Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rotor and pad options

turbo addict

rotor and pad options

hey guys, im thinking about buying nicer rotors for my 93 duster. MY new autocrap ones seem to crack way to early. my new one already has a crank on it. I try to brake carefully when doing high speed pulls. I wont do a pull unless i know i can decell without using the breaks but sometimes i have to ride the brakes. I try not to brake boost either but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do when your up against a v8 that dosnt need to spool up to make power

i saw some drilled rotors on fwd's site and was thinking about those but im not looking for better stopping power, i just want something that will take a little bit of punishment and last. I dont want a caliper upgrade or anything like that.. just a decent rotor and pad combo that will break nicely and last. Auto zone just wont cut it for this

thanks for any help

turbo addict

Re: rotor and pad options

I've never had a problem with AutoZone rotors. I did buy a set of Baer drilled and slotted rotors and they cracked where the rotor was drilled.

I think NAPA is supposed to have a nice thick rotor.

As far as pads, Porterfield will either have what you want or will put their material on your pad backing plate. Good stuff.

turbo addict

hmm.. okay

i was looking at the 11inch rotor options available. it seems like its just a bolt in option? or do i need the bigger calipers? id be all for buying the bigger rotors if they are not as expensive.. it might take more to crack them due to more area to disperse heat.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance 6g72 View Post
    hmm.. okay

i was looking at the 11inch rotor options available. it seems like its just a bolt in option? or do i need the bigger calipers? id be all for buying the bigger rotors if they are not as expensive.. it might take more to crack them due to more area to disperse heat.
    Your 93 duster could have 11" front brakes with the addition of 11" minivan calipers and brackets. You'll need to purchase 11" rotors for a big brake car though. Get them for any 89' TII car or an R/T. That would be a huge upgrade for you.

turbo addict

im a nooob at brakes. when you say brakets, what do you mean?

so i can get minivan calipers (any minivan or a specific year??)

and then rotors for an 89 TII. idk what you mean by TII. when i think TII i think shelby car and i dont think parts stores have those parts?

im curious about LH (first gen stratus, etc) brake options.

sense this post was made, ive gotten more and more into upgrading the brakes even though mine are good enough.. but i guess you can never have to good of brakes.. might save my --- some day.

im a nooob at brakes. when you say brakets, what do you mean?

so i can get minivan calipers (any minivan or a specific year??)

and then rotors for an 89 TII. idk what you mean by TII. when i think TII i think shelby car and i dont think parts stores have those parts?

im curious about LH (first gen stratus, etc) brake options.

sense this post was made, ive gotten more and more into upgrading the brakes even though mine are good enough.. but i guess you can never have to good of brakes.. might save my --- some day.
    There were two types of 11" brakes on our cars.

The 89' Turbo II cars (Lebaron, Daytona and maybe Lancer) came with 11" vented disks on all four corners. On the front these cars had the Bracket which the Caliper normally bolts to cast as part of the knuckle so there isn't an actual bracket to go with them. From what I've read they are the lightest of the brakes for that reason. I'm not sure what size brakes the 90' VNT cars received.

The R/Ts and IROC R/Ts also received 11" brakes, but they had the later style knuckle with the bolt in hubs and caliper brackets which bolt to them. The caliper then bolts to the bracket.

Both types of front brakes used rotors which fit our 5x100 bolt pattern for the wheels.

The later minivans with 11" brakes (I don't know exactly which ones came with it I just look at them in the yard) have the bolt on brackets for the later knuckles but they have the larger minivan bolt pattern. Your knuckles are compatible with these caliper brackets so it would be very inexpensive and easy for you to make the switch.

What type of rear brakes do you have?

turbo addict

trying to take all this in.. prolly have to read that a few more times.

i have drums in the rear still. im in need of a new rear axle so im hoping to swap to rear disk in the springtime

trying to take all this in.. prolly have to read that a few more times.

i have drums in the rear still. im in need of a new rear axle so im hoping to swap to rear disk in the springtime
    From what I understand the turbo cars got a trailing arm with a slightly wider track. Try to get one of those.

In all reality you'll be fine with the 10.5" solid rear disks. Heck, in all reality you probably won't gain anything from the disk swap except for added weight with the trade off of easier brake jobs.

turbo addict

ill worry about that when the time comes

im real curious about LH brakes. Can i use their rotors? can i use an 11inch rotor with my current calipers?

from what i took in, i can use minivan calipers BUT i need their brackets (unsure of what year) along with 11 inch rotors from a TII car but i dont know where to get tII rotors

that would get me 11inch rotors with 60mm calipers?

ill worry about that when the time comes

im real curious about LH brakes. Can i use their rotors? can i use an 11inch rotor with my current calipers?

from what i took in, i can use minivan calipers BUT i need their brackets (unsure of what year) along with 11 inch rotors from a TII car but i dont know where to get tII rotors

that would get me 11inch rotors with 60mm calipers?
    yes, you'll need the brackets. You can get the TII rotors from most places, but I would just get them from autozone etc. if you're going to be driving them hard enough to go through them in a year so you can just warranty them out. If not, I picked up my rotors for cheap from rockauto.com

Yes, you would have 11" rotors with 60mm calipers. It's the best setup for our cars.

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

I just checked Rockauto.com. The caliper brackets are about $15 each. Front rotors are $7 each right now on closeout. This is a pretty cheap project you've stumbled upon.

turbo addict

will junkyard brackets work? i mean.. this car is far from flawless so if a decent used bracket works just as good as a new one then thats the way to go. Those are cheep rotors too.

what car do i look up for the rotors? i know you gave me a list but i dont think i can look those cars up at autozone.. wouldnt the default "turbo" option be a TI setup?

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

can you give me the rock auto part number for those rotors? thanks

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

You can't use Minivan knuckles on cars, it ruins the turning radius, you don't need a new rear axle to run discs, it all bolts up, but you should put a 24mm master cylinder on, get one for a 89 Caravan and the parts stores can't screw it up.

Any 91+ Grand Caravan or factory 15" wheel Van will have 11" brakes, so grab the calipers and brackets and your set, or find an R/T.

Rotors, look up 87-89 Shelby Z with the TII engine aka 2.2 turbo factory intercooled or 91+ Spirit or 92+ Daytona with factory 15" wheels and rear discs will get you the right rotors.

Don't mess with LH stuff, it seems its for guys wanting to mod and stay with 10" rotors for wheel reasons. Rbyrant sells Hawk pads for $40 for the 91+ brakes.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

well i need a new rear axle in general but anyways, do i need the new master cyl for the rear disc swap or just in general. the rear disk swap might never happen.

calipers and brackets from 91+ van
    rotors for 89 daytona factory intercooled. i think i can handle that. thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    You can't use Minivan knuckles on cars, it ruins the turning radius, you don't need a new rear axle to run discs, it all bolts up, but you should put a 24mm master cylinder on, get one for a 89 Caravan and the parts stores can't screw it up.

Any 91+ Grand Caravan or factory 15" wheel Van will have 11" brakes, so grab the calipers and brackets and your set, or find an R/T.

Rotors, look up 87-89 Shelby Z with the TII engine aka 2.2 turbo factory intercooled or 91+ Spirit or 92+ Daytona with factory 15" wheels and rear discs will get you the right rotors.

Don't mess with LH stuff, it seems its for guys wanting to mod and stay with 10" rotors for wheel reasons. Rbyrant sells Hawk pads for $40 for the 91+ brakes.
    well i need a new rear axle in general but anyways, do i need the new master cyl for the rear disc swap or just in general. the rear disk swap might never happen.

calipers and brackets from 91+ van
    rotors for 89 daytona factory intercooled. i think i can handle that. thanks guys
    You can't include the 87' and 88' Daytonas in that list as those never came with the 11" brakes. Of the TII cars only the 89's received the 11" brakes. You'll also want to make sure that the disks you're getting are for the Daytona Shelby with vented rears. I guarantee that Autozone etc. will order you the ES brakes unless you double check them. I've had that happen multiple times now.

I would recommend a MC swap, but it's not totally necessary Jon trotter had 11" fronts with stock drums on his S car and it worked fine.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    You can't include the 87' and 88' Daytonas in that list as those never came with the 11" brakes. Of the TII cars only the 89's received the 11" brakes. You'll also want to make sure that the disks you're getting are for the Daytona Shelby with vented rears. I guarantee that Autozone etc. will order you the ES brakes unless you double check them. I've had that happen multiple times now.

I would recommend a MC swap, but it's not totally necessary Jon trotter had 11" fronts with stock drums on his S car and it worked fine.
    True, but sometimes the listings are wrong, so yeah, better just stick with 89, lol.

The larger MC just gives a firmer pedal feel with the larger brakes so yeah, optional.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

should autozone's computer specify that they are 11inch rotors? or will it just be a part number

thats what i need, is a part number if you guys have one.

thanks for all the help.

$7.33 at rock auto right now...

AUTOSPECIALTY / KELSEY-HAYES Part # AR8327E

Autozone lists some for $33 each, but I didn't take that info down since those jerks made me convert from mm to inches.

turbo addict

okay thanks!

turbo addict

just bought 2 AUTOSPECIALTY / KELSEY-HAYES Part # AR8327E

i looked up 89 daytona turbo 2.2 didnt specify intercooled or not so i hope this is the right part number? it was the ones on sale. $37 shipped

just bought 2 AUTOSPECIALTY / KELSEY-HAYES Part # AR8327E

i looked up 89 daytona turbo 2.2 didnt specify intercooled or not so i hope this is the right part number? it was the ones on sale. $37 shipped
    That should be the right part. The trick to it is to know that of the turbo daytonas in 89' Only the turbo II motor was a 2.2. All of the TI motors were 2.5s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast