Thread: Ford 6.0

turbo addict

Ford 6.0

Has anyone messed with the 6.0 much. I'm thinking of picking up a van that needs some work with the 6.0. I called the guy and he said that it was at a dealership and it supposedly blew an injector. They told him it needed an injector, high pressure oil rail, and a front cover. I am unsure why it needed the front cover but the rail and injector shouldn't be too crazy. Its a 2005 3/4 ton work van in great shape with new tires even. He only wants 1500 bucks for it so I figured it might be a small investment that could turn a decent profit.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Ford 6.0

As long as the engine is good, $1500 is a good deal. You can get a set of injectors for $1000, EGR and oil cooler fix's for another $600 or so then you'll have a solid engine.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    As long as the engine is good, $1500 is a good deal. You can get a set of injectors for $1000, EGR and oil cooler fix's for another $600 or so then you'll have a solid engine.

I was thinking of just doing 1 injector and then I think I can fix it for under 1000. I don't like ford but it might just make a good tow rig/service truck.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

As Simon said, the that is a good price. I know a kid who bought an F-250 with one for $2000. The guy was tired of messing with it. He did the fixes that Simon mentioned and it runs like a top.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hybrid booster

I would stay away from it honestly. We have a truck at work with a 6.0 in it. It's constantly at the dealer. One problem after another. It's $1500 now, but the cost of repairs will be crazy on it. We also have a couple Ford's with the 6.4, which I think is just a re-designed 6.0. The first truck had two engines installed before it even had 10,000 miles on it. The second one already blew a turbo. Both those vehicles were purchased less than a year ago and get pretty heavy daily use including a lot of towing duty. May I ask what you will be using the vehicle for? If you are looking for a work van, I would stick with the 6.8 V10 gas engine personally. That is if I were buying a Ford...

turbo addict

If I were to use it, I would travel plus tow a trailer with the shadow on it. But I was thinking more along the lines of selling for profit or trade for a truck when I got it running.

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    I was thinking of just doing 1 injector and then I think I can fix it for under 1000. I don't like ford but it might just make a good tow rig/service truck.
    Waste of time doing one injector, you have to take most of it apart, plus replacing all 8 is a nice selling feature. Most diesel guys won't look at a truck with only one injector replaced.

If repaired properly, it will be a wicked tow rig.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

If they did the high pressure fuel rail there had to be a leak some where. The diesel vans are also hard on front end parts too. I took alot of course's threw ford on that 6 liter money eater engine so if you need any help let me know. If you can get your hands on a IDS (Ford scanner) i would test the ipr and ipm.

turbo addict

its already torn down. Im more wondering why they say it needs a front cover. Its an 05 so it already has the updated cover on it. Im thinking that ford might have been ripping the guy off.

Garrett booster

I work at a used dealership and am very glad that I am seeing less and less 6.0Ls. I wouldnt touch one with a 100ft pole.

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    its already torn down. Im more wondering why they say it needs a front cover. Its an 05 so it already has the updated cover on it. Im thinking that ford might have been ripping the guy off.
    Nah, dealerships never do that,

boostaholic

Its already torn down? I'd run.
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

I agree if someone has already been messing with it, I would run. 1500 is cheap but if you need to dump a few more grand into it, its not worth it. There are other good deals out there. But if you do get it, do all the injectors. I am not sure if you need to do it on those but on some of the newer diesels like the duramax when you buy an injector set the have been flow tested and have the flow numbers, these must be programmed into the ecu for the new injectors to work correctly. I completely agree with Simon, do it right and fix the egr issue as well. Those engines had lots of problems, by the final years of production they fixed most of the problems and from what I was told were a great engine but by that time no one wanted them.
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member

turbo addict

I ended up passing on it. Now if only I could find another jeep liberty for 1200 that just needs a crank sensor.