Thread: part number for vss?

Garrett booster

part number for vss?

Hi. I'm doing a digidash conversion and I think I need a vss to send the signal to the speedometer. Where do I buy it and what is the part number? I have a t1 and an a520 if it makes a difference.

Thanks

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: part number for vss?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...r=68813_0_2281_

or you can look up for anything up until 92 iirc, thats the year they switched to the 3 wire vss which is as I understand it is not compatable with the older electronics and best avoided.

Garrett booster

oh ok, i thought maybe i needed a factory one. is this one as accurate and reliable?

thanks

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

I replaced the original on my car 2.5 years ago with one from pepboys after the original one started acting up, hasnt skipped a beat since. For accuracy make sure the little plastic gear is properly matched to your tire size.

Garrett booster

ok is this what i need? http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Sensor---Vehicle-Speed-BWD_3460479-P_1179_R|GRPSENSAMS_____ . i went to autozone today armed with my smartphone ready to show them exactly what i needed. but the website is down.

thanks

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rampage View Post
    Hi. I'm doing a digidash conversion and I think I need a vss to send the signal to the speedometer. Where do I buy it and what is the part number? I have a t1 and an a520 if it makes a difference.

Thanks
    Where did you get the idea you needed this?

First off, on our cars, it is the ecu (engine computer) that sends the signal to the speedo for both the digital dash and those with electric analog speedometers.

Second, most likely there is already one on your car. It is used by the ecu for many things, some of which affect how the engine runs. If you disconnect it from the ecu and wire it directly to a speedometer, you may solve that issue, but you may cause a number of problems in how the car runs (and it will disable cruise control also).

If you are upgrading one of our cars from an analog to digital dash, then you will need the engine controller from a car the same year as the digital dash. Of course the ecu also needs to match your engine, i.e. don't use a V6 controller on a turbo car just because the V6 controller came from a car with a digital dash.

Hope this helps.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Hybrid booster

W/o speedometer cable: standard pn sc106 , t series sc105t
    W/ speedometer cable: standard pn sc5

Garrett booster

thanks for the replies. this is on a rampage converted to T1 and 5 speed . sdac guy, my speedometer had a cable in the back, no other wires going to it. i made a post about the conversion and was told i needed to swap the vehicle speed sensor. the suggestion came from a member who has done the conversion so i hope everything comes out ok . wish me luck

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rampage View Post
    thanks for the replies. this is on a rampage converted to T1 and 5 speed . sdac guy, my speedometer had a cable in the back, no other wires going to it. i made a post about the conversion and was told i needed to swap the vehicle speed sensor. the suggestion came from a member who has done the conversion so i hope everything comes out ok . wish me luck
    While the info the other guy gave you was correct, it was only partially correct. There were two types of analog speedos used, one used a speedometer cable that went to the speed sensor, and the other was motor driven and got its signal from the ecu. The digital dash also got its input from the ecu.

There were two types of speed sensors. One had both the speedometer cable and wires coming out of it. The cable went to the speedo and the wires went to the ecu.

The other sensor had only wires and was used on the models that didn't need a manual speedometer cable (both analog electric and digital), and of course the wires went to the ecu.

So the advice to get a speed sensor with out a speedometer cable was correct, but it was an incomplete answer.

While I haven't done such a conversion, I know folks that have. And I am pretty sure you will need a digital dash cluster and the under dash wiring harness from a donor car. Then you will need the proper ecu to control everything (dash and engine).

Note that you probably want nothing newer than 1989 as the electronics started to change in how things were controlled starting in 1990 with a body computer controlling many dash functions along with the ecu.

Best of luck!!

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Garrett booster

ok did some research. only 90 and up cars need a BCM for a digital cluster (i know i don't need one, just thought i'd post that). and i think i can tap into the wires coming out of my logic module to send the signal to the cluster. tried it today for the tach signal and it worked. tomorrow i will try the speedometer signal and check engine light. that should be everything i need electrical wise. thanks everyone for your help.

Garrett booster

update, just tapped into the wires coming out of the logic module...think its a white wire with orange stripe. digital speedometer works! no need for the other VSS. thanks for the replies