Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Making your TM a Track King

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Making your TM a Track King

Okay after seeing people dumping all this money into their vehicles and running so many pounds of boost but still stuck in the 13's or 14's, I've decided to hopefully educate people here for how to race your TM properly and how to make it go its fastest. Every TM has potential for atleast 13's or 12's. It's very easy, can be very cheap, so let's kick some a$$ folks. It's disapointing to see people still in the 15's. Up the boost, open that exhaust, freeze that intake charge.

With that said, here's my writeup to make your TM a freaking rocket.

(1.Traction
    Most of the problems people are having are in the first 60'. Coming off the line is the hardest yet most important part of drag racing. Our cars are naturally torquey vehicles. We're torque monsters. This makes traction difficult to attain. Invest into some slicks or even drag radials.

(A. Warming up the slicks or drag radials.
    Doing a burnout is an important part to making those tires stick. Pull into the burnout box and go through out. You want the bottom of the slick about 2 inches past the box. This will put a little load on the differential, causing it to "lock up" just a bit and spinning both tires. It might transfer between tires a bit, but for the most part it will spin both if done right.

If you have an auto, bring up the boost and get into 1st gear lightly, short shift into 2nd and nail it. Take it up through 2nd for about 3 seconds then let off. Don't forget to set the e-brake.... if it works.

A manual, okay I've never raced a turbo manual. I'm not sure on there. Someone else can describe how to properly roast the tires on a stick.

(B. Tire pressure
    Bump up the rear tire pressure and lower the front pressure. Personally I run 42psi in the rear tires and with slicks I run 11-12psi, drag radials I'll run 13-14psi.

(C. Launching
    Ah, the most difficult part. If you have a larger than mitsu turbo the boost will more than likely come on slow and when it comes on there's where the problems are. Play around with how high you come out. I personally came out at 3,200 - 3,300 RPMS (8 or 9psi of boost) and got right into it. I cut a 1.88 60'. With drag radials I couldn't get it to hook. I would have to get into the gas half throttle until I came near 4,700 RPMs, then I could mash it.

So when coming out, try getting into it at a throttle percentage and then procede to WOT. It will take practice, but holy hell hold on when you got it down.

Invest into heavy duty rear shocks. They're $45 at AutoZone. They will keep that car from squating and losing front end traction

Some people have had luck with a dual stage boost controller. Set it to a low boost setting and flipping a switch, activating a higher boost level. That again will take lots of practice, but works well once mastered.

(2. Staging
    Assuming you have an auto, it'll be hard to build boost quick if you have a larger than a mitsu. turbo. Trying to build boost on pre-stage and roll into stage with boost wont work too well. When you are in the boost the master cylinder can't develop any more vaccum for the brakes. If you let off the brakes and try to get back into the brakes, the brakes aren't going to apply as hard, because you just let some vaccum out. Do your burnout quick and fly into staging. When you get into the staging and activate the last bulb, get that boost building. Use your tach as a reference where to come out at, it's bigger than the boost gauge and easier to see.

Again with the 5spd, never done it. Someone?

(3. Shifting
    In any auto or stick you can feel where the car's power-band is. You will feel it stop pulling. Look at the tach where it stops pulling and shift there. On a stock 8v head it's usually only good for 5,500 RPMs. Since upgrading from the stock T3 Garrett to a T3/T04E with a super 50 wheel I noticed I had more top end power. This would be due to a higher flowing exhaust side.

In an auto, invest into a reverse manual valve body (RMVB) so you can shift it wherever you want. You also have the benefit to turn the line pressure up the grenade-mode so it barks 2nd gear every time.

In a stick, I would atleast reccommend a good clutch. Centerforce kicks a$$.

(4. Keeping it cold

Another VERY important part that I see a lot of TMer's forget. Let the damn car cool down!!! Put a towel and ice on top the intake. Spray the intercooler with a garden hose and put some ice on it, or even both. When coming down the return road pop the hood and put the heat on high and defrost. By the time you get to your pit area you can shut if off immediately. It's a good cool down from the return road.

When you get into your pit area open the hood and let it cool for atleast 10-15 minutes. Invest into a manual cooling fan switch. They're like $5 and it helps keep things cool at the track. I leave mine on from the time I arrive at the gate. The battery will be fine with its charge.

Also I recommend buying a 180 thermostat. Drill a very small hole at the top of the thermostate on the outer portion that sticks out. Install it so the hole points straight up.

That's it for now. Add on to this and lets help people get their TMs kicking butt.

Look over into the General area, I compiled a list of go-fast mods.

-Bryan

Hybrid booster

Re: Making your TM a Track King

I'd burn out in 2nd back when I had my 5-speed Shadow. Ran 10.5 psi pressure in my M&H slicks.

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Defrost kicks the A/C on and heats up the intercooler and engine bay. Heat if fine, but not defrost.

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

What A/C---ours are all gone except on the 91 Spirit ES and BIG PSI my
    89 Voyager SE.

Chuck

Who has working AC on a 20 year old TD?????
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

Ha, A/C... that's funny, Frank.

Anyways, let's keep those tricks and tips coming!

