Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dare I say fastest VNT powered 1989 CSX

Hybrid booster

Re: Dare I say fastest VNT powered 1989 CSX

I will share something funny. When I first got this car and started doing research on mods, times, etc. I almost did not do anything with it at all. I figured "whats the point" nobody has messed with them all that much and the best time I saw was 15.1. With that being said, I thought to myself, why not try to do something with it, maybe there is more gains to be had then what people are telling me. Well, I listened to myself and here is where I am at so far. Now I wonder how many people have done the same thing, did a little research, but gave up after that.

I know I am not re-writing turbo dodge lore here, I am just sharing some knowledge of how a few simple add ons make a huge difference over stock. I have basically cut almost a second off of my best stock run. Personally, I think that is something special.

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    Everyone else I know with 14-15 psi and basic mods all ran mid 14s as well....
    But whatever everyone else did can't take away that you ran 13's with your car. I'm just wondering at what boost? Because 16-17psi.... then that makes sense to me anyways.
    This is well put by Steve, first hand knowledge or what other peoples vnt's have done.

I have used two different boost gauges and its max boost is 14-15psi on both.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    Nice Job!!
    13.88 at 98.19mph is right on target for a 'fairly' stock 5spd VNT Shadow at 14psi.

Again, nicely done.
    Are there two compliments in my post?
    It was also gently introduced that this had been done before which validated what you had accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by turboshelbys View Post
    Possibly, but I am positive that people would have posted their times by now. I cannot be the only csx-vnt owner who has done a couple of mods then went to the track. I will never get the comment that "equivalently" modded cars all run the same. If that were true nascar would not be around and we would not have a hobby with these cars. Show me one 1989 csx-vnt that has run a 13.67 or even any 13 second run and I will stop taking offense to comments. People keep saying to me that what I am doing is nothing special, well then why hasn't anyone else done it?
    As I gently indicated above, this has been done before.
    In my case, it was the slightly heavier 1990 VNT in full trim and ice cold A/C.
    The car had Mobil1 oil, a K&N in the stock air box, a 14psi controller, no cat, sticky tires, and a 1991 2.5 T-I muffler - it consistently went mid 13's at 99.3mph.
    In the case of a second VNT Shadow, the same minor mod's were used and it was also a mid 13 second car at 99.8mph.
    Mentioned earlier, I did not stretch the 'almost stock' statement as far but a stock appearing VNT can and have repeatedly done mid 13's.

If you want to give a compliment, then give it, don't slide in and say everyone else could do that too, especially when it has not been done before!
    You may want to re-read my first post.

Regardless, nice job - Enjoy!!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I think he's just very gently trying to tell you that when you dare say fastest, you aren't far enough ahead to claim that. If you say 'fastest vnt car with timeslips that can still be found in 2012' i think you are a shoe-in.

I might have the fastest dodge dynasty in the world. But whenever i say that to my friends, it is always as a joke. Murphy's Law and the Bigger Fish law would conspire to ruin me if i tried to take any pride in it.

On the bright side, if you can get 103mph on a real run you should be able to do LOW 13s (maybe high 12s) and i havent heard anyone say they've seen LOW 13s.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

I looked at some of my previous posts and see how things have got confusing. Please read this message below. It should set things staight.

"In my case, it was the slightly heavier 1990 VNT in full trim and ice cold A/C.
    The car had Mobil1 oil, a K&N in the stock air box, a 14psi controller, no cat, sticky tires, and a 1991 2.5 T-I muffler - it consistently went mid 13's at 99.3mph."

From what i understand the 1990 shadow was actually lighter then the 1989, but it is very negligable.

I am not sure if you have read my full post, All of my posted(13sec) times are when the car had the following done:
    cone air filter
    larger i/c
    perf.comp
    drag radials.
    This was also a full weight car with the a/c hooked up, the i/c piping running under the frame, stock cat still on. This netted me a best of 13.88, with traction being a real problem. I did run a couple of 103-104mph runs starting in second gear. times where in the 14.2's though. I am also racing with almost a full tank of gas because my sending unit is on the fritz, so I keep the car topped off.

If you have time, please read the write up, it will clear things up on my 1/4 times and what mods were done at what time. you can also see how shot the stock parts were.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3921943/1989-shelby-csx

Now, my four Best times came with the cat removed and my turbo failing and failed. These were:

In the future I will not use the phrase "close to stock". This seems to be a matter of opinion, so no more from me.

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Vigo, exactly my point. I basically posted this to get people to respond. I was getting no where finding slips, stories, etc.

Now, Just to be technical. The other times I am hearing are from 1990 vnt shadows and daytona's not 1989 csx's.

I also have made some 103, 104, even one at 105.1, but these were all starting in second gear and netted me low 14's

I dont think my brain can ever cope with how that works but if you can get those mphs starting in 1st gear you will see a major ET boost.

I think you're doing a great job riling up the lazy VNT crowd...

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I dont think my brain can ever cope with how that works but if you can get those mphs starting in 1st gear you will see a major ET boost.

I think you're doing a great job riling up the lazy VNT crowd...
    Me either, I was shocked when I looked at the slips.

I'll bet you though, the minute I post a low 13, if I get there, there will be a slew of people chiming in that someone elses brothers sisters motherinlaws friend did it already

Hybrid booster

I think he's just very gently trying to tell you that when you dare say fastest, you aren't far enough ahead to claim that. If you say 'fastest vnt car with timeslips that can still be found in 2012' i think you are a shoe-in. .... if you can get 103mph on a real run you should be able to do LOW 13s (maybe high 12s) and i havent heard anyone say they've seen LOW 13s.
    Well said and very true.
    This is also a reminder of my age - the times I referred to were accomplished in 1992.
    Low 13's would have been nice but I was very pleased with its consistent ET and MPH.

From what i understand the 1990 shadow was actually lighter then the 1989, but it is very negligable.
    I don't believe this is the case but probably within a 100-150lbs of a sun-roofed, power-accessory, and air bag equipped ES.

This was also a full weight car with the a/c hooked up, the i/c piping running under the frame, stock cat still on. This netted me a best of 13.88, with traction being a real problem. I did run a couple of 103-104mph runs starting in second gear. times where in the 14.2's though. I am also racing with almost a full tank of gas because my sending unit is on the fritz, so I keep the car topped off.
    I also have made some 103, 104, even one at 105.1, but these were all starting in second gear and netted me low 14's
    Again, a stock appearing or lightly modified VNT Shadow can and have repeatedly accomplished mid 13's.
    In my particular case it was a K&N filter, 2.5L muffler, controller and Mobil1. Retaining it's stock appearance and minimal changes was part of the fun.
    Humorously, the car received it's normal maintenance check-ups at the dealership without gaining attention or raising questions.

I basically posted this to get people to respond. I was getting no where finding slips, stories, etc.
    This was successfully accomplished and the responses support your results and that they are on par with what others have achieved.

Keep up the good work - Nicely done.

Hybrid booster

I'll bet you though, the minute I post a low 13, if I get there, there will be a slew of people chiming in that someone elses brothers sisters motherinlaws friend did it already
    A low 13 VNT would be a snappy and enjoyable driver.

Keep up the effort - a TBI cam 2 degrees retarded should help you get even closer to your goal.

Enjoy!!

Hybrid booster

I do have performance and tbi cams sitting on the shelf, but I am not opening the motor up untill its time for the rebuild this summer. When I do the rebuild, it will be getting a slew of upgrades I just wanted to see what was possible with some basic bolt ons.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I do have performance and tbi cams sitting on the shelf, but I am not opening the motor up untill its time for the rebuild this summer. When I do the rebuild, it will be getting a slew of upgrades I just wanted to see what was possible with some basic bolt ons.
    A cam is a basic bolt on for these things. Nice and easy swap. Not really opening up the motor at all. Of course, if you're going to go through it anyway I can totally see waiting.

Hahaha. I totally give you credit for having proof right here, right now of what you're claiming though and at the end of the day no one else has brought slips/vids to this thread. Regardless of words or tone EVERYONE here wants to see you keep succeeding and convince more people that vnt's are capable of 13s on the stock turbo with basic mods!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    A cam is a basic bolt on for these things. Nice and easy swap. Not really opening up the motor at all. Of course, if you're going to go through it anyway I can totally see waiting.
    Trust me I know, been working on td's for 20yrs. I just hate sealing valve covers.

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Hahaha. I totally give you credit for having proof right here, right now of what you're claiming though and at the end of the day no one else has brought slips/vids to this thread. Regardless of words or tone EVERYONE here wants to see you keep succeeding and convince more people that vnt's are capable of 13s on the stock turbo with basic mods!
    I believe our guys, just dont like the "tone" as you put it. I should be hitting the track this Sat, wish me luck and low et's

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Wouldn't it be great if all the timeslips were documented on the T-M times page?

Link in my sig

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

Done

I can vouch for this car and it's time slips. I was pretty close to the action every time it ran except for the night when the original turbo let go. We did provide him with a new one though.

Keep up the good work Stefan

Chris-TU
    Last edited by Chris W; 01-24-2012 at 06:24 PM.
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Well..... (actually, being serious now) Soupcan ran mid 8's in the 1/8th mile in a VNT *DAYTONA* about 6-8 years ago. I will say, that he told me the car was stripped and the turbo was maxed out.... I think it was around 8.3 to 8.6....
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    Well..... (actually, being serious now) Soupcan ran mid 8's in the 1/8th mile in a VNT *DAYTONA* about 6-8 years ago. I will say, that he told me the car was stripped and the turbo was maxed out.... I think it was around 8.3 to 8.6....
    my best 1/8 times vary between 8.4-8.8

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Again, I am really wondering about the 1989 CSX-VNT's, but do like seeing the times for other vnt's.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Done
    Added. You are now officially our fastest 89 CSX VNT (that is still VNT) on our times page

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

Thanks

Hybrid booster

Slapped on a set of air shocks today and a new vacuum block, that should be enough to get me into the 12's

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast