Thread: 91 GTC turbo heat problems

91 GTC turbo heat problems

My 91 LeBaron can't keep the heat going. It seems like the heater core keeps getting blocked. You can't even blow through it. If you backflush it then the heat is good for a while until the core seems to block again. The radiator was blocked solid and a radiator shop cleaned it out and it flows like new now. The coolant looks like it just got poured out of the container, but the heater core keeps blocking up. Could the problem actually be in the heater control valve? Could it be sticking closed? I looked it up on Rock Auto and they are cheap. They also list a heater core temp sensor. Any idea what this is and what it does? Where is it located? Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Frank

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: 91 GTC turbo heat problems

I would make sure the heater valve is operating properly since its all vacuum operated IIRC and god knows how that stuff acts up.. Or even just remove it and see if the heating issue improves and then decide if you want to replace it should it be the issue, (later cars did not have them so they are not critically necessary for the system to function.)

turbo addict

maybe your block is all clogged up too and just working loose?

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    I would make sure the heater valve is operating properly since its all vacuum operated IIRC and god knows how that stuff acts up.. Or even just remove it and see if the heating issue improves and then decide if you want to replace it should it be the issue, (later cars did not have them so they are not critically necessary for the system to function.)
    I'm going to try that. It's easy enough to do. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    maybe your block is all clogged up too and just working loose?
    I thought about that but the coolant is clean as can be. This is puzzling.

Now I'm completely puzzled. This car has a new waterpump on it but when I took the heater hose off there was nothing coming out of it. I figured the new pump was bad and was gonna change it. I took it off and it looked beautiful. I had an extra gasket laying on the shelf so I put it back on and now the heat works perfectly. Took the heater hose off and the water gushes out of it now. WTH???

turbo addict

install one of these on the inlet heater hose.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/hypro-reg-3-4-in-polypropylene-line-strainer-with-80-mesh-stainless-steel-screen-2114106

g
    et some fittings to hook up the heater lines and empty it every once and a while. You might want to get the 40 mesh instead of the 80 so it catches more crap. Youll be surprised what you find
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.