Thread: New turbo-mopar owner

New turbo-mopar owner

Hello everyone. I just bought my very first turbo-mopar a 1986 Dodge 600 SE with 2.2 litre turbo engine and 3-speed automatic.
    The car was very cheap so it has a few problems I wish you could give me some advice. I have owned several mopars before but none of them was turbo.

First issue: When I drive the car transmission won't upshift from 2nd to 3rd gear unless I release the accelerator pedal all the way and vice versa it downshifts from 3rd to 2nd if you press the pedal near half the way. I think this is just an adjustment problem but what to adjust and how. I bet the kickdown cable?

Second issue: The turbo is almost shot. The car has done 162 000 miles and there's a loud noise coming from the bearings. I need to know what type of turbo this is (I heard it's a garret?) and where I can find a rebuild kit or a new turbo?

Thank you.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar
    Wow, you are all the way from Finland?
    I guess I'm the first to say welcome to Turbo-Mopar forums!

I can't help with first issue, but I'm sure someone could. There is also tons of info available here using the search feature. But I know from using it that you get alot of extra results. But you may find someone discussing a similar problem.
    For the new turbo or rebuild kit check out some of the venders. I'm not sure if they all ship internationally but some of them must.
    Good luck with your project! Must be quite a rare car where you are located!

my android sent this for me using Tapatalk...
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

Re: New turbo-mopar owner

I agree check out the kickdown, if you look at your throttle body, you;ll see it has two cables, one goes to the throttle and one to the transmissions kick down. follow that cable to the transmission. you should be able to freely move the kickdown clockwise, it should spring back freely.

Id take a look there as its the most common problem, water gets in between the kick downs shaft and its bushings witch will cause rust and the shaft to freeze.

if you;ve got loud noises coming from your turbo its too late for a rebuild kit as the turbine is no doubt grinding on the housing.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Yeap. These are very rare cars in Finland but also not the most wanted cars. I'll check the kickdown.
    What type of turbo is the original one? Is it garret T3 or what? I can find one from an old Volvo or Saab easily from here.

Ok I figured out the kickdown problem pretty easy after taking battery and airbox out off the way, now it shifts firmly but I noticed there's no first gear! The tranny starts off at 2nd gear. First I didn't even notice this problem because the car doesn't feel strange at all you can keep up in the traffic with new cars.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar
    Sorry i can't help with the transmission issues.
    But yes the stock turbo should be a Garret T3 type. If you are hearing the noises you describe then the bearings are beyond shot, so you may well be having interference with the wheels and housings. If your compressor and turbine housings aren't badly damaged you may be able to get them repaired. Then you should be able to swap them to a donor T3 cartridge if you can find one there on another car. Then you would have the correct bolt pattern if things were different.

Just a thought, I am no expert in that area.

my android sent this for me using Tapatalk...
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Welcome to the site!

Yes, our turbos are T3 based Garrett units. You should be able to pull a garrett turbo right off of a sabb and swap the turbine housings to run it. The Chrysler units have a proprietary bolt pattern for the turbo to bolt to the manifold.

That's great. T3's are very common here. You can almost get paid to pick one up from the junkyard But first I need to fix the transmission problem then I can start cleaning things up. All the vacuum and oil tube are in terrible condition and there are oil leaks everywhere.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Welcome to the forum!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Check to see if the transmission will go into first gear if you select first gear with the shifter. If you have first gear in L but not D on the shifter, you probably have a stuck governor issue in the trans.

I assume things get rusty in Finland. In order to re-use your turbine housing with another turbo's center section, you'll probably want to make liberal use of a torch to heat all the metal around the bolts that hold the turbine housing to the center section. Take your time with this or you will have to drill them out and retap the holes when the bolts break.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

No there's no 1st gear even when I put the shifter to 1 position (There's no L in EU models, only P, R, N, D,2,1).

In fact the turbo seems pretty unrusted it only has a light surface rust.

Do you know a good mopar salvage yard where I could find taillights and power window motor for my car? I know lots of salvage yards for old mopars but they don't have FWD models.