My '89 2.5 Turbo 523 5 speed Spirit broke a shifter cable today. right at the base of the threads at the shifter end of the cable. The front / back one that moves the gearbox from 1 to 2, 3 to 4, and 5 to R. The cable on the right side of the shifter inside the car. Not the crossover cable that moves between the 1-2, 3-4, and 5-R ranges.

I remember reading that Neon cables will fit, at least on the 1-2 cable like I need.

Is there any difference in these cables between the 1st and 2nd Gen Neons? Do I need the mounting bracket off the transmission to swap it in? I found a 2004 Neon that was already halfway torn apart and with the top end of the motor off, so naturally I went after the cable in that one. I got it all taken loose except for that damn big rubber grommet in the floorpan, I have to cut it enough to get the cable out. There's a metal plate holding that rubber grommet thing down, and naturally there's 3 bolts holding that plate from the top and one from under the car! I'll bend / break that plate out before I go crawling under the car for one bolt!

For now, I'm still driving the car, with a pair of Vise-Grips clamped onto the cable end. It makes for some awkward shifts, but it works!