Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NHRA Remote Batter Disconnect Switch

NHRA Remote Batter Disconnect Switch

Has anyone hooked up a remote disconnect switch per NHRA rules in their car for mounting the battery in the hatch? Specifically I know I can run the wiring from the remote battery through a disconnect but the switch will not shut down the motor once it's running. I'm thinking one of the disconnect switches with a auxillary contact running a secondary relay to disconnect the power to the electronics.
    Replace your old parts or the broken ones with the new ones for the prices you can find on an Autozone Specials sale.
    Last edited by BadAssPerformance; 11-11-2020 at 12:50 PM.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: NHRA Remote Batter Disconnect Switch

Per the rules, any battery relocation requires a rear vehicle mounted and labelled switch that cuts all power to the vehicle. Typically wired like:

Batt (+) --> switch --> main power tap (including fuel pump and ECU)

So when you flip the switch, the ECU and fuel pump are de-energized... if yours doesn't kill it, then thats maybe cuz you didn't break the circuit from the alternator?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Per the rules, any battery relocation requires a rear vehicle mounted and labelled switch that cuts all power to the vehicle. Typically wired like:

Batt (+) --> switch --> main power tap (including fuel pump and ECU)

So when you flip the switch, the ECU and fuel pump are de-energized... if yours doesn't kill it, then thats maybe cuz you didn't break the circuit from the alternator?
    Yeah I can disco the battery in the van and the alt will keep it running.

boostaholic

you are going to have to also wire in a heavy duty continuous duty relay like a snow plow relay to pass the alt field wire thru.... then avtivat the relay via the batt disconect switch.... ill draw a diagram here in a few minutes

turbo addict

Or have the relay interrupt the ASD relay as well as battery power.

EDIT This is from the 2008 rulebook.

Mandatory when battery is relocated or on any vehicle running
    9.99 or quicker. An electrical power cutoff switch (one only) must
    be installed on the rearmost part of each vehicle and be easily
    accessible from outside the car body. This cutoff switch must be
    connected to the positive side of the electrical system and must
    stop all electrical functions, including magneto ignition. The off
    position must be clearly indicated with the word “OFF.” If switch is
    “push/pull” type, “push” must be the action for shutting off the
    electrical system, “pull” to turn it on. Any rods or cables used to
    activate the switch must be minimum 1/8-inch diameter. Plastic or
    keyed switches prohibited.
    Last edited by shadow88; 02-05-2012 at 07:42 PM.

Yeah that's pretty much what I found. I'm wondering if I can either cut the ASD power as this would kill the electronics or use a high amp relay to switch the entire fuse box power feed wire. Either adding a regular 30amp relay to the ASD circuit wiring, or extending the ASD wiring to the hatch and running them directly through the secondary contacts on the disconnect switch would be easy enough. The current wiring in the daytona is just for the rear mounted battery, I do have circuit breakers installed front and rear but it's basically in parallel with the alternator like the stock wiring is. It would seem like a lot more work to run a cable from the alternator to the battery, then to the disconnect switch, then back up to the front of the car.

The intent of the rule is not to just cut the power to shut the engine off, but instead to break the (+) circuit of the power system so that, lets say the car is upside down and on fire, the insulation is burned off several wires, the main (+) circuit is broken with the switch

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

boostaholic

^^ right...its to remove all elecrticity from the vehicle... there are many ways you can cut power and kill the motor... i.e. the 14DB wire going into the ECU is you power feed for the computer, cut the circut, shut the computer off kills the motor.... 14DG coil feed wire will do the same, cut the power off to the coil, kills the motor.... all these can be done from a HD sol/relay... i am currently doing the same thing per NHRA rules, and my disconnect will provide direct feed to the MSD ign. box, kill the power on the box, kills the motor...

oh and im planning on a dash kill switch too for the car, something to think about

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	switch wiring.jpg 
Views:	19646 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	37254

Need to add the alternator to your circuit diagram there...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

boostaholic

thats what one of the firewall passthrus are for... one for the alt, the other for the starter... all my electrical is going under the dash fuse box and all...oh and the ground is most likely going to be a direct mounted stud going thru the fire wall, no rubber grommet

edit... oh i see now, yeah your right.... ok... back to the drawing board...lol i thinkg if i just redirect the alt (+) directly to the battery, that should work...

right...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

I can understand the idea of wanting to kill the power to the wire so it can't short out and catch on fire. I was a MECP certified automotive electronics installer for a few years while going to colleage for electrical engineering. God knows I've seen way to many burnt up cars from people installing wiring for a stereo without fuses. What I don't understand is if you crash the power is not going to be cut until emergency crew member X runs down the track and flips the switch. If the wire is shorted it will be burnt to a crisp long before anyone gets to the switch. Having a circuit breaker installed will instantly kill the power if the wire is shorted. I'm all for the safety but the approved execution is strongly questioned. I think I'm going to start with the battery disconnect and interrupting the ASD circuit and go from there. This will remove any safety aspects of shorting the wiring/battery and will also kill the car when flipped.

turbo addict

This is why I am happy keeping my battery up front to help with traction!
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by bfarroo View Post
    I can understand the idea of wanting to kill the power to the wire so it can't short out and catch on fire. I was a MECP certified automotive electronics installer for a few years while going to colleage for electrical engineering. God knows I've seen way to many burnt up cars from people installing wiring for a stereo without fuses. What I don't understand is if you crash the power is not going to be cut until emergency crew member X runs down the track and flips the switch. If the wire is shorted it will be burnt to a crisp long before anyone gets to the switch. Having a circuit breaker installed will instantly kill the power if the wire is shorted. I'm all for the safety but the approved execution is strongly questioned. I think I'm going to start with the battery disconnect and interrupting the ASD circuit and go from there. This will remove any safety aspects of shorting the wiring/battery and will also kill the car when flipped.
    Benji, One other option you have is to use a constant duty solenoid (80 amp minimum) for the main batt. supply, with the control side switched by a simple toggle switch that you mount at the rear bumper area. that way you dont have to run so much heavy cable to required outside cutoff switch.
    Also with this system you can wire a ford style inertia switch in series with the toggle sw. If you crash the inertia switch shuts everything down.
    NHRA wants to be able to shut the car off at the starting line in case of a leak or some other problem the driver or crew are unaware of.
    As discussed in another thread the Ford inertia switch has not inadvertantly shut my car down, even with 1.5 short times.
    Also, I had NHRA div. tech man give me the OK on the setup. Hope this helps somehow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	power solenoid.jpg 
Views:	708 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	37309  
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Good info!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

I'm finally getting the switch installed this weekend. Does anyone know what wire the ADS power feed wire is on a SBEC car? I found a TBI diagram which lists it as terminal 3, RD/WT. I would think it would be the same with the turbo car but want to make sure.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    Benji, One other option you have is to use a constant duty solenoid (80 amp minimum) for the main batt. supply, with the control side switched by a simple toggle switch that you mount at the rear bumper area. that way you dont have to run so much heavy cable to required outside cutoff switch.
    Also with this system you can wire a ford style inertia switch in series with the toggle sw. If you crash the inertia switch shuts everything down.
    NHRA wants to be able to shut the car off at the starting line in case of a leak or some other problem the driver or crew are unaware of.
    As discussed in another thread the Ford inertia switch has not inadvertantly shut my car down, even with 1.5 short times.
    Also, I had NHRA div. tech man give me the OK on the setup. Hope this helps somehow.
    In case this thread is easier for people to search for, found it when looking up kill switch rules on google.

I have a continuous duty solenoid and a real Moroso metal switch in the rear (but only rated for a low amp carb'd car). Because the solenoid eats battery when energized, I have it wired to turn off when key off, and then to start the car I have to first energize the solenoid with a momentary switch. Once the solenoid is energized it won't turn off until key off. This means no memory functions for me unless I wired in something outside the kill system. My boost controller has a memory function and it pulls ridiculous amperage so I may never worry about it. Its for some sorta learning function that I might not care about (not boosted not to even be able to test).

I also have a 100 amp breaker before the solenoid.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

I ended up wiring everything through the switch. Alternator wire runs front to back and ties to the battery. Power leaves the battery goes through the switch and back up front to supply power to the electrical system. I also installed a circuit breaker up front to protect the wire feeding the battery from the alternator and another circuit breaker at the battery to protect the wire feeding the car electrical. The car shuts down when the switch is flipped.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Lots of good info here. Thank you all contributors.

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of good info here. Thank you all contributors.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Looks like I'm going to be doing the same soon. Like Benji did. Thanks for the info.

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast