Thread: Deutch connectors??

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Deutch connectors??

I have had enough of dealing with crappy connectors, connectors that I cannot get replacement pins for and just general aging starting to show its ugly side. I want to start fresh and use a connector system that will be around for a very long time, be serviceable and offer a flexible variety of connector sizes, all without costing an arm, leg and nut. Basically looking for the utopia of electrical connectivity.

Dig some looking around and came across these: http://www.delcity.net/store/Deutsch...s/p_797538.a_1
    prices are good I think, depending upon size and exact configuration would be up to $10/connector (12 pin, full usage) installed for all the pins, plugs and everything. No special crimper beyond the normal oem type pin crimper (already have one). Only downfall I'm finding is the upper size limit being 14 gauge which isnt a huge issue as most wires in the engine bay are 14 or 16 gauge anyways.

Thoughts. ideas ??? Wasnt there someone here who redid their entire engine bay with these or some other deutch type connector ?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Re: Deutch connectors??

+1 on this, I have a few projects could use new wiring.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    I have had enough of dealing with crappy connectors, connectors that I cannot get replacement pins for and just general aging starting to show its ugly side. I want to start fresh and use a connector system that will be around for a very long time, be serviceable and offer a flexible variety of connector sizes, all without costing an arm, leg and nut. Basically looking for the utopia of electrical connectivity.

Dig some looking around and came across these: http://www.delcity.net/store/Deutsch...s/p_797538.a_1
    prices are good I think, depending upon size and exact configuration would be up to $10/connector (12 pin, full usage) installed for all the pins, plugs and everything. No special crimper beyond the normal oem type pin crimper (already have one). Only downfall I'm finding is the upper size limit being 14 gauge which isnt a huge issue as most wires in the engine bay are 14 or 16 gauge anyways.

Thoughts. ideas ??? Wasnt there someone here who redid their entire engine bay with these or some other deutch type connector ?
    DJ used them in his build. I looked at the price and decided they weren't for me.

If you look on mouser.com you'll find all sorts of good connectors which are not that expensive. I would have to dig though my invoices to see what all I ordered from them, but I have enough to redo everything but the bulkhead connector and PM connectors and I kept the cost under $150 if memory serves me correctly.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Thoughts. ideas ??? Wasn't there someone here who redid their entire engine bay with these or some other deutch type connector ?
    Deutch connectors are good quality connectors with nice terminals and quality seals.

A few other quality pieces/suppliers

BUSSMAN - Fuse/relay panels
    http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont..._ATM_ATC1.html

Mouser - Misc connectors
    http://www.mouser.com/Interconnects/...ors/_/N-1ehb5/

Power Signal - Various automotive specialty connectors
    http://www.powerandsignal.com/Products/ConnectionSystems.aspx
    Last edited by 5DIGITS; 01-29-2012 at 06:27 PM.

turbo addict

I use the delphi packard connectors. I just ordered some 6 pin connectors for a bilge pump project. I got them from waytek, I believe they are the same connector that GM uses on their cars.

turbo addict
    Subscribed, looking at using them on mine
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

I was using the Mouser Molex ones and they worked great, until they didn't. I've noticed they cannot take the temperatures in the engine bay that well and they have become more brittle than the stock units. Granted, replacement terminals and expandability and interchangeability are good, I'm not too impressed with them. I would go with something that cost a little more and can withstand the abuse. And those aren't cheap either. They're actually more expensive than some I've seen and they don't seem to last as long. I think they were marine rated? Shows automotive from the mouser site, but I disagree. In fact, the connector for the fuel injectors was one of the reasons I had an issue tuning my car last year at SDAC. The wire to the injector backed out because the clip to secure INSIDE the connector warped and allowed the pin to back out.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

http://order.waytekwire.com/products...%20Connectors/ You can get them the pins from 22ga to 12 ga only downside is they have minimum order quantities but the connectors are rated for automotive use. They also sell the round multi-pin bulkhead connectors.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I was using the Mouser Molex ones and they worked great, until they didn't. I've noticed they cannot take the temperatures in the engine bay that well and they have become more brittle than the stock units. Granted, replacement terminals and expandability and interchangeability are good, I'm not too impressed with them. I would go with something that cost a little more and can withstand the abuse. And those aren't cheap either. They're actually more expensive than some I've seen and they don't seem to last as long. I think they were marine rated? Shows automotive from the mouser site, but I disagree. In fact, the connector for the fuel injectors was one of the reasons I had an issue tuning my car last year at SDAC. The wire to the injector backed out because the clip to secure INSIDE the connector warped and allowed the pin to back out.
    You had problems with deutch type connectors ? sold by mouser as molex brand ?

I honestly didnt look too hard @ mouser because that website is not very user friendly.... having 50,000 different products is great, but when you cant quickly drill down to what exactly you want and trying to sort through 500 different results when looking for a connector and all the matching pieces... you lost me as a potential customer.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I looked it up and I'm using the Delphi GT series connectors.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Just found this site, might have some helpful stuff.

http://www.repairconnector.com/
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD