Thread: 1987 Daytona Shelby restoration Seals

Mitsu booster

1987 Daytona Shelby restoration Seals

Hey, new to the forums and hoping i can find some help here. Im doing a restoration & looking for a line on some replacement door seals & T-top seals for a 1987 Daytona Shelby. They are hard to come by in my area for the T-top shelby. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hybrid booster

Re: 1987 Daytona Shelby restoration Seals

They are hard to come by anywhere.

You can get the t-top seals from here.
    http://www.arizonaparts.com/

I too am looking for doors seals. Haven't found them yet.

Welcome to the forum. Where in Ontario are you?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

'ShelbyMopar89' he did have some but that was a few years ago now.

I have lots of T-top parts including the weatherstripping.

www.arizonaparts.com

For a DESCRIPTION search put in: t-top

that will show you all the t-top only parts I have

boostaholic

Be ready to dish out about 500 bucks for new ones...as the people that do have them jacked the prices up cause they know you can't get them anywhere else...

When your business is buying and reselling specialty obsolete inventory, you may very well end up sittting on it for years or even decades (if your around that long) before a buyer comes along to purchase it. That part you paid $30 for from the seller, may have only cost them $7 but when its sitting on the shelf for 20-30 years its costing them money as well... Idle inventory is a tricky area of business to be in... I dont like it one bit either but guess what.... it is what it is.

Dont like it then do something about it. I tried and will probably lose several hundred dollars as a result....

Quote Originally Posted by 89ShelbyGuy View Post
    Be ready to dish out about 500 bucks for new ones...as the people that do have them jacked the prices up cause they know you can't get them anywhere else...
    You know whats funny? They have been NS1'ed for over 10 years, Martin and I are selling NOS seals within $50.00 bucks or so (shipped) from what Mother Mopar sold them for 25 years ago. That does not even cover the interest I paid on the loan for the warehouse buy in 2001. Maybe that's why I jack up the prices...
    Weather Strip, Door and glass
    R-151.00
    L-235.00
    Seal, Side Rail
    Total- $543.00<---- FROM THE DEALER

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    When your business is buying and reselling specialty obsolete inventory, you may very well end up sittting on it for years or even decades (if your around that long) before a buyer comes along to purchase it. That part you paid $30 for from the seller, may have only cost them $7 but when its sitting on the shelf for 20-30 years its costing them money as well... Idle inventory is a tricky area of business to be in... I dont like it one bit either but guess what.... it is what it is.

Dont like it then do something about it. I tried and will probably lose several hundred dollars as a result....
    Yea it is what it is....it just sucks, cause i paid 600 for the car....and now i gotta pay 5 bills for fricken rubber....and beleive me...i've looked for replacements.....someone needs to find the acual molds of them.....i was also looking at the older mustang ones..the ttop seals...ofcoarse they still make those!!! and sell them for 100 a side...

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by shelbymopar89 View Post
    You know whats funny? They have been NS1'ed for over 10 years, Martin and I are selling NOS seals within $50.00 bucks or so (shipped) from what Mother Mopar sold them for 25 years ago. That does not even cover the interest I paid on the loan for the warehouse buy in 2001. Maybe that's why I jack up the prices...
    Weather Strip, Door and glass
    R-151.00
    L-235.00
    Seal, Side Rail
    Total- $543.00<---- FROM THE DEALER

When you buy up inventory at a warehouse, don't you usually get a deal on them?

This ttop seal is a reaaaall big sore spot for me...i want them...need them, but dropping over 500 bucks for the set is a huge set back..but it is what it is...and down the line i will probably go over the hump...but i'll be b*itchen the entire time!

We dont drive camaro's or mustangs, one obscure car produced for a handfull of years with very little current/future market demand is going to be VERY difficult to make the business case to a company spending $6-7k per mold to reproduce a part that they might sell 25 of in a year if there lucky.

OK Have any of you tried to price OEM parts for newer cars. Insane ridiculous. 2002 300 M gauge cluster (includes the circuit board) $1,100.00 and if you don't have a core add another 500.00 Put one in from a wrecking yard and it won't work unless it's reprogrammed.

Try making something like a weatherstrip where there's a right/left and the tooling costs a fortune when you're making small batches. See Chris at Turbos Unleashed trying to make a 16V Masi valve cover....tooling costs 10,000.00 Now that's no big deal if you have a production run of 50,000 then the costs per unit are cheap.

I just bought a load of 84-91 G body "window scrapers" for the non t-top cars and am selling them for 60.00 each NOS and have sold 4 sets in 2 months. Do you think you could make them for that? I have been buying parts for my business for 32 years and plenty of the stuff I still have from the beginning as it's a giant crap shoot guessing what the demand is for anything. I have 39,200 part numbers back to 1935.

While it's true for those who have cars they got for a song it's a tough pill to swallow to dump 500.00 on weatherstripping. But unless you want your 500.00 car to be full of water/rust and then become a 50.00 dollar rust bucket you'll have to buy the proper OEM parts for it.

For all of you who think that the FWD cars will never be worth any $ because right now they aren't....think back. In the 80s you could buy all sorts of muscle cars for cheap. Nice ones too. Nobody thought much of keeping them original or keeping all the parts they took and replaced with aftermarket speed equipment to make them go faster. In '85 I bought a 69 Charger 383 4 BBL 330 HP console auto with 34K miles in mint condition for 2500.00 Yeah those were the days. Blake who had the sense to buy lots of HEMI cars here in PHX got a 71 Hemi Cuda convertible with 30K miles,2 build tags LOADED with EVERY option for $30K back in the 80s when they were worth half of that. A few years ago he turned down 3 million for it. I saw it ONCE and I almost wet my pants...it was flawless and all stock. There were 7 built that year.

I certainly can't retire on what I make on the FWD parts I have and I do make money on all the truck,van,sedan,station wagon,full size boat anchor cars (Fury,Imperial,Monacos,etc),compact cars Valiant,Dart,Aspen,Volares and all the rest of the Mopars that were produced.

Nobody is putting a gun to your head to buy anything and if someone has it cheaper than me buy it. I'd do the same. I learned long ago that no matter what it is you might as well buy the best or sooner (not later) you be buying it again when it fails. Especially true of NOS vs used parts. OR tools and of course cars. My cheapest car?
    1964 Rambler 75.00 and drove it fro 6 years and it was NICE and never needed anything. 1st car:1948 Dodge coupe 100.00 and a month later the engine blew and had to borrow $ from dad and got another motor from a wrecking yard. My best friend got a Corvair that ran great for 35.00 in the early 70s....Yeah I know you could buy gold for 35.00 an ounce too.
    Last edited by martin kolner; 12-15-2011 at 08:31 PM.

Garrett booster

Our Turbo Dodges don't have the following like Mustangs and Camaro/Firebirds do, and that is where places like Year One, Classic Industries etc.. are going towards, basicly where the money is. The bad part is when you do find an NOS part at a dealer alot of times they will charge whatever they want, especially if they know it's something rare. I bought fog light covers for my 91 spirit 7 years ago, I had a local dealer give me a print out of the inventory, 3 dealers had one each. I called all 3 up,1 said no they didn't know what i was talking about, 1 said I could have it for $8.00 plus shipping and the other said $30.00 plus shipping. As the cars get older and if no one is reproducing parts, of course NOS prices are going to go up. After owning many Turbo Dodges, I grab whatever I can get for it. Yes sometimes the prices are high, but were else are you going to find it. I bought the NOS T-top seals from shelbymopar89 for my 89 daytona, but sold the car, and I have also bought items from Arizona Parts too for my CSX-T I used to own. I think it's great that they have this stuff to sell. If fact, Martin there is something you have that I want for my 89 Lebaron GTS. I also own a 91 Mustang LX 5.0 convert and some of the stuff i have gotten for the car that where reproductions are crap. You get what you pay for.