...if you know what I mean... Turbo Mopar Contributor csxtra's Avatar

For cooling, if the car was originally equipped with A/C, you can use the A/C controls for a manual fan switch.

If you have working A/C, unplug the compressor clutch, then put the climate control on A/C and turn the blower on low. The computer will start the radiator fan, thinking the A/C is running.

If you don't have working A/C, or you have removed the A/C, short the pins on the pressure switch connector together (so the computer thinks that the A/C is charged), and do the same.

No need to add another switch or additional wiring.

And on clutches:
    The Centerforce kicks @ss up until about 230 HP, after which it SLIPS @ss. It is designed to hold high HP/Torque at high RPM, but our cars will easily overpower it because the weights don't add any additional clamping in the 3000-4000 RPM range, where our cars make more torque than it can handle.

As you go up in power, expect to replace the Centerforce...
    Warren Hall
    "My Name is Warren and my car is an alcoholic..."
    OVC - SDAC "Our Sh*t Rolls!"
    Cincinnati, OH
    87 CSX # 741
    317WHP - 380 WFt-Lbs (STD-5)
    12.460 @ 113.2 - Race Gas + Methanol Injection
    12.749 @ 109.84 - 91 octane + Methanol Injection (Still tuning...)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum."
    -General Joseph Stillwell
    TD Runlogger Page Has Moved...

Hybrid booster

RP stage3 4-puck

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

According to Aries_Turbo, the new Strip & Street clutch from TU is pretty sweet!
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Quote Originally Posted by slasky
    Who has working AC on a 20 year old TD?????
    Me. At least until the compressor locked up a few days ago.
    Oh well, at least I have a spare...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by csxtra
    If you don't have working A/C, or you have removed the A/C, short the pins on the pressure switch connector together (so the computer thinks that the A/C is charged), and do the same.

No need to add another switch or additional wiring.
    I tried this on my R/T a couple months ago and it still didn't work.

Bad Mother Flecker Turbo Mopar Staff fleckster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3Iroc
    I tried this on my R/T a couple months ago and it still didn't work.
    Is the wiring at your clutch plugged in and working? If you have a short in the wiring up at the clutch, it won't kick the compressor on either. You may have to check and make sure that you are getting voltage at the clutch. Maybe a bad A/C relay? What Warren suggests is to bypass the low pressure switch. That will take care of only that portion. (if the clutch doesn't come on because of low pressure) If that doesn't allow the a/c clutch to be engaged then you have another problem in the a/c electrical system.

John M. Fleck

'83 Dodge Rampage 2.2 w/ 2.5L Turbo 14.79@94
    '87 Shelby Lancer #213 14.99@94
    '89 Chrysler LeBaron GT Turbo 'vert 15.88@92
    '92 Dodge Spirit R/T 13.50@104 ; 13.34@102 on slicks
    '98 Dodge Neon R/T 15.66@89
    '03 Dodge SRT-4 13.91@98

turbo addict

The A/C used to work on the car but it developed a leak 2 years ago and now all of the plumbing is removed. I ended up cutting the connector off and tied the wires together because I wasnt sure if they were making contact in the plug. I thought maybe Chrysler changed the wiring on the later cars. I'll swap out some relays and see what happens. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3Iroc
    The A/C used to work on the car but it developed a leak 2 years ago and now all of the plumbing is removed. I ended up cutting the connector off and tied the wires together because I wasnt sure if they were making contact in the plug. I thought maybe Chrysler changed the wiring on the later cars. I'll swap out some relays and see what happens. Thanks.

This trick hasn't worked on my R/T's either...always worked on all the 8v cars I've had though.

I used it to recharge my Spirit's a/c shortly before SDAC-16. I admit I didn't use it to cool the engine, just to start the compressor to draw in the R134...

Snoogins!

John M. Fleck

'03 Dodge SRT-4 13.91@98

Garrett booster

The A/C fan trick also did not work for me: 8V and A/C totally removed?

Bryan,

This is on topic since you listed in a method to make your TM "a track king."

I would guess that in removing the A/C system, somewhere, somehow, a connection is no longer made, completing the circuit and telling the computer to kick the fan on via the fan relay. I would be willing to bet that even though the low pressure switch my be bypassed, you still must have the a/c clutch switch done too. Then the cooling fan can be used for cooling in the pits, staging lanes, or on the return road.

John M. Fleck

'03 Dodge SRT-4 13.91@98

Garrett booster

Hmm, Fleckster!

So I suppose an experiment of sorts is in order by possibly jumping the clutch switch as well, meaning the connector that once went to the A/C compressor? I hate sitting in the staging lanes waiting for my fan to turn off or on depending on what I'd like!

Okay buy a toggle switch at the hardware store (any kind will work). Wire one end to a 20 fuse in slot number 15, the other end gets wired directly into the fan's circuit. Easy enough?

I made this thread for folks to give advice on how to drag race, not how to cool their engine. Not to be a dick, but if you want to know how to use the A/C switch in use as a manual cooling fan switch, make another thread. Sorry if I'm being a little blunt here.

-Bryan

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast