Thread: transmission rebuild

Garrett booster

transmission rebuild

anyone who can help, it would be greatly appreciated. i got an 85 shelby charger that im pulling the standard transmission out of and swapping an automatic (out of a dodge spirit) with a manual valve body in its place. im am currently leaving the motor stock for now but am wondering if there are any good rebuild kits out there for my application and what choice of gearing would be good. i plan to go maybe 300 hp max and mild drag strip use. it will be mainly daily driver and on a rare occasion when needed, used to blow the doors off some guy in a v8 who thinks hes so good. lol. any feedback would be very helpful

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: transmission rebuild

I'm sure Simon will be along shortly to help you out.

As far as gearing goes, I would stick with the stock transfer gears and FD for those goals. I might even try to run the .91 transfer gears when you're putting out close to 300HP. It may do something for traction, but you will probably be making the HP to turn them without going slower too. The .91 gears are great on the freeway.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I'm sure Simon will be along shortly to help you out.

As far as gearing goes, I would stick with the stock transfer gears and FD for those goals. I might even try to run the .91 transfer gears when you're putting out close to 300HP. It may do something for traction, but you will probably be making the HP to turn them without going slower too. The .91 gears are great on the freeway.

thanks man for the advice. its a start on the long road to getting her done

Be on the lookout for guys in your area who are on here. I think force fed mopar is near you?

Garrett booster

will do. im still new at this whole deal. only my 2nd time being on here. just from reading through the few things i have everybody seems pretty friendly and knowledgable for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by moparguy85 View Post
    will do. im still new at this whole deal. only my 2nd time being on here. just from reading through the few things i have everybody seems pretty friendly and knowledgable for the most part.
    This is the best forum for these cars and the guys on here are the best too.

Check out the Shelby Dodge Automobile Club too.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

If you don't beat on it too much the stock transmission can last awhile. I had to cobble together an automatic transmission (all used parts) for my Dad's '85 T&C wagon and that held up for awhile taking it to the track running 15 lbs of boost and drag radials. If your running a lot of horse power you're going to have to beef up the tranny. Put the stock one in there and start building a beefed up one. By the time you wear out the stock one, your super-duper awesome trans will be ready.

A.J.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Also keep in mind your 1985 might still have a 6 bolt crank and the 6 bolt flexplate has 3 torque convertor mounting holes. Any Spirits would have had an 8 bolt crank with 4 torque convertor mounting holes. I have redrilled 6 bolt flexplates to accept a 4 bolt convertor a few times with no problems. Axle splines are larger in the Spirit trans but 1988-1990 automatic Omni axles work fine.

Thanks
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by moparguy85 View Post
    anyone who can help, it would be greatly appreciated. i got an 85 shelby charger that im pulling the standard transmission out of and swapping an automatic (out of a dodge spirit) with a manual valve body in its place. im am currently leaving the motor stock for now but am wondering if there are any good rebuild kits out there for my application and what choice of gearing would be good. i plan to go maybe 300 hp max and mild drag strip use. it will be mainly daily driver and on a rare occasion when needed, used to blow the doors off some guy in a v8 who thinks hes so good. lol. any feedback would be very helpful

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Garrett booster

I need a trans for my 90 spirit also slips going into 3rd

Garrett booster

thanks for the advice. i will def have to check on the one.