Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I took my Dakota to the track

turbo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MILKCARTON View Post
    I wanna run mine this year, 99 R/T 5.9 all stock except for big and little BogartsAttachment 36797
    That's a good looking Dakota.

boostaholic

Re: I took my Dakota to the track

Quote Originally Posted by roachjuice View Post
    That's a good looking Dakota.

Thanx, I have alot of parts for it, fresh set of heads, new m1 intake, polished mopar magnum valve covers, and almost everything to do a rear mount turbo kit on it, that was my plan, I have a t67 t3 garret with both .63 and .82 hot sides for it. everything is for sale :-)

It was fun to hear your buddies giving Rick a hard time about stalling the Mustang haha
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

So AJ, how does this compare to your expectations or guesses?

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I honestly thought I was going to do worse than 15.2. Street tires at the track suck balls. With the '98 Dakota R/T getting 15.4 I thought I'd be in the 16's. My consistency at the track sucks. My Dad's is awesome, he's usually within .1 to .2 seconds (usually .1) with his times and I'm all over the board. For example, that night my times in order were: 15.72, 15.76, 15.27, 15.94, 16.60, 15.63, 15.55, 15.78, 15.43, 15.39. I gave up on trying to beat 15.2 and decided to just watch everyone else. I'm glad I did because I would have missed Rick stalling on the line which made the night. We have such an awesome time at the track.

A.J.

Sounds awesome. I just ran slicks for the first time and i dont know if i can ever make myself do without again.. (fwd, anyway..).

The crappy thing about slicks on the dakota though is that since it uses such an oddball pattern you'd either have to have a dedicated set or mount/dismount every time you wanted to use them. Almost all of my other cars (including the 87 dakota) are either 5x100/5x114.3 which can be served by 1 set of dual bolt pattern wheels.

Anyway, thanks for the further motivation for my swap! I will start to pull the 3.9 tomorrow.

Since my Dakota is my shop/race track support truck I'm not going to run it again unless I get a LSD rear end for it. I just wanted to know what it would do so there is no way I'm going to buy slicks for it.

I run drag radials at the track (loaners from a friend) so I know what you mean about never going back. Slicks are on the way. My Dad and I are going halves on a set to use between my van and his wagon.

A customer of mine has a '94 Dakota just like mine but a stock 5.2. What a POS (performance wise) compared to mine with all my mods. 5.9 is the only way to go.

A.J.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Since my Dakota is my shop/race track support truck I'm not going to run it again unless I get a LSD rear end for it. I just wanted to know what it would do so there is no way I'm going to buy slicks for it.

I run drag radials at the track (loaners from a friend) so I know what you mean about never going back. Slicks are on the way. My Dad and I are going halves on a set to use between my van and his wagon.

A customer of mine has a '94 Dakota just like mine but a stock 5.2. What a POS (performance wise) compared to mine with all my mods. 5.9 is the only way to go.

A.J.
    That is sorta like the 2.2 vs 2.5 debate.

I really liked my 5.2, and wither its a 5.2 or 5.9 they both will handle the same amount of power. 5.2's are alot happier with boost and RPM especially in a light striper 2nd gen.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post

I really liked my 5.2, and wither its a 5.2 or 5.9 they both will handle the same amount of power. 5.2's are alot happier with boost and RPM especially in a light striper 2nd gen.
    I would think the overall power potential on the 360 would be greater due to the increased bore and stroke. Niether of them are known as high revving engines, but I can see the shorter stroke being an advantage in that aspect.

boostaholic

I have seen junkyard 360's, non magnums run high tens in 3600 pounds cars at 6000' alt. with 10 psi from a tiny p600b procharger

For mine, i figure if not boosting (at least yet), why not get as much torque as you can? I know what a stock 96 5.2 truck runs like and it's borderline not worth the swap, while 5.9 borderline is. Considering they're the same basic price and exactly the same difficulty to swap, why not go 360?

If the original 3.9 was still in perfect condition, neither swap would be worth it compared to a turbo, but it's flat wore out.. so a lot of little things add up to 360 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post

My customer's truck is stock with the crappy small exhaust manifolds, exhaust, and the fan clutch. I'm sure if he had the same mods as me it would be more comparable. Since it's a shop truck that's gonna tow and I had to replace the engine anyways, I wanted more "bolt-in" power. If I didn't have to replace the engine, I'm sure I'd be just as happy with the 318.

A.J.

I need to get exhaust manifolds since my swap donor didnt have them.. and you've got me considering spending the extra effort to find the 92 manifolds. 92 only or 92-93?

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I need to get exhaust manifolds since my swap donor didnt have them.. and you've got me considering spending the extra effort to find the 92 manifolds. 92 only or 92-93?
    '92'-93 manifolds AND Y-pipe. You can't use the '94+ Y-pipe because the '92-'93 manifolds are bigger. Check out: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...-for-my-Dakota for some details.

A.J.

turbo addict

92-93 also got the larger exhaust. Y-pipe is 1" bigger than 94+ trucks. Exhaust is 3" vs 2.5". Computers also have a little more built in timing. Later trucks where supposed to have more truck like power. (Lower power band, less power) Makes no sense to me.

Well i have to use an obd2 computer one way or another for my 96. Im hoping to get a 96 or 97 computer if i can find one at the jyards. Considering flashing it to the MP cal if possible..havent looked into that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Sounds awesome. I just ran slicks for the first time and i dont know if i can ever make myself do without again.. (fwd, anyway..).

The crappy thing about slicks on the dakota though is that since it uses such an oddball pattern you'd either have to have a dedicated set or mount/dismount every time you wanted to use them. Almost all of my other cars (including the 87 dakota) are either 5x100/5x114.3 which can be served by 1 set of dual bolt pattern wheels.

Anyway, thanks for the further motivation for my swap! I will start to pull the 3.9 tomorrow.
    swap the rear axle for an early one and all you have to do to the front is swap rotors (first gen only)

But im trying to set a record for most miles without checking the diff fluid! Currently 245k.

But seriously.. i could do that. I guess i should figure out what ratios were common in the 1st gens.. Im assuming 4 cyl ones have something that's about right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12