Thread: Ostrich not burning cal

Ostrich not burning cal

Hmm, usually someone is helping me with writing files to my Ostrich setup, so forgive my ignorance. I've done this before and even put a cal on it back about a month or so ago, but now I'm not able to write a file to it, so it seems. I believe the configuration below is correct.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic5.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	36452

I can read a file from it and pull it down and I'm 99.999% sure this is the setting I had when I wrote this to file back a month ago. I say this because I sent an email to Frank who I had asked what the settings were and then when I figured them out, I sent them to him so the information would be somewhere for reference.

I'm thinking that the .bin file is smaller than the range and therefore isn't going to write the file because it doesn't know where to start writing. Anyone have any advice or suggestions about what the settings should be? And I've tried upper and lower case with no luck.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Re: Ostrich not burning cal

when in doubt - use MPTuner. gets rid of the file start address (offset) guessing. short of that, clear the end justify box in Emutility and try it again. if you're stuck on using Emutility only, refer to the KC article on LM/SMEC/SBEC tuning FAQ's (under calibrations); the offsets are listed there, the ostrich is 64K.

Ive got a few cals lurking around I can send which write fine..??..Maybe try reinstalling your software so it is setup to defaults. Just a LM file? Mine has always woked, so Im probaly no help here..lol, but I dont see to many helpful posts and thought something is better than nothing.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by trannybuster View Post
    lol, but I dont see to many helpful posts and thought something is better than nothing.
    nothing?

I'm mostly sure it is the end-justify box. when I first started with the Ostrich, it took a while to figure this out - as I remember, our cal's are different than the majority of what Ostrich's are used on (which is why EmUtility defaults with it checked). if I'm wrong, than your "nothing" stands.

turbo addict
    I've never had issues with flashing the ostrich. It always picked its own start address and it worked. All I did was make sure the dropdown was right the gave it the file and hit execute.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hybrid booster

if you check the KC for the memory map, and understand file offset - you'll see what I mean. it took me forever to actually functionally comprehend the offset, even after weeks of reading prior to getting my Ostrich. even Chris at xenocron needed to give it some serious thought to see why I was having this problem. as simple as I can make it:

the correct offset (16k LM file on Ostrich=C000, which minigts has right) leaves ONLY enough room to fit a 16k file. if you "end-justify I/O RAM", you are placing the RAM allocation behind the file. a single byte past 16k will result in the out of range error he is getting.

try clearing that box. worst that can happen is the car won't start (I did this myself when I got the Ostrich) and you can say years of partying has left my memory out of range.

Hybrid booster

now that I look at it - minigts, is that a 32k file? offset is 8000. I'm still 99.9% sure you'll need to clear end-justify, but I've been on MPTuner for a couple years now. like I said, that takes the guessing out of it. EmUtility is bare-bones, you have to enter everything correctly.

Hey guys, I haven't messed with this since my post, but I will take a look at it Sunday. I'm pretty sure the settings I have were used on the cal I have. But I didn't use mptuner v2 before, so that may be the difference. Thanks for the info and I'll post up my findings when I do the testing Sunday.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by x.Gen View Post
    nothing?

I'm mostly sure it is the end-justify box. when I first started with the Ostrich, it took a while to figure this out - as I remember, our cal's are different than the majority of what Ostrich's are used on (which is why EmUtility defaults with it checked). if I'm wrong, than your "nothing" stands.
    Helpful=any help at all posts...just you and me, and Ive never had any issues so my help is limited.

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

Well, and now Shackwrr...

Hybrid booster

I'm just bored and hammering out smilies every post this weekend...it didn't really bother me (if it came across like it did). figured if I bumped the thread enough, maybe minigts might even tell us if he gets it squared away.

is it me, or are the worthy smilies disappearing for some reason? what kind of sorry-arse eye-rolling smiley is that? what happened to the good one?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

What are you using to write up the file? I've never had to alter the starting address's, it always auto executes. Did you alter the file, is the tbl file called the same?

Did you clear out the Ostrich and do a blank check?

Quote Originally Posted by x.Gen View Post

is it me, or are the worthy smilies disappearing for some reason? what kind of sorry-arse eye-rolling smiley is that? what happened to the good one?
    I keep bringing it up but nothing but cold silence, they are pretty sad, looks like DodgeZ or a child made them,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict
    Tapatalk still has the cool smiles
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Hmm, usually someone is helping me with writing files to my Ostrich setup, so forgive my ignorance. I've done this before and even put a cal on it back about a month or so ago, but now I'm not able to write a file to it, so it seems. I believe the configuration below is correct.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic5.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	36452

I can read a file from it and pull it down and I'm 99.999% sure this is the setting I had when I wrote this to file back a month ago. I say this because I sent an email to Frank who I had asked what the settings were and then when I figured them out, I sent them to him so the information would be somewhere for reference.

I'm thinking that the .bin file is smaller than the range and therefore isn't going to write the file because it doesn't know where to start writing. Anyone have any advice or suggestions about what the settings should be? And I've tried upper and lower case with no luck.
    You're very close to correct there. 0xc000 > 0x8000 so if your file is only 0x8000 long, emutility can't do what you're asking it. Basically, you don't want any file offset, that field should be set to 0x0000 unless you know for some specific reason it shouldn't be. Just based upon your settings and the error I'd say that you're specifying an offset that's longer than the file itself.

Quote Originally Posted by risen View Post
    You're very close to correct there. 0xc000 > 0x8000 so if your file is only 0x8000 long, emutility can't do what you're asking it. Basically, you don't want any file offset, that field should be set to 0x0000 unless you know for some specific reason it shouldn't be. Just based upon your settings and the error I'd say that you're specifying an offset that's longer than the file itself.
    I'll try that. I copied a cal to the chip using those same settings as I specified and it worked. For this file it didn't, but never hurts to try something different. And I haven't had time to mess with this since I got sick last time I posted, but I have some time today to play with it, so maybe I'll see if I can get it working. I'd like to get my 3 bar MAP going so I don't have to part throttle every where I go. :$

Ok, I was able to get the cal on the computer, but it's not really running right. The pump kinda primes, almost sounds like it's priming, then not, priming, then not. All the sensors are kinda haywire, but the car will start, which is odd. I have it set for +20 injectors (42lbs/hr, right?) and a 3 bar map using a base cal for an 87 CSX. Maybe someone could take a look at the file and confirm? I'll post up all the files I built with the cal. Hope I don't have it all wacko.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I think the timing curve is still for a swirl head and I have a g-head....hmm. That I don't think has anything to do with how it sounds at key on, but that would account for the rough, non-existent idle I think?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by minigts; 01-16-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Ok, tried to put the original cal on there and it's doing the same thing. The files are writing to the chip, but something isn't right. When I did this last time, I set the File Start Address to 0xc000 and the size to 0x8000 and it wrote the file. I know this because I was emailing Frank asking him and when I got it I wrote it in email so I could find it later. But now neither files are working as intended. Both files yield the same results. The files are 16K in size, so both should have the same settings for writing to the chip and I can't imagine the file writing, but not writing to the right spot and it doesn't fail. Sucks because now I don't have a vehicle to drive, but I don't have to be anywhere tomorrow so I have some time to get this working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AND it's now writing at whatever value I set, so that isn't good. I'll look, but is there a way to wipe an Ostrich of any info to have it blank? I prefer it better when others are doing this.

PHEW!!! Well I got the original cal that Frank made me back on using the settings I had 0xc000 and 0x8000, but I believe that file was built with MP1, not MP2. Seems like there is something haywire with probably the base files I'm using, so I'll have to figure that out. But got the car started fine again, so at least I have a mobile vehicle.