
    Warren Hall
    "My Name is Warren and my car is an alcoholic..."
    OVC - SDAC "Our Sh*t Rolls!"
    Cincinnati, OH
    87 CSX # 741
    317WHP - 380 WFt-Lbs (STD-5)
    12.460 @ 113.2 - Race Gas + Methanol Injection
    12.749 @ 109.84 - 91 octane + Methanol Injection (Still tuning...)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum."
    -General Joseph Stillwell
    TD Runlogger Page Has Moved...

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    The smaller cone filters will flow less than a flat filter in the airbox.

If you calculate the surface area you will see a gain with the larger surface area.

A 3"X6" cone filter would have a surface area of about 56 in.^2

4X6" cone filter would have a surface area of about 75 in.^2. That is almost 50% more airflow!
    Just curious as I suck with math, how did you calculate that?

Quote Originally Posted by csxtra View Post
    I do know that the stock airbox is definitely a restriction once you get over 300WHP (maybe sooner). I was stuck at 110mph in the 1/4 running the stock airbox with a K&N drop in panel filter, and when I switched to a big K&N cone filter (sucking in hot underhood air) I picked up 4 MPH with no other changes on back-to-back runs.
    Wow that's incredible.

Simon, I know Garrett's turbo calculator takes into account on average a 1psi drop in inlet Pressure P2c so it is truley important to have a free flowing system. I try to always go as big and free flowing as possible.

A quote from Garrett's website, "In determining pressure ratio, the absolute pressure at the compressor inlet (P2c) is often LESS than the ambient pressure, especially at high load. Why is this? Any restriction (caused by the air filter or restrictive ducting) will result in a “depression,” or pressure loss, upstream of the compressor that needs to be accounted for when determining pressure ratio. This depression can be 1 psig or more on some intake systems."

-Bryan

Alright, I'll order the 4"x10" cone S@B filter with a open other end and make up a 4" pipe.

Good topic and Ive been wondering same thing myself , solved!

Where to get some 4" aluminum piping, it doesn't need to be thick walled, I need 2-3 feet of straight and a 90 deg section. Ebay doesn't have anything really, our pipe vendor nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by trannybuster View Post
    Good topic and Ive been wondering same thing myself , solved!
    Its tinkering and getting ready for racing season mode, so thinking out loud,

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Just curious as I suck with math, how did you calculate that?
    Circumference of a circle = pi*D
    Multiple that by the length of the cone to get Surface area.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Charger has had full 4" with 4x10 cone filter the whole time I've been running it. Even on the 57 trim I had a 4 to 3" adapter at the turbo.

Originally did this over 8 years ago on the mid 11 sec 46 trim, just because and never looked back.....

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Where to get some 4" aluminum piping, it doesn't need to be thick walled, I need 2-3 feet of straight and a 90 deg section. Ebay doesn't have anything really, our pipe vendor nothing.
    Try Vibrant. They have 4" aluminum intake tubing and they are in Canada
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Charger has had full 4" with 4x10 cone filter the whole time I've been running it. Even on the 57 trim I had a 4 to 3" adapter at the turbo.

Originally did this over 8 years ago on the mid 11 sec 46 trim, just because and never looked back.....
    Ok, so did you ever run a 3" setup and if so, any difference?

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    Try Vibrant. They have 4" aluminum intake tubing and they are in Canada
    Thanks, I'll try that.

turbo addict

As far as reading a rectriction, I would suggest a water manometer. You might even have one around with all your multi carbed bike carburetor experience.

Is the inlet to your turbo 4" diameter? I decided to go with 2.5" on mine because that's the inlet size of my compressor housing.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Ok, so did you ever run a 3" setup and if so, any difference?
    Nope, never tried 3". After coming to a firm understanding of how a turbo works most efficiently I have gone to lengths to help it do exactly that. Maybe after the Charger goes into the 9's I will try "demoding" certain things to see what effect they have.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    As far as reading a rectriction, I would suggest a water manometer. You might even have one around with all your multi carbed bike carburetor experience.

Is the inlet to your turbo 4" diameter? I decided to go with 2.5" on mine because that's the inlet size of my compressor housing.
    Yeah, I do, I'd have to video it or something, lol. Would be nice to actually datalog but at this point, I don't think its worth the energy.

Yep, the inlet is 4", run an adapter to knock it down to 3" as all my old turbo's had a 3" inlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Nope, never tried 3". After coming to a firm understanding of how a turbo works most efficiently I have gone to lengths to help it do exactly that. Maybe after the Charger goes into the 9's I will try "demoding" certain things to see what effect they have.
    That would be interesting to see,

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Its tinkering and getting ready for racing season mode, so thinking out loud,
    http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...b86803e55fabad

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...b86803e55fabad

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    Circumference of a circle = pi*D
    Multiple that by the length of the cone to get Surface area.
    Right but how would you account for it's taper? Maybe I'm overthinking this. lol sorry just bashed my head around calculating volumetric flow rate vs face velocity and filter area for my filter because of this thread, for my Audi's new CAI.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast