Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: junkyard teardown of diamite

Garrett booster

junkyard teardown of diamite

thinking of getting the 10:1 pistions out of it and plan on getting the cams too but how hard is it to pull the pistions without pulling the motor and easiest way since i will be in the dirt doing the work. dont want the whole motor as this place is $$$$$ and might even just toss the pistions over the fence. and get them after i leave. and another question on these pistions what rings do i buy for them???

turbo addict

Re: junkyard teardown of diamite

Ed got a set of 91.1mm chrome rings from Summit Racing and I did the same. I just got the 1.2 1.5 3.0 ringset that matches up with 1992+ motors that are oem 8.9:1. 8.85:1 motors in early years are 1.5 1.5 and 3.0 and are beefier if you want oem pistons because the top ring is located much farther down.
    talking about the stock pistons. that should be a good starting point.. cant see why the rings would be different.

you could pull the oil pan, pull the crank and then pull the rods and pistons out but iirc new set of 10:1 cast pistons is like $150. thats so worth it.

Hybrid booster

pistons wont come out the bottom as far as i could tell on my block, the main bearing webs look like they get in the way of the piston skirts trying to come out the bottom. p.s. dont throw pistons over a fence unless you want to chance ruining them by bending a skirt or chipping them.

Garrett booster

If anythingi knew I would have to tear the oil pan off and heads to get them out but my qtuestion was anyone got any quick tips minus the ones like cut timing belt and hoses just to get them out the way quicker. And i wasn't going to toss them over really more like pull the fence up and slide them underneath it I know the crank won't come out all the way without removing the trans and oil pump. I should be able to get heads off then oil pan then rod bolts then all out the top.

Main question is are the rings differnt

Hybrid booster

the rings should be whatever came stock, like npr moly rings or? and the bore should be 91.1mm unless somebody already has dug into it to bore it out. look closely at the piston crowns though, as some diamante's didnt come with 10:1 motors( ive read about this). if you want them, yank em, clean them and use them if the skirts are not scuffed up or scarred.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by shayne View Post
    . p.s. dont throw pistons over a fence unless you want to chance ruining them by bending a skirt or chipping them.
    Or maybe, don't throw the pistons over the fence because that's stealing . Perhaps the prices would be better if everyone paid for their parts?

turbo addict

if its a car i dont care about, ill cut everything apart but i like to take care when its a 3.0. someone might want that timing belt, or hose. i dont know how id be able to tell a fellow 3.0 guy, "o yeah im the one who cut the harness in a million peaces and trashed the engine bay just to get some injectors, or in your case, pistons"

id just buy a set off rock auto.. $150 and they are brand new (IIRC) What would you do with that perfectly fine set of heads? re install them? lol

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bill2 View Post
    Or maybe, don't throw the pistons over the fence because that's stealing . Perhaps the prices would be better if everyone paid for their parts?

But anyhow, yeah, not much you can do to lessen the work, oil pan, rod bolts, intake, valve covers, heads.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

oil pan requires removal of front motor mount too.

seems like to much of a hasle to teat into the motor and find a couple of the pistons shot or something.

cams on the other hand are easy to pull

Garrett booster

Then how about a link to where I can buy them that cheap cause i would rather pay for them bit at resonable prices they are no where close and are just that ignorant so that's y I do it there and really only there. Now if I can buy them for a decent price I will. Plz send me a link

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

Then how about a link to where I can buy them that cheap cause i would rather pay for them bit at resonable prices they are no where close and are just that ignorant so that's y I do it there and really only there. Now if I can buy them for a decent price I will. Plz send me a link.

And i ain't to worried about the cams i am in contact with turbovanman and looking to get cams to match the limits of the head in stock from - the rockers I am trying to make and test I want a cam worth testing and this should be fun

turbo addict

id look them up for you but im super busy

just go to rock auto and search for the correct year car and post the link and others will comfirm if they are correct.

Garrett booster

not sure on the year but guessed 95

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 PM ----------

i dont think that worked but tried

turbo addict

oops forgot rock auto sucks for making links

were they $150ish?

post a part number

Garrett booster

[TABLE="class: parts"] [TR] [TD="class: left"][TABLE="class: layout"] [TR] [TD="class: partlayout"]SEALED POWER Part # H694CP
    12 valve engine; Hypereutectic; 1 - 1.20mm Groove, 1 - 1.50mm Groove, 1 - 3.00mm Groove, 1.252 CD, Recessed Head .125 deep w/2 valve reliefs; Repl. both L.H. & R.H. pistons; DUROSHIELD® skirt coated piston, 0.8661" Pin Dia.
    Hypereutectic; 1 -1.20mm Groove; 1 -1.50mm Groove; 1 -3.00mm Groove; 1.252 CD; Recessed Head .125 deep w/2 valve reliefs; Repl. both L.H. & R.H. pistons; 0.8661" Pin Dia.[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [TD="class: right"]
    [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD="class: center, colspan: 2"]Choose Size: [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD="colspan: 2"]^ Ships from same location as parts in cart
    + Sold in packs of {x}; Price reflects cost of each individual item, not the pack[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Hybrid booster

that is a standard piston your motor already has, 8.85:1, no 10:1 with those ones.

Garrett booster

well lets try an older year

turbo addict

i thought it was the newer years that had them? sorry id help more but im about to bash my face in with this server im setting up

Garrett booster

these are all the options for the 93 looks like the same part number but all the options
    [TABLE="class: main"] [TR="class: part0"] [TD="class: alternate0"][TABLE="class: parts"] [TR] [TD="class: left"][TABLE="class: layout"] [TR] [TD="class: partlayout"]BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0125304
    Set; Contains Piston Rings [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] (Only 1 Remaining)[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [TD="class: right"]
    [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [TD="class: center leftrightborder boldfont priceonly alternate0"]$30.79[/TD] [/TR] [TR="class: part0"] [TD="class: alternate0 center"]Add Part [/TD] [/TR] [TR="class: part1"] [TD="class: alternate1"][TABLE="class: parts"] [TR] [TD="class: left"][TABLE="class: layout"] [TR] [TD="class: partlayout"]SEALED POWER Part # H694CP
    12 valve engine; Hypereutectic; 1 - 1.20mm Groove, 1 - 1.50mm Groove, 1 - 3.00mm Groove, 1.252 CD, Recessed Head .125 deep w/2 valve reliefs; Repl. both L.H. & R.H. pistons; DUROSHIELD® skirt coated piston, 0.8661" Pin Dia.
    Hypereutectic; 1 -1.20mm Groove; 1 -1.50mm Groove; 1 -3.00mm Groove; 1.252 CD; Recessed Head .125 deep w/2 valve reliefs; Repl. both L.H. & R.H. pistons; 0.8661" Pin Dia.
    Hypereutectic; 1 -1.20mm Groove; 1 -1.50mm Groove; 1 -3.00mm Groove; 1.252 CD; Recessed Head .125 deep w/2 valve reliefs; Repl. both L.H. & R.H. pistons; 0.8661" Pin Dia.; Engine Code 6G72[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [TD="class: right"]
    [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD="class: center, colspan: 2"]Choose Size: [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD="colspan: 2"]^ Ships from same location as parts in cart
    + Sold in packs of {x}; Price reflects cost of each individual item, not the pack[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [TD="class: center leftrightborder boldfont priceonly alternate1"]$34.79[/TD] [/TR] [TR="class: part1"] [TD="class: alternate1 center"]Add Part [/TD] [/TR] [TR="class: part0"] [TD="class: alternate0"][TABLE="class: parts"] [TR] [TD="class: left"][TABLE="class: layout"] [TR] [TD="class: partlayout"]SEALED POWER Part # WH694CP
    12 valve engine; 1 - 1.20mm Groove, 1 - 1.50mm Groove, 1 - 3.00mm Groove, 1.252 CD, Recessed Head .125 deep w/2 valve reliefs; 0.8661" Pin Dia.
    Hypereutectic; 1 -1.20mm Groove; 1 -1.50mm Groove; 1 -3.00mm Groove; 1.252 CD; Recessed Head .125 deep w/2 valve reliefs; Repl. both L.H. & R.H. pistons; 0.8661" Pin Dia.
    Hypereutectic; 1 -1.20mm Groove; 1 -1.50mm Groove; 1 -3.00mm Groove; 1.252 CD; Recessed Head .125 deep w/2 valve reliefs; Repl. both L.H. & R.H. pistons; 0.8661" Pin Dia.; Engine Code 6G72[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [TD="class: right"]
    [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD="class: center, colspan: 2"]Choose Size: [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD="colspan: 2"]^ Ships from same location as parts in cart[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [TD="class: center leftrightborder boldfont priceonly alternate0"]
    [/TD] [/TR] [TR="class: part0"] [TD="class: alternate0 center"]See Options at Left[/TD] [/TR] [TR="class: part1"] [TD="class: alternate1"][TABLE="class: parts"] [TR] [TD="class: left"][TABLE="class: layout"] [TR] [TD="class: partlayout"]DNJ ENGINE COMPONENTS Part # P127
    SET; 1.2x1.5x3.0[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Garrett booster

in 92 this was the only option available
    [TABLE="class: parts"] [TR] [TD="class: left"][TABLE="class: layout"] [TR] [TD="class: partlayout"]DNJ ENGINE COMPONENTS Part # P127
    SET; 1.2x1.5x3.0[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [TD="class: right"]
    [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD="class: center, colspan: 2"]
    [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

and all the way up to 97 when the motor changed to a 3.5 all with the same part number

turbo addict

bare shortblock should be cheaper then buying anything separate. Mitsubishi cars tend to be care for much better then Mopars so the motor often looks 100x cleaner inside and will likely have decent ring seal.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast