Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Log: 1987 GLHS #0103

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Project Log: 1987 GLHS #0103

Well, after SDAC last year marking the 25th Anniversary of the '86 GLHS, we decided that we should try to get my '87 GLHS running for SDAC-22 after nearly 8 years of sitting. We finally started tearing into it this weekend.

First off, make no mistake about it- this car is rough. I mean really rough, as in the previous owner rattle-canned the whole car to cover the faded paint (poorly I might add), and there's seriously not a straight panel on the car except maybe the roof and sail panels. I drove the car almost daily for about a year or so, and during that time it was hit twice. The first time it was lightly sideswiped while parked on the street, and the second time a punk kid in a riced out Honda tried to pass me while I was turning left into my own driveway, which further mangled the LF fender and tore the airdam completely off the car. Not that either fender or the nose were straight anyway . . .

Damage courtesy of a kid who dropped his cigarette

Being hauled to the new shop Spring 2010

Still the car moved very well and was a blast to drive, easily the fastest car I'd ever driven at that time. Unfortunately, the stock 525 transmission could only take so much, and eventually let go. The car has been parked ever since. I actually don't know much about what was done to the car aside from it has an '88 shortblock (possibly long block?), a Mopar Performance Super 60 wiring harness with an unknown SMEC, and a full 3" (albeit crush bent) exhaust with a cat, and actually had Denver emmisions certification. So a fun part of this project will be exploration to see what, if any other goodies this car might have.

Now, I'll try to keep this thread as organized as possible, but knowing my projects, it will probably be bouncing all over the various sections of the car, so I guess try to enjoy the ride.

Here goes nothing . . .

Re: Project Log: 1987 GLHS #0103

Overview

Now I've actually been collecting parts for the car the entire time it was stored. It was missing a few of the Shelby items: the Konis, shift decal, Mobil 1 plaque, and the Valve Cover. My '88 CSXT donated the valve cover, although that's currently on my Charger. Easily swapped. The Konis and Mobil 1 plaque have been recently purchased off other board members, and I need to call Cindy and get that shift decal coming. Beyond that, the leather on the steering wheel is in tatters, and will likely be swapped for a non-leather one for the time being. The car is being done on a budget, and I need to worry about the mechanical items before cosmetic ones- at least ones that cost a bit of money.

Still, I do at least have new fenders and a passenger door to put on, even though they're still in primer.

Interior is presentable, although the embroidery is thrashed, the headliner is tattered, the carpet is worn through on the driver's floor, and the interior sail panels are sun-baked and flaking. Not sure what I'll do about the first and last yet, but I've got a nicer carpet on the shelf, and headliners are pretty easy to re-cover.

Mechanically, the car really needs refreshed. Obviously the transmission will need replaced. The engine, while it ran hard (and amazingly smooth), did have a lot of blowby. Every time it saw boost, the dipstick popped out, and the intercooler and hoses were full of oil. So the engine will need a re-ring at very least, and chances are I'll have the turbo re-built as well. And any car that has sat this long will need the brakes overhauled and the fuel system cleaned out. Ray (86Shelby) donated the fuel tank and Walbro pump from his GLHT to the cause, so a simple swap should take care of that. Also, while the ball joints and tie rods look good, the control arm bushings are pretty beat and will be replaced with poly ones. Same goes for the motor mounts. In fact, my girlfriend Amber got the old front motor mount extracted this afternoon.

Gotta love a girl who's not afraid to get her hands dirty. She also removed and pitched the beat-up rear window louvres. Trust me, it's better this way.

So, we've got to tackle a transmission build, engine overhaul, full brake system, fuel system, refresh the interior, and try to make the body somewhat presentable, and ready to drive to Detroit and back in less than five months. I'll be pulling the engine out tomorrow night, and will keep this thread updated.

Stay tuned . . . .

turbo addict

sounds like the next couple meetings need to be had in your shop so we can gang bang this thing!

Cool! I'm watching your thread. I have an 87 GLHS project going right now too.

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfedmopar View Post
    sounds like the next couple meetings need to be had in your shop so we can gang bang this thing!
    I'm down for that. You certainly work much more efficiently than I do.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    I'm down for that. You certainly work much more efficiently than I do.
    i dont know about that! lol. but i can take stuff apart like no ones business!

Oh you will know. You will.

Well, I got the engine and trans out tonight, and was able to look at a lot of numbers, some of which were unexpected.

First off, the casting date on the block was 4-30-87. Now I always assumed this was an '88 block due to the square tooth, but five bolt crank sprocket. But I would think even the end of April would still be in the '87 model year? Of course an '88 timing set could have just been swapped on at some point. The engine has a Mopar Performance head gasket, so I know it's been opened up at some point. We'll know more when I start tearing it down. Either way, the serial number stamped on the block was nothing close to my VIN, so I know it's not the original block. JG333301 mean anything to anyone?

Now the next one I really didn't expect. I never assumed one way or the other that the car had the original trans, but I figured it was at least the same specs as the original given the abuse that it endured . . .

Build date 11-10-83, and final drive ratio of 305? Now correct me if I'm wrong, but this had to have come out of a carbureted car, right?

Now these numbers I'll need some help on. The turbo has a tag on the back of the compressor that reads

FACTORY OVERHAULED TURBO
    ZGM0036
    409174-9048

And it has the Garret logo. I assume it's just a stock turbo, as the compressor says A/R .42, and it definately has a small hot side with the 2 1/4" swingvalve. Here I had always hoped it got the Super 60 turbo to match the wiring harness. Oh well.

Well there is absolutely nothing special about this engine whatsoever. Everything is bone stock. And the head is starting to crack. Yay.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That trans came out of a carb car for sure. The 3.05FD came in the stripper L body cars from what I've read. Make sure you save the FD as there are some of us who really like the idea of using them.

If the final drive is salvageable, I like the idea of using it. I haven't opened the case to look yet, but something let go big time. That's the reason the car has been parked all these years.

If the final drive is salvageable, I like the idea of using it. I haven't opened the case to look yet, but something let go big time. That's the reason the car has been parked all these years.
    I love the idea of using it too. I hate the idea of paying someone to machine that ring gear though. That's what has me in a holding pattern.

turbo addict

Subscribed!
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Nice to see another 87 being readied for SDAC 22.
    We're getting #659 read for paint right now.
    I've been seeing more 87s showing up lately. Maybe their time has come.

Well not much new to report. Got the short block torn apart, nothing really special. Stock Mahle pistons on LW rods with factory 1987 date coded bearings. Here's the kicker though- Everything about this engine top to bottom screams 1987 TI except the roller cam and the 5-bolt crank sprocket. Also, I forgot the casting number off the crank at the shop so I need to double check, but I swear it had a 5 and an 8 in it, which means it should be a forged crank. Now I can see swapping a cam, that's an hour of work. But why swap to a forged crank without upgrading the rods too, and even re-using the original rod bearings? Of course, even now the rod bearings don't look terrible.

Either way, like I said the engine had a ton of blow by, and the oil and internals still reek of fuel even 8 years later. There's no way this block will run again with being bored, I don't want to use cheap cast pistons, and can't budget some good forged ones. So right now I'm following a lead on a replacement short block that has all the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I love the idea of using it too. I hate the idea of paying someone to machine that ring gear though. That's what has me in a holding pattern.
    Well first thing's first, we'll need to get the other two transmissions opened up and see what we have to work with. I've got another '87 525 on the shelf that worked great when pulled, and an '87 555 that mostly worked well except I couldn't get it into 3rd without adjusting the shifter so far forward that I couldn't use 2nd or 4th. I've also got the remnants of another 525 and 520 that were stripped for any salvageable parts, which if nothing else produced some pretty decent shift pads. The idea is to mix and match guts as needed to come up with one good functional transmission. I'm not dead set either way as far as the 525 case or 555 case. Either way I'm springing for the Moly bearing plate, new clutch, and the shift rod upgrade. If our best option is the 555 case, then I'll have to get new axles and fab/buy the shift linkage brackets. If we use the 525 case, then I'll be getting the differential and case girdles and still one new axle. As for the 3.05 gear, I'll have to weigh the pros and cons. I do know the car was never hurting for shorter gears down low, and had enough top end to allow me to do one of the stupidest things I've ever done.

Of course I'm open to any and all input on this decision (as with all other portions of the car).

Sounds like you're going a similar route to what I'm doing to my GLHS. I'm going to get a TII long block for mine, since the head is also pretty shot.

There is no way I would run a 525 case if I had another alternative. Way too weak around the diff area for my tastes.

turbo addict

you know adam. that engine still has an 89 555 hanging off of it......

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    There is no way I would run a 525 case if I had another alternative. Way too weak around the diff area for my tastes.
    Hence the girdle set. Or can that differential be installed into a 555 case? I honestly don't know much about building a transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfedmopar View Post
    you know adam. that engine still has an 89 555 hanging off of it......
    I'm trying to use stuff or get rid of it, not buy more stuff! I've had all these transmissions in storage for years, and have even moved 3 times with them. I want to finally make use of them. If I can't, then we'll talk.

Hence the girdle set. Or can that differential be installed into a 555 case? I honestly don't know much about building a transmission.

I'm trying to use stuff or get rid of it, not buy more stuff! I've had all these transmissions in storage for years, and have even moved 3 times with them. I want to finally make use of them. If I can't, then we'll talk.
    The girdle will help, but I don't believe it will be as strong as the stock 555/520 cases even with it attached. You can't drop a 525 diff into another trans or vice versa. The way the driver's side diff bearing is placed is completely different.

Don't be afraid to take them apart and rebuild them. I was amazed at how simple manual transmissions really are.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast