Thread: 1985 Dodge Omni GLHT- The journey begins

Hybrid booster

1985 Dodge Omni GLHT- The journey begins

Hey guys,

I have been away from here for many, many years & am starting to get back into the GLHT. The last time I drove the car was back in August 2007. I bought the car in 2007 from a buddy of mine for $1000 with a blown engine, to replace the GLHT I had with rusted out frame. Got the engine swapped alright & took the car to the 2007 Chrysler Nationals in Carlisle PA. In August I was driving the car up & down Brice Road when she started smoking. I stopped at the local Kmart & put a bottle of engine treatment to take care of the smoking. It did for about 5 miles. Over the past few years I would start up the car & drive it around the block but that was just about it. Well, I've got my Ford Pinto just about finished so I have decided to take a break from her & work on getting the GLHT back on the road.

I had done some quick checking & I think the turbo is shot. When I had that engine in the other GLHT I had a bad computer that was allowing the turbo to overboost bigtime & I think in the process toasted the turbo. What I plan on doing is properly diagnosing the car to make sure it isn't anything more serious like bad rings but either way I am gonna fix this car up.

When I get a moment I'm gonna get some pics of how she sits now. I will update this post as I work on the car. And to think. I thought about getting rid of the car for a while.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: 1985 Dodge Omni GLHT- The journey begins

Welcome Back! We now have a "Project Log" thread so I moved your thread there. subscribed!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

Oh cool, Thanks! I'm glad to be back & finally working on getting this sleeper on the road. She has had a long enough nap anyways lol

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

In for the pics.

Hybrid booster

Didn't get a chance to get any today but I think I have some older ones of when I got the car in 2007. I'll have to look on another computer that they were on.

Hybrid booster

These are from shortly after I got the car back on the road in 2007.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l_02d54cdebdbf661eba165b7df093afff.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	36602

Name:	l_04a65f002f6e16dd090c2fd400486212.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	36603

Name:	l_256cfbe25a8d915ff7869362a56fb12a.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	36604

Name:	l_29293aec391c6189d0b0a1aff852fcba.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	36605

Name:	l_14540973035790047fa8714d01f6e617.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	36606

Name:	l_dbae135ab551ff4d6705e1f3489da650.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	36607

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Looks very solid! I like the silver too

Hybrid booster

Thanks. It's a South Carolina car with zero rust on the floors. The roof & hood have a little bit of surface rust & the car is in major need of a repaint but that will come in teh next year or so.

Since those pics I have gotten a pair of Shelby seats in the front & also the rear. I plan on replacing the turbo, installing a stage 2 LM, 2.5" exhaust, 803 injectors & who knows what else.

This is gonna be fun.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeglht View Post
    Thanks. It's a South Carolina car with zero rust on the floors. The roof & hood have a little bit of surface rust & the car is in major need of a repaint but that will come in teh next year or so.

Since those pics I have gotten a pair of Shelby seats in the front & also the rear. I plan on replacing the turbo, installing a stage 2 LM, 2.5" exhaust, 803 injectors & who knows what else.

This is gonna be fun.
    It should be a blast. I'm not sure if you're aware or not, but the silver is a very rare color for the GLHTs.

My advice it to just take it really slowly with the mods and enjoy the car. Mine is always apart awaiting some grandiose plan which takes three years.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    It should be a blast. I'm not sure if you're aware or not, but the silver is a very rare color for the GLHTs.

My advice it to just take it really slowly with the mods and enjoy the car. Mine is always apart awaiting some grandiose plan which takes three years.
    Yup, sure do. The GLHT I had before was black & when I got the silver one I originally thought about painting the car black but then decided to leave it silver, as that color combination was more rare. No second guessing myself on that one lol.

Hybrid booster

I was planning on going to the junkyard today but it is raining so I am waiting for it to stop, so I went ahead & pulled the battery & hooked it up to a charger. I also looked in the cowl to see what could be causing a flood on the floorboards & I found the seam sealer around the HVAC air vent is just about shot. I'm gonna go ahead & get some new to put around that to see if it solves the leak on the passenger side. I'm not sure what is causing the leak on the driver side but I'm gonna investigate farther. It could be the windshield seal or another leaking seam. Hopefully it won't be the windshield since I don't wanna have to have it pulled. I plan on trying to clean out the interior soon & then will go ahead & take pics.

Hybrid booster

I ended up getting to the junkyard today to get me some parts. It went good but not as good as I would have liked. I did however find an 86 Laser turbo & might go back to see what I can get off it. I got an arm rest I needed, alternator bushing, air cleaner tube, driver side trim that mounts behind the seat belt & a radio. I didn't plan on getting the radio but the one on the car keeps shutting off. I have hooked the battery to the charger but I'm thinking it might be shot. It was a cheap used one when I got it so I don't think it has any life left in it but we'll see. I bought some black sealer & am seeing how that will work at the HVAC box. I probably should have done it the right way & removed the old stuff but oh well. Worth a try.