Thread: Swirl head timing and megasquirt

turbo addict

Swirl head timing and megasquirt

I found one thread with a timing table for ms using a swirl head. I'm using a 2.5. If anyone with experience is willing to share their information what timing has worked for them that would be great. Doesn't have to have been tuned with MS in fact I think the better tunes are probably based on the factory stuff...especially the driveability part. Really interested in the part throttle timing/tuning as I've found that to be the hardest part of the tune. I'd also like to know what you guys run for total timing under X amount of boost. I realize every combo is different I'm just looking for a general idea of where to start. Thanks!

turbo addict
    I have a stock Garrett on a 2.5 with a swirl head. I run total of 10.5 degrees of timing at wot at 20psi. Now the timing table is a little different. It actually starts up at like 10.5 around 3000 rpm. Then it ramps up around 4500 to 11 then I think at 5500 it's around 13. I know it ramps up something like that though. Part throttle timing I've only touched in vacuum. Idling it runs around 35 degrees total. Around 10-15in of vacuum I'm around 25. That's cruising down the highway around 65. You could download turbonator lm v13 and the mptune software. It has total timing tables in it. Use those tables for your ms.

turbo addict

Re: Swirl head timing and megasquirt

when you say 10.5 degrees you add the base 12 to that correct? Where do I find the turbonator and mptune software? Thank you for the info!

turbo addict

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Open up one of the latest 2.5 cal in MP Tuner 2. There are now 3D calculated tables that put all the timing tables together to show you the total timing in 3D. You can even copy the total timing form the grid view into a spreadsheet (or Megatune, I'm sure). Seems like an easy way to get a decent starting point...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Supercool, thank you!

turbo addict

OK I loaded MP tuner and what I think are the latest files using the post on the first page of the turbonator thread. I opened the T-SBEC_25_MTX_B246_HiTorq.mpt file. when I use the tree on the left and I go through the spark entries some of them display a graph in the middle and what looks to be an x/y display on far right. How do I go about overlaying all of that into a spreadsheet and 3D table?
    Last edited by wallace; 02-09-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: added info

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    OK I loaded MP tuner and what I think are the latest files using the post on the first page of the turbonator thread. I opened the T-SBEC_25_MTX_B246_HiTorq.mpt file. when I use the tree on the left and I go through the spark entries some of them display a graph in the middle and what looks to be an x/y display on far right. How do I go about overlaying all of that into a spreadsheet and 3D table?
    Look for a 'calculated tables' group... There will be 2 3D tables, WOT timing and P/T timing...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

when the calculated table is displayed, highlight all the cells you want in the grid, right click and select copy, open up excel and paste the cells.

it does not copy the headers. i probably should look at adding that somehow.

also, i thought i had it set up to allow copying in all the table grids. apparently not or i broke it somewhere along the line. i'll look at adding that in the next upgrade.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

turbo addict

I found it. thanks again guys really neat I almost wish I hadn't bought a ms now

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    I found it. thanks again guys really neat I almost wish I hadn't bought a ms now
    I've seen MS in action on a few cars now and it's very impressive. Our stuff is almost keeping pace though, and it's free. I don't think you'll be too disappointed in the end.

turbo addict

I tried to use dcal early in my TD career and quickly gave up it was too hard to understand but this new application really makes it look understandable. I've used MSII and it works really well. I'm no tuner and I got respectable results out of it but I did have problems. Every problem was my own fault though and not related to the system itself. Props to these guys for continuing to improve the ease of use.