Thread: Super 60 info needed...

Garrett booster

Super 60 info needed...

I have a super 60 turbo but dont know what garrett and # or "T#" turbo it is. Mainly I think the garrett model # would help me to find parts that would interchange with it. I'd like to get a different exhaust housing or swing valve. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Punish'nRice; 02-12-2012 at 01:38 AM. Reason: wording

turbo addict

Re: Super 60 info needed...

it's a T3 family with a chrysler style compressor, exhaust housing and SV.

turbo addict

Post a picture of the turbo you have.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Like this?

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...turbo-for-sale

If it is an S60, it will have a stage 1 .63 a/r housing, so you already have the good one, so what do you want to do, put a .48 a/r housing on or go to a T3 flange?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

@ turbovanman; no it doesn't look like that one, similar.

This is mine. Old pic from computer. If other pics are needed late me know.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That certainly looks like a .63 housing on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Punish'nRice View Post
    @ turbovanman; no it doesn't look like that one, similar.

This is mine. Old pic from computer. If other pics are needed late me know.
    Looks the same to me?

Anyhow, I agree with Cordes, looks like a .63 housing, so what are you looking for? Smaller a/r? Different flange?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

As for what parts interchange... the center section is standard t3 and any other t3 stuff will work on it, including bearings and seals. The compressor backplate will work on any t3 center section or t3-family compressor wheel because they all have the same exducer diameter (60mm). The compressor cover and compressor wheel are matched pieces. You cant put any other kind of compressor wheel (other than another S60 t3 wheel) on there without changing the cover, and vice versa.

The turbine is a stock stg1 turbine just like what's in every factory garrett t3 on a log t1 or a t2 setup.

The turbine housing has the standard t3 interface where it bolts to the center section, but the turbine inlet and outlet use chrysler-specific flanges. The inside of the turbine housing is cut for a stg1 turbine wheel so you couldnt put a stg2 or stg3 etc turbine in it without machining the turbine housing.

You can rebuild the center section with any old t3 kit.

You can put another t3 compressor wheel on it as long as you have the proper t3 cover to go with it. You could put a t4 wheel in there by machining the backplate and cover. You could put a full t4 compressor section on there by changing the backplate, wheel, and cover together.

You can put a .48 housing on there because they're cut for the same stg1 turbine and have all the same flanges.

You can NOT put a stg2 or 3 or ANY other turbine wheel in it without machining the housing or get one that's already matched to the new turbine.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

I ment that it wasn't a turbonetics super 60. That's why I said it was similar.

I'd like to maybe change out exhaust side turbine housing to one that has a external wastegate. I'm going to do 3" turbo back and thinking of putting a swing valve with a 3" v-band.

I'd like to maybe change out exhaust side turbine housing to one that has a external wastegate. I'm going to do 3" turbo back and thinking of putting a swing valve with a 3" v-band.
    You can remove the SV and then go the external route. You can fab something up. You can swap out the turbine housing but then your going for a Dodge pattern to a standard T3, so then you need to modify or redrill the exhaust manifold.

Check out Pat Culkin's log on this K car, he built an external gate.

Why do you want the external gate? It seems like a frivolous pursuit to me, but I don't know what else you have going on either.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    You can remove the SV and then go the external route. You can fab something up. You can swap out the turbine housing but then your going form a Dodge pattern to a standard T3, so then you need to modify or redrill the exhaust manifold.

Check out Pat Culkin's log on his K car, he built an external gate.
    Thanks, didn't think about the exhaust flange change. I'll have to look him up and check out what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Why do you want the external gate? It seems like a frivolous pursuit to me, but I don't know what else you have going on either.
    Just exploring my avenues at the moment. Kind of want to do the screamer pipe setup, but still on the fence with that idea.

Just exploring my avenues at the moment. Kind of want to do the screamer pipe setup, but still on the fence with that idea.
    Screamers rock,

Thanks, didn't think about the exhaust flange change. I'll have to look him up and check out what he did.

That's cool. I don't want to knock your plans at all. I was just wondering where you were coming from since there is a lot of performance to be had before the external gate becomes a big advantage IMO.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Screamers rock,
    I might have do a screamer now!!!

That's cool. I don't want to knock your plans at all. I was just wondering where you were coming from since there is a lot of performance to be had before the external gate becomes a big advantage IMO.
    Thats cool. So when does an external gate become to be a big advantage?

I might have do a screamer now!!!

Thats cool. So when does an external gate become to be a big advantage?
    From what I've been able to gather on here it's a big advantage when it is used as a band-aid for a poorly flowing system or when used in an efficient manner with a great exhaust side of the system.

For example, it's been talked about more than once that an external gate may help to alleviate a lot of the problems associated with the VNT turbos. That's a band-aid type fix for sure though since one could just install a larger turbo with an internal gate and not have the problem any longer.

Garrett booster

From what I've been able to gather on here it's a big advantage when it is used as a band-aid for a poorly flowing system or when used in an efficient manner with a great exhaust side of the system.

For example, it's been talked about more than once that an external gate may help to alleviate a lot of the problems associated with the VNT turbos. That's a band-aid type fix for sure though since one could just install a larger turbo with an internal gate and not have the problem any longer.
    Cool.

An external gate becomes a big advantage when you custom build the whole flowpath to utilize it because then you can run a more responsive turbine without increasing the restrictiveness of the setup.

I dont get or agree with the term band aid for an external wastegate on a VNT. The wastegate is more than a bandaid and the external part is just circumstantial. I plan to put an external gate coming off a vnt turbine housing.. right where the stock internal gate on a chrysler t3 housing is. I dont think the wastegate is a bandaid on a vnt any more than it is on a regular t3.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    An external gate becomes a big advantage when you custom build the whole flowpath to utilize it because then you can run a more responsive turbine without increasing the restrictiveness of the setup.

I dont get or agree with the term band aid for an external wastegate on a VNT. The wastegate is more than a bandaid and the external part is just circumstantial. I plan to put an external gate coming off a vnt turbine housing.. right where the stock internal gate on a chrysler t3 housing is. I dont think the wastegate is a bandaid on a vnt any more than it is on a regular t3.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I don't see much viability in the stock compressor side of a VNT to justify an external gate for one given most people's goals. Your goals my be different, but for 99% of the folks who have posted up on here an upgrade to even a TII turbo would be a more rational response to the problem. That's probably why I haven't seen an external gate on one yet.

In full disclosure, I have recommended just what you are talking about to someone, but he wan'ts to keep the stock VNT heck or high water.

Well, i am upgrading the compressor side on mine as has been possible to do for years and years. It is a lot of work to make a VNT worth a crap on a 2.2 or 2.5L.. I just see a wastegate as an actual, legitimate way to address a problem and not as a band-aid. I am putting a VNT on my 1.0L. I think it will be perfect for that app. And it wont need a wastegate.