Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dare I say fastest VNT powered 1989 CSX

Hybrid booster

Dare I say fastest VNT powered 1989 CSX

13.67 @ 100.76 with a 2.059 60ft. I trying to locate the video.

For now here is a 13.88 pass.
    Cone air filter, larger I/C, no cat, fwd stage2 comp, drag radials and ground effects removed(fixing them).

Finally got the new vnt turbo installed and decided to mate the engine with my Relentless performance A413. Took the car out around the block and it feels friggen great. I had the trans built eons ago and never installed it. I really love driving a standard, but figured what the heck while i have everything out, why not try it. I should be hitting the track next weekend, will post the results.

fwd stage 2 comp
    cone air filter
    larger intercooler
    stock downpipe, no cat
    Brand Spanking new VNT 25
    Last edited by turboshelbys; 01-25-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 30 PSI SHADOW's Avatar

Re: Dare I say fastest VNT powered 1989 CSX

cut a 1.8 and your knockin on 12s
    Bill Baker
    NESDAC Pres.
    Rutland,Vermont
    90 Shadow VNT comp 332WHP/390WTQ
    12.26@116MPH-27psi (SOLD)
    89 CSX #269 59k
    83 Rampage T3 11.78@118MPH- 22psi

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

That's impressive. I should search but too tired, how much bigger is the turbo?

Bill, he has to drop .7 sec, I don't think dropping .2 in his 60 foots will next him that much, would be cool though,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post

Bill, he has to drop .7 sec, I don't think dropping .2 in his 60 foots will next him that much, would be cool though,
    A 2 tenth drop to 1.859 would get him about 4 tenths in the quarter. I have always experienced each tenth improvement in 60 foot equates to 2 tenths in quarter mile. So that would be approx. 13.27. That's getting close to knockin on the door but not quite there yet. IIRC, Jessie Buhr's 90 VNT Shadow ran in 13's like ten years ago on street tires. That was almost dead stock but with exhaust upgrade. Had to be a bit lighter car than the 89 CSX.
    Todd

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Nice!

Need to add these to our Times page! Link in my sig!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

turbo is a completely stock vnt-25 that came on these cars.

Ordered M&H slicks(25.5 8.5 15) hopefully they will be here when we head to the track next Sat, Jan the 28th.

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    A 2 tenth drop to 1.859 would get him about 4 tenths in the quarter. I have always experienced each tenth improvement in 60 foot equates to 2 tenths in quarter mile. So that would be approx. 13.27. That's getting close to knockin on the door but not quite there yet. IIRC, Jessie Buhr's 90 VNT Shadow ran in 13's like ten years ago on street tires. That was almost dead stock but with exhaust upgrade. Had to be a bit lighter car than the 89 CSX.
    Todd
    Does anyone know for sure what he ran? I have been searching but cant find any real numbers on the 1989 csx-vnt.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turboshelbys View Post
    turbo is a completely stock vnt-25 that came on these cars.

Ordered M&H slicks(25.5 8.5 15) hopefully they will be here when we head to the track next Sat, Jan the 28th.

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Does anyone know for sure what he ran? I have been searching but cant find any real numbers on the 1989 csx-vnt.
    I ran against him many times in my wifes 89 winter beater 2.2 intercooled Shadow. I didn't pay real close attention to what times he was running, but was surprised how well it did run. Wife's car was running very consistant 13.5's and he wasn't very far behind. He's not into these cars anymore. He now runs a LS1 SBC Camaro now. The dark side lured him in (lol)!
    Todd

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

IMO, that is an awfully big slick for your HP. The M&H 23x7.5" can easily get a car into the 11's with room to spare. I'll be curious what your MPH will be switching to auto and that tall of tire.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    I ran against him many times in my wifes 89 winter beater 2.2 intercooled Shadow. I didn't pay real close attention to what times he was running, but was surprised how well it did run. Wife's car was running very consistant 13.5's and he wasn't very far behind. He's not into these cars anymore. He now runs a LS1 SBC Camaro now. The dark side lured him in (lol)!
    Todd

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

IMO, that is an awfully big slick for your HP. The M&H 23x7.5" can easily get a car into the 11's with room to spare. I'll be curious what your MPH will be switching to auto and that tall of tire.
    Todd
    OOPs, 24.5 thats what was suggested to me. I just ran around the block a couple of times witht the drag radials and the car is still blowing them off the rims all the way through first gear with the auto trans and lsd. I am sure that I will not be able to air down the slicks that much. I definatly need to keep wheel speed up, but the car still feels really strong with the a413 in it.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

What's the gear ratio on the trans? If the converter is tight, you'll barely shift out of 2nd and use 3rd for a few secs or if the gearing is tall.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

What's the gear ratio on the trans? If the converter is tight, you'll barely shift out of 2nd and use 3rd for a few secs or if the gearing is tall.
    Lets hope it has 3.05 with 1.06 transfer gearset. What size wheel are you gonna run with those 8.5" wide slicks? Probably not many auto VNT's out there running around. Your about the first person I've heard of running one for being different and not part of the herd. It will be interesting to hear how it runs at the track.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

I seriously have no idea what the gearset is. I have to get a hold of Gary and see if he remembers. I know it was a race only trans and trq conv.

From what I have been told the slicks will fit any rim with 6.5 or bigger.

Hybrid booster

Its the first vnt a413 that I have heard of too. I figured what the heck, cant hurt.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Clocktowersniper claims to have driven one. I asked around on this a while back since i am doing a vnt/auto setup for my limo-thing.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ght=vnt%2Fauto

Im definitely interested to hear your impressions. Roughly what rpm does the converter stall at?

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

I seriously have made 2 laps aroung the block and one burn out in my couldesac. going to do some driving this week and then hit the track for test n tune this sat. I will definatly post the results.

Hybrid booster

i did notice the car bogged down a couple of times so i have to recheck the vacuum lines, trans line pressure, and all connections. but all in all it pulled very strong when it was running right. it smoked the drag radials equally for about a 60 feet.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Wow, congrats on the time. Post some pics!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I seriously have no idea what the gearset is. I have to get a hold of Gary and see if he remembers. I know it was a race only trans and trq conv.
    It's easy enough to check. Just have to pop the side and rear cover to check.

On a side note, how does one figure out the final drive ratio? I understand how to get gear ratio with the pinion and ring gear but when dealing with the transfer gears, that throws me off. For example, I'm building a new trans for my Dad. The pinion has 21 teeth and the ring gear has 60 so that's 2:85. I thought I had written down the transfer gears but I can't find it. I want to say they were 56 and 54 teeth. How do I calculate that? Then I'll be able to help Mr. close to stock VNT LSD a413 blah blah blah figure out his gear ratio. ;-)

A.J.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    It's easy enough to check. Just have to pop the side and rear cover to check.

On a side note, how does one figure out the final drive ratio? I understand how to get gear ratio with the pinion and ring gear but when dealing with the transfer gears, that throws me off. For example, I'm building a new trans for my Dad. The pinion has 21 teeth and the ring gear has 60 so that's 2:85. I thought I had written down the transfer gears but I can't find it. I want to say they were 56 and 54 teeth. How do I calculate that? Then I'll be able to help Mr. close to stock VNT LSD a413 blah blah blah figure out his gear ratio. ;-)

A.J.
    You multiply the tx gear ratio by the FD ratio to get the overall ratio that you would multiply the individual gear ratio by like with a 5 speed. I think the 56 and 54 tooth set is 1.04. That's what came in most of our cars. The stripper 2.2s and L body cars received the .91 set. You could get the 1.22s by getting them out of the VW equipped car or the DC set which you wouldn't need to shim.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

So ring 60/pinion 21=2:85. Transfer gears 56/54=1:04. 2:85/1:04=2:74. If I got the .91 gears it would give me a ratio of 3:13 which would be better for drag racing but not for fuel economy. Got it. Now that I can do the math it makes more sense. Thanks.

A.J.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    So ring 60/pinion 21=2:85. Transfer gears 56/54=1:04. 2:85/1:04=2:74. If I got the .91 gears it would give me a ratio of 3:13 which would be better for drag racing but not for fuel economy. Got it. Now that I can do the math it makes more sense. Thanks.

A.J.
    I believe you need to be multiplying the ratios. The .91 gears will get you better gas mileage. while the 1.04 gears will be better for drag racing in all but higher HP applications.

With the .91 gears the drive gear turns the driven gear a little more than once per revolution. That lowers your cruising rpms quite a bit.

Here's a thread about the .91 transfer gears I think there may be a little bit of math in it. If not I can make an auto trans calculator like the one I made for the 5 speeds.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...transfer+gears

Please note that there are no .96 gears out there. That's a mathematical error that a guy made and posted up elsewhere on the net. It's been copied and pasted in many places, but is bogus info. He divided incorrectly and got .96 rather than 1.04 which is the stock gear ratio for our cars. The neons have a different tooth count, but the same tx gear ratio when rounded.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast