Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dare I say fastest VNT powered 1989 CSX

Hybrid booster

Re: Dare I say fastest VNT powered 1989 CSX

Ok everyone, I did my final mod today. That's right, Shop smart Shop S'Mart!!! Wish me Luck and low et's tomorrow
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAGE_887.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	37101

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turboshelbys View Post
    Ok everyone, I did my final mod today. That's right, Shop smart Shop S'Mart!!! Wish me Luck and low et's tomorrow

Name:	IMAGE_887.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	37101
    http://youtu.be/pFriRcIwqNU

I can't wait to see what my Dad's wagon does with the new tranny with the LSD. It's going to be nice when your CSX and his wagon are closer in times when it comes down to driver skill as oppose to one just being faster than another. I bet your going to pick up a couple of tenths with the automatic.

A.J.

Hybrid booster

Best cult movie of all time!!!

Hybrid booster

13.89 @ 97 best time with a 2.10 60ft. I lost 4-7mph with the auto trans. had real problems launching though, either spin too much or would bog down, not used to launching with an auto. good news is that the car was pulling very strong. bad news is that I think I landed a ring, getting bad blow by after my 5th run. Motor started breaking up really bad my next 5 runs. I will take a look in the a.m. to see what happened. Still ran 14.1's the rest of the night.

Hybrid booster

Name:	Scan2.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	352.9 KB 
ID:	37121
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	37119   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	462.2 KB 
ID:	37120  

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

97mph isn't too bad for how little the car is modified. Very nice work.

Hybrid booster

I only got 10 runs in and half of them the motor was starting to break up. Going to take me a while to get used to the auto trans. was having a really hard time stageing/launching. I seriously have had all about an hr driving it, including the track time. slicks should help.

turbo addict

Yeah slicks should help 60' time but between your tall tire choice and very low tire pressure in them, MPH more than likely may drop further. Sounds like time for better fuel or more of it after fixing motor.

Hybrid booster

You think the 24.5 is too tall? I thought about the 23 by 8.5, but that's the tire everyone told me to go with. these last times were with the same drag radials I have been using, 225 50's. not sure if I lost mph because of the trans of motor outa whack.

turbo addict

You think the 24.5 is too tall? I thought about the 23 by 8.5, but that's the tire everyone told me to go with. these last times were with the same drag radials I have been using, 225 50's. not sure if I lost mph because of the trans of motor outa whack.
    Well IMO, you wouldn't have had ANY problems hooking up a 13 second car on 7.5x23 M&H's. Until you can't hook up, then the deeper gear (because of shorter tires) will almost always prevail at the dragstrip. So to answer your question, yes I think it's too tall of tire for a 200 HP car. Until you find out ring and pinion and transfer gears that are in your tranny, the tire size selection isn't worth discussing.
    A 24.5" tall tire (or taller) is perfect for much higher horsepower cars. At some point they need taller tires because they are fighting running out of gear going through traps. I can't imagine your currently in any danger of running out of gear going thru the lights are u? IMO, you are down MPH (before hurting motor) because of the automatic. -4 MPH is about the norm vs. a stick car. With traction from slicks, it could very possibly dip MPH even further.
    Todd

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Yeah, if there's one thing these 3speeds are good for, it is making (relatively) low-power cars slower.

Ultimately i would think it would make it EASIER to launch, but you may have just been fighting your lack of experience with the setup, rather than the actual car itself. Hopefully once you feel it out you will be able to get it consistent.

Although, hitting boost before converter stall and the modulation issues that might cause, were one of the things brought up when i asked about building a vnt/auto car. You're in almost-uncharted territory with that, so any info/feedback you provide will be new to us all.

For what it's worth, i just ran on 23x7 slicks for the first time and unless i REALLY let out the clutch wrong they were dead hooking off the 5800 rev limiter on my 3.0 car. That said, since i only got a 2.08 best 60, im probably both power and clutch limited right now..

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Well IMO, you wouldn't have had ANY problems hooking up a 13 second car on 7.5x23 M&H's. Until you can't hook up, then the deeper gear (because of shorter tires) will almost always prevail at the dragstrip. So to answer your question, yes I think it's too tall of tire for a 200 HP car. Until you find out ring and pinion and transfer gears that are in your tranny, the tire size selection isn't worth discussing.
    A 24.5" tall tire (or taller) is perfect for much higher horsepower cars. At some point they need taller tires because they are fighting running out of gear going through traps. I can't imagine your currently in any danger of running out of gear going thru the lights are u? IMO, you are down MPH (before hurting motor) because of the automatic. -4 MPH is about the norm vs. a stick car. With traction from slicks, it could very possibly dip MPH even further.
    Todd
    Understood, that makes sense to me now. maybe I will have to order a set of the 23's as well. now should i get the 23 x 8.5 or 23 x 7.5? The csx was never meant to be a high hp car for me, just wanted to see what it can do with some minor work. I did notice with my limited amount of runs yesterday, that it was definitely spinning as much if not more than with the manual trans. If I tried to do a launch with anymore than 7psi the drag radials would just break loose. tire pressure was at 15psi what I always run. I was shifting into 3rd around the 1000ft mark

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Ultimately i would think it would make it EASIER to launch, but you may have just been fighting your lack of experience with the setup, rather than the actual car itself. Hopefully once you feel it out you will be able to get it consistent.

Although, hitting boost before converter stall and the modulation issues that might cause, were one of the things brought up when i asked about building a vnt/auto car. You're in almost-uncharted territory with that, so any info/feedback you provide will be new to us all
    Yes launching seems easier, but I am old school and really like just mashing the pedal However, when I do, spin spin spin. Some of the break might be the comp fighting the stall speed and such. I am keeping track of things and will absolutely share my findings. I am taking this week off from my car, well so i say..

turbo addict

I remember someone on TD bragging how their VNT was sooo bad blah blah and now its funny to see someone posting up real times for their VNT and nobody has one up'd the thread.
    Also funny how people must never have really pushed the issue because they think a laggier turbo will make their dreams come true. Still waiting for Adams weird hybrid VNT setup to roll out.
    I would think big slicks are fine for a quick spooling turbo that should be less boggy (ignoring transmission/converter differences) then anyones t1/tII.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Hybrid booster

Makes me miss the old VNT days.

Good times and nice job!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Yeah it's funny how many people swap to stock Garretts that max out around 260-270whp on a good setup when FWD proved long ago that a 60trim t3 wheel in an otherwise stock VNT turbo (even stock comp housing) can also make 270whp...

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

FWIW, I ran the 22" slicks in my Daytona; with an auto, but with 1.22 transfer gears to give a 3.50 final drive. I spun like crazy on all but the best prepped tracks (only Norwalk comes to mind as a place I didn't spin). I was crossing at ~98mph and 5800rpm. I went to 24.5's this year. It should only drop my crossing RPM to 5300 or so. And, hopefully, gives better traction off the line. We'll see how that goes. Still wayyy to cold up here for the tracks to open...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    Makes me miss the old VNT days.

Good times and nice job!
    Thanks.

Going to do a comp. check and see who/where the culprit is. Its too bad, was feeling really good after the first couple of runs. car was pulling hard, I was getting used to launching and my times were getting better. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    FWIW, I ran the 22" slicks in my Daytona; with an auto, but with 1.22 transfer gears to give a 3.50 final drive. I spun like crazy on all but the best prepped tracks (only Norwalk comes to mind as a place I didn't spin). I was crossing at ~98mph and 5800rpm. I went to 24.5's this year. It should only drop my crossing RPM to 5300 or so. And, hopefully, gives better traction off the line. We'll see how that goes. Still wayyy to cold up here for the tracks to open...
    I am going to AJ's this week so we can figure out what gears I have and what my line pressure is at. Something was happening in first gear, almost felt like a clutch slipping, but it might have been the motor acting funny.

Have you tried milan dragway? I used to get good times up there.

Hybrid booster

Milan is a nice track and they're pretty good about applying VHT on a regular basis. That seemed to make for good ETs.
    That brings in the crowds and typically makes for less runs, for any given day.
    Eaton days were probably the best Milan days when the track was closed for Ford, GM, and Chrysler employees and we would tear it up for 9 hours straight.

On the other end of the spectrum is Lapeer Dragway.
    For a long time it had a very short concrete launch pad which came with a small step between the concrete and the blacktop.
    They have since replaced and lengthened the concrete which was a huge improvement but Milan is still better for ETs.
    Sundays at Lapeer meant 15-20 runs with no problem - Great for tuning and run to run comparisons.

Good times at both !!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    Milan is a nice track and they're pretty good about applying VHT on a regular basis. That seemed to make for good ETs.
    That brings in the crowds and typically makes for less runs, for any given day.
    Eaton days were probably the best Milan days when the track was closed for Ford, GM, and Chrysler employees and we would tear it up for 9 hours straight.

On the other end of the spectrum is Lapeer Dragway.
    For a long time it had a very short concrete launch pad which came with a small step between the concrete and the blacktop.
    They have since replaced and lengthened the concrete which was a huge improvement but Milan is still better for ETs.
    Sundays at Lapeer meant 15-20 runs with no problem - Great for tuning and run to run comparisons.

Good times at both !!
    Lapeer makes me angry everytime I am hunting I am up in a tree waiting for bambi, then I hear the roar of engines, blazing down the track and think what the hell am I doing up here when I could be racing Of course, venison on the plate always makes up for that!

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

I'm there all the time. Milan is OK for big events or their weekly brackets, but they kind of half---- it on TnT or King-of-the-street nights. I'm trying to get the car a little less dependent on the track.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast